• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Metal tag Decipher

franklinair

I'm in the process of cleaning & sanitizing my '68, and need info as to what these tags are telling me. The one off the engine says 302 C 68 1, the second row says 80F K284-J. The carb tag reads C8ZF D, smaller letters read B 8E8. Anyone know how to decipher these?

Neil:undecided

J_Speegle

Kevin Marti has a new book (came out a few months ago) that focuses on decoding all the different tags. Think that is exactly what you need and a good addition to any library

Its available directly from Kevin or many of the parts suppliers have them - believe its called the "Tag Book" or something like that

The one tag you list is the engine identification that tells you the size, the code the change level and the date it was completed in May 68. The other is the car tag telling you the application and the date of June 68 Looks to be a four barrel 4300 Autolite

clubpro

You can find the 65-73 Mustang tag decoder book at RnRclassics.net and your cost would be $23.50 plus shipping. Don't order from the website just send me an email. The website has the retail prices not the GT/CS discount prices.

Cheers,

Ron

@Holmes

Neil the enginering codes and part #s use the same format. The C8ZF-D is a Autolight 4300:
C - "C" parts = 1960 whereas "D" parts = 1970
8 - Year
Z - eginering code for Mustang
F - enginering code for engine part
D - The D is for an Automatic whereas C is for a Manual

B - Plant? not sure
8 - day
E - month = May
8 - year

so its May 8, 1968

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Bless Your Bones!! That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Neil