• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 winter drive

mbsf1970

as is my custom, I try to start Doug up once a month in the winter and drive him around when roads are dry and temps permit it....
Well, today was one of those days. It usually takes a good 1 minute of cranking to get Doug to catch but I tried something different this time. I pumped the pedal and good 6-7 times and (despite my wondering if battery was dead) he fired right up! I've been so careful not to flood him that I think I've been underfeeding him! I'll try and duplicate my results next month.

I only took him on a 10 minute drive as dusk was approaching. I sometimes have thoughts of selling him (due to shorter driving seasons) but then when I do drive him I remember the fun of it and all the "looks" he gets and the thought fades away--at least till the next repair!

Stephen

Midnight Special

as is my custom, I try to start Doug up once a month in the winter and drive him around when roads are dry and temps permit it....

Stephen

...Would love to have joined you, but here we woke up to a "white out" ;-)

Also, in winter when mine sit for a few weeks without running, I'll remove the air cleaner top, prime just a bit and they always fire right up (waking up the rest of the systems with no unreasonable wear & tear on the starter). It also forces me to check for leaks as the carb & fuel lines replenish...

Attachments

• _DSC0291.JPG
    _DSC0291.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 46

Maine gt/cs

I backed mine out of the garage last week. Temp was 56 degrees. What a difference from last year. Roads are loaded here with salt and sand, so no ride. An older gentleman went by tooting his horn and thumbs up out the window. That made me want to get out in the road and take that flat spot off the right rear tire. The old one tire fryer you know. I don't mind letting the engine whirl over a few times to get the oil pressure up.

Tim

robert campbell

If the car sits for awhile the gas in the carb will slowly evaporate. The reason for a lot of cranking is to get fuel up into the carb from the fuel pump. I agree with Tim and will prime a motor that has sat along time to save wear and tear on the started. Your thought on extra accelerator shots also draws gas into the acceleration pump area. A car that is started a ran more often should be able to pump the throttle one time and it should start. some engines seem to like two times.

Pour a small amount of gas into a small glass jar. Remove the air cleaner and pour about one tablespoon of gas in the carb down the air horn. If you decide to measure you will end up with your own table spoon. And the wife will not like you!

Rob

Midnight Special

If the car sits for awhile the gas in the carb will slowly evaporate....

Pour a small amount of gas into a small glass jar. Remove the air cleaner and pour about one tablespoon of gas in the carb down the air horn. If you decide to measure you will end up with your own table spoon. And the wife will not like you!

Rob

...What Rob says... and I use my monogrammed "Jose Cuervo" shot glass. :)

sam

These are great dialoges that I enjoy reading. I try to start mine every 2 weeks, and she takes a while to turn over. I appreciate the tip about a shot of gas down the carberator for faster results. Despite a mild winter in NH, the roads are sandy and salty..........so no road time.

I would agree, such a great feeling when you get the "thumbs up" or wave when driving your Mustang. And what about those fill ups at the gas station????......it's usually a 20 to 30 minute adventure because you always end up talking to someone.
It's the best !

Sam

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

so the gas prime acts as a one time shot in the carb and once car starts obviously the gas line will begin to fuel the carb.....
thanks,
things to remember...

stangfan

Mine sits up to over the winter for up to 3 weeks between drives. I've never had to prime the carb. It always starts right up. :grin:

Mosesatm

If the car sits for awhile the gas in the carb will slowly evaporate. The reason for a lot of cranking is to get fuel up into the carb from the fuel pump. I agree with Tim and will prime a motor that has sat along time to save wear and tear on the started. Your thought on extra accelerator shots also draws gas into the acceleration pump area. A car that is started a ran more often should be able to pump the throttle one time and it should start. some engines seem to like two times.

Rob

To look at it from another angle the long cranking time may be good for the engine because it lets the oil circulate a little before things start moving at full speed.

Maine gt/cs

I start mine once a month. I put Marine Stabil just for added insurance because of the ethanol factor. I will pull the coil wire and turn the engine over about 5 to10 times. That lets the oil move through the engine and also put more fuel into the carb. One pump of the go peddle and the car fires right up with plenty of oil pressure right off. I can almost smell that tire smoke.

Tim

68 special

Mine usually takes several pumps after sitting awhile.

I took mine out last weekend for a short spin. all was going well until I noticed smoke coming out the back end. I wasn't sure it was something dripping on the exhaust or coming out the exhaust. got her home, put her up on the ramps.

now, the funny part...... I found the missing plastic flashlight..... wedged in between the headers, whew, smoking problem solved..

Now waiting for another nice day. hope I have all my tools put away before then, LOL.

Bret

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Mine usually takes several pumps after sitting awhile.

I took mine out last weekend for a short spin. all was going well until I noticed smoke coming out the back end. I wasn't sure it was something dripping on the exhaust or coming out the exhaust. got her home, put her up on the ramps.

now, the funny part...... I found the missing plastic flashlight..... wedged in between the headers, whew, smoking problem solved..

Now waiting for another nice day. hope I have all my tools put away before then, LOL.

Bret

That's funny. You now need to treat your car like a surgeon does a patient and keep inventory of all tools used during any operations!! Anything used must be accounted for at the end of the operation! :wink:
Stephen

robert campbell

When I work on a customer car that is a large project that will take more than a couple days, I bag and tag every fastener. Especially, engine fasteners and washers. Each component has a baggie with a note in the baggie. Describing any pieces that were lost prior to my touching it. Washers and such. Number of shims on each side for upper A-arm alignment of pre-67 cars. Location on car and blah blah blah. Really helps with old minds such as mine!!

I worked at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and we had a huge Foreign Material Exclusion (FME) program. All components ready for installation on the ship or submarines were thoroughly inspected during the refurbish process and all openings were blanked off to prevent any incursion of dirt or large debris or deliberate tampering. In fact my shop made all diameters of metal blank off plates. Even a straight piece of pipe was blanked off at both ends.

Anal huh???

Rob