• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS Big block on Ebay

franklinair

Most sellers won't disclose their Reserve amount, always hoping the bidding will surpass that amount.
I wouldn't put a bid on it until you or someone laid eyeballs on it first. (8 days remaining on listing)
Then if you think its worth it, put in a bid of $30K and see what happens. You can always 'up' your bid if you deem it worthwhile. IMHO

Neil

platnumheart666

Most sellers won't disclose their Reserve amount, always hoping the bidding will surpass that amount.
I wouldn't put a bid on it until you or someone laid eyeballs on it first. (8 days remaining on listing)
Then if you think its worth it, put in a bid of $30K and see what happens. You can always 'up' your bid if you deem it worthwhile. IMHO

Neil

Is anyone in the area that is willing to go check it out? I don't why I wants to know so much about this car, it just seems like an awesome and unique GT/CS

-Annie

platnumheart666

Careful, anyone who is considering bidding on it the high bidder's stats below are a bit fishy!

The High bidder has never won/paid

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 111
Items bid on: 77

Bid retractions (6 months): 11- that is a lot of retractions

Also he only bids on cars: Bay Motors >
Ford 1 Seller 1 8d 6h
eBay Motors > Mini 1 Seller 2 5d 4h
eBay Motors > Porsche 1 Seller 3 2d 6h
eBay Motors > Porsche 1 Seller 4 3d 23h
eBay Motors > Porsche 1 Seller 5 2d 3h
eBay Motors > Toyota 1 Seller 6 4d 12h
eBay Motors > Toyota 1 Seller 7 1d 13h
eBay Motors > Jeep 1 Seller 8 6d 3h
eBay Motors > Chevrolet 1 Seller 9 2d 1h
eBay Motors > Toyota 1 Seller 10 3d 8h
eBay Motors > BMW 2 Seller 11 <1h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 12 1d 5h
eBay Motors > BMW 6 Seller 13 9d 12h
eBay Motors > BMW 2 Seller 14 22h
eBay Motors > Ford 1 Seller 15 3d
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 16 6d 1h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 17 6d 10h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 13 9d 20h
eBay Motors > Ford 1 Seller 18 4d 19h
eBay Motors > Jeep 1 Seller 19 6d 21h
eBay Motors > Land Rover 1 Seller 20 4d 1h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 21 6d 11h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 22 6d 15h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 23 9d 13h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 24 6d 22h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 25 6d 11h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 26 4d
eBay Motors > Car & Truck Parts 5 Seller 27 <1h
eBay Motors > Jeep 1 Seller 28 5d 21h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 12 8d 23h

Please let me know if I am reading this correctly? I wonder if these are cars from this dealer or why this guy drives up the bids?

Last edited:

My68GT/CS

Careful, anyone who is considering bidding on it. The high bidder is just driving up the price!
Here are his stats:
30-Day Summary
Total bids: 111
Items bid on: 77
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0% - this is number of bids he actually won and paid for!

Bid retractions (6 months): 11- that is a lot of retractions (when he accidentally wins)

Also he only bids on cars: Bay Motors >
Ford 1 Seller 1 8d 6h
eBay Motors > Mini 1 Seller 2 5d 4h
eBay Motors > Porsche 1 Seller 3 2d 6h
eBay Motors > Porsche 1 Seller 4 3d 23h
eBay Motors > Porsche 1 Seller 5 2d 3h
eBay Motors > Toyota 1 Seller 6 4d 12h
eBay Motors > Toyota 1 Seller 7 1d 13h
eBay Motors > Jeep 1 Seller 8 6d 3h
eBay Motors > Chevrolet 1 Seller 9 2d 1h
eBay Motors > Toyota 1 Seller 10 3d 8h
eBay Motors > BMW 2 Seller 11 <1h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 12 1d 5h
eBay Motors > BMW 6 Seller 13 9d 12h
eBay Motors > BMW 2 Seller 14 22h
eBay Motors > Ford 1 Seller 15 3d
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 16 6d 1h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 17 6d 10h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 13 9d 20h
eBay Motors > Ford 1 Seller 18 4d 19h
eBay Motors > Jeep 1 Seller 19 6d 21h
eBay Motors > Land Rover 1 Seller 20 4d 1h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 21 6d 11h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 22 6d 15h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 23 9d 13h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 24 6d 22h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 25 6d 11h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 26 4d
eBay Motors > Car & Truck Parts 5 Seller 27 <1h
eBay Motors > Jeep 1 Seller 28 5d 21h
eBay Motors > BMW 1 Seller 12 8d 23h

Please let me know if I am reading this correctly? I wonder if these are cars from this dealer or why this guy drives up the bids?

