• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Vacuum Issues & Diagram Needed

68Fan

I have a 289 v2 w/ AC and I’m having trouble with the vacuum lines both at the front of the motor (distributor & thermostat housing/vacuum tree) & at the rear of the motor (vacuum reservoir & intake manifold). Currently there are 3 lines “capped” and my distributor is a single vacuum distrib. So you can see I'm in quite a bind.

Questions:

- How should my distributor & vacuum tree hosing be properly installed? (Example: hose from dist should go to the top “nipple” of the vacuum tree, etc.) And is it worth going back to a 2 vacuum distributor?

-Where should my vacuum tree hoses lead? Carb and Air Cleaner?

-Being my distributor is missing a vacuum nipple (single vacuum) should I not worry about the missing vacuum line running to the back of the intake manifold vacuum valve?

-Where should my vacuum reservoir lead? One line runs to the heater control valve the other line was missing.

-Description of the intake manifold vacuum lines.

Detailed diagrams and/or pictures would be appreciated. The “why” would be great to chew on too. I just got my transmission in and now I’m working on the engine and want to ensure things are done right. . I’ve looked through numerous restoration guides, shop manuals, websites, etc….now I’m turning to the experts. Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

rvrtrash

I'll give you the verbal version also. For the dist. and the "tee" on the thermostat housing, the hose from the dist. goes to the middle port, and a single advance dist. is correct. The top port of the "tee" goes to the base of the carb and the bottom port goes to the intake manifold. The "tee" is actually a temperature sensitive switch-set at 210 deg. if I remember correctly- that advances the distributor when the engine gets hot so it will speed up slightly and draw more air through the radiator at idle. For the vacumn canister, the small hose goes through the firewall and the large port/hose goes to the intake manifold. The vacumn canister is so your air diverters/doors don't move while you are accelerating,decelerating, etc. It keeps a steady vacumn in the system. Take a vacumn reading before you hook it up and then again after hooking it up. It may have been disconnected because of a leak in the system. The heater control valve hose should also go through the firewall. The intake manifold will also have vac. lines going to the brake booster and auto transmission, if applicable. I think that's about it. Hope this helps.
Steve