• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Best looking radial tire and size similar F-70-14?

classicsguy

What radial tire brand and size is the best looking for a GT/CS that is supposed to have from factory a F70-14. Thanks for replies!

p51

classicsguy said:
What radial tire brand and size is the best looking for a GT/CS that is supposed to have from factory a F70-14. Thanks for replies!
From previous discussions on the site it *seems* that most would rank the modern tires in terms of how "classic" they look (meaning similar to the original tires) as follows:

(1) BF Goodrich Radial TA
(2) Goodyear Eagle GT II
(3) Goodyear Eagle #1 Nascar
(4) Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

With a significant majority opting for #1.

As far as a tire size conversion chart is concerned...

http://links.vintage-mustang.com/FAQ/tires.txt
(or Google "tire conversion chart f70" and you find a whole bunch of pages that relate to this)

As far as safety is concerned...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=PAS

Having said that, "best looking" is sorta personal taste. I opted for the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 because to me they are as good looking (if not better looking) as the other options and I know from experience that they have much better traction than the Goodyear Eagle GT II - I consider safety the overriding concern. But they are not quite as classic looking as the others.

68gt390

Unfortunately the Goodyear Eagle GT II is no longer offered. That's what I've been running on my car and have had no complaints with them. I know some have complained about how they handle in the rain.

Don

Attachments

• 68GTCS 4.jpg
    68GTCS 4.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 51

rvrtrash

I always liked the way the '67 Shelby Kelsey-Hayes Magstars with BF Goodrich (Euro) TA's looked on my '72 Mach 1. I think they would look good on the CS also and be something just a little different than you usually see.

Rain? We don't do no stinkin' rain! :grin:

Steve

p51

classicsguy said:
Thanks for replies but no one has mentioned tire size???????
F70-14 ~= 215/70R14 (see conversion chart). That's what I have on my car. I think it looks good...

PFSlim

classicsguy said:
Thanks for replies but no one has mentioned tire size???????

I think it very much depends on the way you want your car to look. The 215 looks very good and is a good sub. I think Jason runs a 225 or 235 under his car. I run a 205 up front with a 235 in back which helps take out the neg rake of the Mustang.

If I had it to do over, I would put the 215 up front and 235 in back. I think the 205 looks to small under the front fenders. However, look at my gallery and see what you think.

Paul

390cs68rcode

yep I run 235's on my CJ and Polyglas ones on the CS (I would guess they are 205's). The 235's fill out the wheel wells very nicely. We cut 3/4 of a coil off the front springs to lower the front end a little on the CJ. No rubbing.

Mosesatm

For speedometer purposes the trick is to keep the overall diameter of the tire. I think the F70-14 is around 26 1/4" or so. The fronts can be any diameter, except that you won't be able to rotate the tires if you use 2 different sizes front and rear.