• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Flasher Bracket Mystery Solved

P

PNewitt

While looking at the data sheets for the pre-production of the GT/CS (then called the "California Mustang"), there is a CS-only bracket number "CITF-13351-A". Another thread discussed this bracket, and I asked if anyone knew what it was.

This is a bracket originally engineered for Ford trucks and big cars. The clips have a slightly larger diameter "hole" to hold a heavy-duty flasher. This flasher is specified to handle the added resistance of the six rear taillight bulbs at the rear for the GT/CS. It is located right behind the ashtray, mounted on the rail on the bottom-backside of the dash.

The official Ford part number of this flasher is: C7AB-13350-A. (This flasher replaces the standard (non-GT/CS) '68 Mustang flasher, which is no. C5AB-13350-D).

IF someone knows how or where to find the exact generic equivalent (NAPA, Kragen, etc.) flasher, and/or if this is a Ford part still available, please post it here. I'd like to say that "any" heavy-duty flasher you can buy in an auto parts store should work, but the specific Ford no. flasher may provide more specific resistance to the flashing of the six 1157 bulbs.

As a side note, there are many, many CS-specific parts listed on this list, that will help in obtaining authenticity. For example, the front fenders have a specific part number.

Paul N.

Mustanger

While looking at the data sheets for the pre-production of the GT/CS (then called the "California Mustang"), there is a CS-only bracket number "CITF-13351-A". Another thread discussed this bracket, and I asked if anyone knew what it was.

This is a bracket originally engineered for Ford trucks and big cars. The clips have a slightly larger diameter "hole" to hold a heavy-duty flasher. This flasher is specified to handle the added resistance of the six rear taillight bulbs at the rear for the GT/CS. It is located right behind the ashtray, mounted on the rail on the bottom-backside of the dash.

The official Ford part number of this flasher is: C7AB-13350-A. (This flasher replaces the standard (non-GT/CS) '68 Mustang flasher, which is no. C5AB-13350-D).

IF someone knows how or where to find the exact generic equivalent (NAPA, Kragen, etc.) flasher, and/or if this is a Ford part still available, please post it here. I'd like to say that "any" heavy-duty flasher you can buy in an auto parts store should work, but the specific Ford no. flasher may provide more specific resistance to the flashing of the six 1157 bulbs.

As a side note, there are many, many CS-specific parts listed on this list, that will help in obtaining authenticity. For example, the front fenders have a specific part number.

Paul N.

Paul,

Did you or anyone else ever discover the exact generic equivalent (preferrably NAPA) flasher part no.?? I think I need to replace mine and I want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks ... BTW, it's not "502" is it?? ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

It's interesting that you bring that up.

I discovered while looking at the Ford master list for the GT/CS, that EVERY GT/CS (HCS) had a heavy-duty flasher. That is why there is a different flasher bracket mounted on the lower "rail" on the dash.

These are two more items that are unique only to the GT/CS.

Here is the factory flasher number, installed on the GT/CS in 1968: C7AB-13350-A

Perhaps there is a cross-reference number in some supplier's book (NAPA?) to this stock, OEM number? It looks like the flasher for a 1967 LTD or Ford "big car" something similar.

If you do find out, please let us know here.

Thanks--
Paul N.

J_Speegle

Might want to cross reference with a 67 T Bird considering the similarities and number of bulbs

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

This required pulling out all the stops (LOL), so I contacted my "super-secret" parts source guy, and he came up with these:

1956-70 Galaxie, signal flasher, Motorcraft replacement SF 224

1956-72 Galaxie, emergency flasher, Motorcraft SF 552

Or, you can get a look at them here:

http://www.gyrhead.com/Catalog/SearchResults.asp?SearchFlag=2&CategoryId=46&VendorID=51

Now, it will take one brave soul to actually buy a flasher, and tell us if it works as originally intended, with all the 1156 bulbs flashing at a "normal" rate... And!! If it fits in that original "CS-only" flasher bracket, next to the cig ashtray, (pull it out) on the dash.

Maybe this will help!

Paul N.

Mustanger

Mustanger

... Branda also offers a flasher for '68 Shelbys (SF6B, $12) which is a custom/modified flasher made by an older gentleman somewhere in Texas ...

Mustanger

... Then there's this guy who sells 323's:

http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/pdf/65-722006.pdf

But I noticed that the 323's Ford P/N doesn't match what Paul noted earlier ... the 323 generic p/n came from the CoralSnake.com guy ...

... also the 224 is being offered, which is a suggested p/n from Paul's "secret source" ... again, Ford P/N doesn't seem to match Paul's suggested p/n's ...

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

WOW, Mustanger, that's some amazing info! Thank you so much!

I think that perhaps we should have a comparison of the available "suggested" equivalent flashers, and test them on the same GT/CS (with, of course, excellent condition wiring, etc.).

Then see what the best flash rate is, and the on/off time for flashes. This would be a great help to a lot of folks, and good info for the book, too.

Thanks again! I appreciate it very much!

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

Paul N.

I was wondering what are the numbers to be CS specific fenders?