• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Seat Belts

OP
OP
P

PB gtcs

thanks for the reply, So our Cal Spec had and is spose to have three points for the front? All were non retractable? That is folded up to the headliner? Was 68 the only year for this for the Stangs?

Brian

Sarge

As I recall, the Dept. of Transportation required 3 point belts for all cars which were not convertibles to have them in the front seats. Precursor to this was the "bulbous" center hub of the steering wheel in '67.

I do not know about 69 Mustangs, but the 69 Cougar still had the "headliner" third belt, so I would believe that the Mustangs did as well. I would take a pic, but it is raining cats and dogs here in San Jose, and Baby doesn't do rain. I will try to post a pic when the sun shines, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Robert

case12

My CS does not have the shoulder belt (and the headliner does not have any holes in it). I wonder if mine were taken off in a past restoration, or did some 68's not have the shoulder belt? I looked in all my books, and they seem to imply all hardtops and fastbacks had a shoulder belt?

Paul, I noticed the green CS on ebay right now has some pictures (although not great ones) of the shoulder belt.

Casey

nfrntau

My GT/CS has the headliner third belt. Not sure about the Mustangs but I had a 70.5 Falcon (Torino body style) that had the headliner third belt in it. Very uncomfortable I might add.
I seem to remember a discussion a ways back indicating the third belt was added sometime after the 68 year started production so some would have it and others produced prior to a certain date would not. If I can find it I will bring it forward.

nfrntau

Type in shoulder for a search. Go back two years and give plenty of responses. Theres a whole bunch written on this subject.
Cheers

case12

Thanks for the search tip. Lots of good info. What I learned is that Jan 1 1968 was when a shoulder belt appears to have been mandated, but not all cars got the shoulder belt, including some GT/CS's. Also I learned there are TWO "push button clips" or receptors to snap together the lap belt AND the should belt at the same time (I have seen this in advertisement literature). However, my car has no shoulder belt, and only ONE recepter - so I am going with the theory that my CS was one of those that did not have a shoulder belt from the factory. Mine was built Feb 21. Casey

Sarge

Casey,
Anything built Jan. 1 or later "should" have had the shoulder belts. The receptors both anchored to the same bolt on the transmission tunnel behind the front seats. I would imagine that someone sometime replaced your headliner, and didn't bother with the shoulder belt, and also took off one of the receptors.

The anchor point for the shoulder belt bolt is about 1 3/4" behind and level with the "coat hook" hanger. If you feel around there with your hand, you can feel where the bolt should go in. I am trying to attach a pic, but it is really bright today, and I had to get flood lamps out to show interior.
Robert

Attachments

• Seat_Belt.jpg
    Seat_Belt.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 21

rjw

Sarge, I agree with you. The previous owner had replaced my headliner and all of the seat belts were in a box in the trunk. (Including the shoulder belt and receiver.) Although I installed the front lap belts, I haven't gotten around to installing the shoulder belt.
Richard