• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Styled Steel GT Wheels, how to clean & prep?

68gulfstream

Parts are starting to arrive and the wheels are here. The chrome parts look fine for my driver purposes, but I'm wondering if I should clean the insides/back where there is some gunk and corrosion.

Just leave them? Or media blast the insides and paint with some kind of rustproofing? They are off the car right now with no tires, so if I'm gong to do something it's my best chance.

Also gonna need some input on valve stems & lug nuts.

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

robert campbell

Eric,
You can use an engine degreaser such as Gunk on the back side icky stuff. You will need a stiff brush and go to your local auto parts store and get some stiff "toothbrush" sized brushes. You will need to really go after that stuff to get it off.

After that you can assess the rust at that point. Steel wool will remove a lot of rust and sometimes just a good waxing will preserve the backside. Remember, these wheels will not see a lot of moisture in the future!!

Rob