Hello all. As you can see from my website I'm not a big wheeler dealer car dealer. That being said, I have been in the auto repair business since 1987 and do have a WI dealers license and I do sell some of my cars from time to time to be able to acquire others (mainly Mustangs). If I could afford to keep them all I would but unfortunately that's not the case. I am also going to be listing my 70 "show car" that I've owned since 06'. Anyways, I'm much more of a collector than a dealer and am by no means a salesman but I do take pride in my vehicles and when I do sell them try to be as honest and upfront as possible. As far as EBay goes, I do use it to bring traffic to my website. I do not manufacture bids and have in the past had to cancel bids on some of my vehicles do to people playing on EBay. In this particular case the high bidder did contact me about the car and has made a genuine offer on it that i'm not willing to sell it for. It's a very nice as advertised X-code GT/CS that is a straight up, honest car. I really don't have to sell it as it's a very unique vehicle and truth be told I would much rather sell my 70' than the 68' as I'll soon be acquiring a 71' 17,000 mile Boss 351 (and possibly a 193 mile 94 Cobra Pace Car) so in my world (and Garage) somethings gotta go. Anyway's, if anyone has any questions or would like more information on this or any of my vehicles please feel free to give me a call, email or P.M.

Thanks!
B. Lake

Don

.....The high bidder is just driving up the price!
Here are his stats.....

Annie- Can you share how you know who the high bidder is? Ebay hides the bidder ID's and only the bidder and seller is supposed to be able to see the bidder ID.

p51

Bidding ended....surprised that it was not bid higher
Last bid: $26K

What I've seen is that, IMO*, ebay prices tend to be ~15%-20% below "reasonable prices" and auction prices (eg Mecum/BJ) tend to be ~15%-20% above (** caveat: see below).

I suppose the reasons are:
(1) Ebay: People buying on ebay/craigslist, etc are looking for a deal
(2) Ebay: Unless you live nearby, inspection of the vehicle is difficult
(3) Ebay: Possibility of scams
(4) Auction: Cars can be inspected/certified
(5) Auction: Most people that go to auctions tend to have $'s
(6) Auction: The presentation and excitement boost prices

If it were my car, given the description of the car, assuming it's numbers matching, no wrecks, no rust, good compression, and still in original condition, this would seem to be a candidate to take to auction to sell to a collector. The only down side I see is it's an X-code (big block w/2V carb!? WTH?... no wonder it's rare) vs an S-code (big block, 4V). IMO, the S-code GT/CS (and definitely the 428 cobra jet version) are the closest thing to a production Shelby coupe that has ever been manufactured. One might be able to say the same for an X-code - I'd advertise it as such...

* IMO: My opinion and $1.50 will get you a small cup of coffee at Starbucks

** This does not include the "unicorn" seafoam, modified, J-code GT/CS that seems to sell for >$40K over and over again at auction... if someone figures out the recipe used to sell that car, please pass it on. :wink:

My68GT/CS

Hey everyone, Just want to pass along some more info. I believe P51's opinion is spot on as are others here such as Don. I would never buy a car without personally checking it out or at the very least having someone trustworthy doing it for me. I've looked at so many vehicles in the last 30 years that look great in pic's and are always in like new condition according to the seller only to drive to Kearney NE to find plywood floor pans (true story), turn around and drive all the way home (saved me a big headache though). My son drove 6 hour's last fall to look at a rustfree 68' convertible only to look in the back seat as his foot went through the rear floor pan, as he looked under the rear of the car and saw the galvanized furnace ductwork lower 1/4's (and the list went on, true story) he proceeded back home. I've done Mecum, spent the last 8 month's getting my 70' ready for Indy, consigned it Feb 2nd to get a good spot only to have them assign it a late Saturday lot# after everyone had either left or was broke. They had called me two weeks ago with a supposed buyer from the bid goes on and as of last Friday I was under the impression they had the car sold but have heard nothing since. Evidently you need to be someone to have a good spot at their sale? Anyway's, the 68CS is for sale if anyone here is interested. I need to get $32.5 for the car which I believe is reasonable (that's my opinion though). I had a crazy offer of $39k the first day on EBay before I even had a chance to get the underside pic's on! All three previous owners of the car are listed in this registry. There is no damage or repaired damage to the original rear body panel, tail light panel, deck lid, 1/4's or frame rails. That being said my main business is auto repair & collision repair and have been in business since 1987 with an A+ BBB rating (Lake's All Season Inc). Classic Car's (mainly Mustangs) is my hobby. I've always run my business being as upfront and honest with everyone as possible. I am by no means a salesman. The car runs and drives as close to it did in 68' more so than any of the pre 70' Mustangs I've owned. As you can see by the under-body photo's it's pretty much untouched and rustfree. The X-Codes came standard with dual exhaust and as you can see the previous owner added the GT tips (without the GT valance I would return the tailpipes to the correct turn downs). The rear bumper is original rechromed, the front bumper is an aftermarket replacement along with the front lower valance being an oem replacement. Again there is no damage to any of the front end sheetmetal (front fender aprons and all underhood black finish is original and both front fenders are original and dated to the car. I would rate the paint as 7 as the car presents very nicely but when it was painted they didn't spend the extra couple hours it would have taken to properly clean & prep the lower 1/4's (as can be seen in the pic's) and some other odds and ends like that such as the original blackout on the lower rockers appears very nice but they didn't take the time to mask it off before painting the car? Being in the business these kind of things are bothersome to me. I'ts a very nice driver quality but not a 100 point show car. I've attached a link to the photo bucket if anyone is seriously interested. If so please give me a call, email or pm if you have any questions.

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/devs600sdi/library/1968 GTCS

Thanks, and have a great day!
Brance

First time posting. If you are just trolling to criticize any possible mistakes, save it for someone else. Just wanted to let you know that I took a trip up to Trevor and put eyes on this car. I am not an expert paint and body guy, nor am I claiming to be the grand wizard of all things Mustang. I can answer some questions if you are really interested and give my opinion as an owner of a GT/CS and multiple Mach 1's.

My68GT/CS

First time posting. If you are just trolling to criticize any possible mistakes, save it for someone else. Just wanted to let you know that I took a trip up to Trevor and put eyes on this car. I am not an expert paint and body guy, nor am I claiming to be the grand wizard of all things Mustang. I can answer some questions if you are really interested and give my opinion as an owner of a GT/CS and multiple Mach 1's.

Was nice talking with you and your wife. I believe I've represented the car well, if not, please let me know. I wish I would have had my 69' at the shop for you to see. I posted the above last Thursday but had to be approved by the moderators so it just posted yesterday. Mecum did sell my 70' last Friday so we drove it and the CS out to Walworth yesterday. Put a pic on our Instagram. Was a great day for a drive!

FX4

Brance I left you a message. I am interested in discussing this car. WimbledonWhiteStangs I would love to discuss your observations about this car.

Last edited:
Brance,

Thanks for showing us around your place. We really enjoyed talking with you and looking at your ponies. Good to hear that your 70 was sold. That was a nice car. I was always suspect of the Mecum "Bid Goes On", but I guess it worked in your favor. I believe you did an excellent job showing us the GT/CS. It was an added bonus that it was already on the lift when we got there. If I had an extra stall in our garage, it probably would be sitting there right now. I think you have done a good job explaining the flaws in your previous posts. As I stated before, I welcome any questions and I will provide un-biased answered based solely on my knowledge and experience as a GT/CS owner.

FX4

How special is an X-code as compared to, say a S-code? In equal condition, which is more desirable? I have contacted the dealership and I am awaiting a response on what they are looking to get and, I will see about some under-pics.

I don't see much of an issue with a paint and engine freshening. Yeah, 44k is low but due to the age, this is not wholly out of line.

-Annie

Oddly enough my research shows they go for a little less money than S code cars, although they are a little more rare. I think his asking price is in line with the value of the car. I'm going to look at it in a couple of weeks. Although he is not certain he still wants to sell. :icon_dead