• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. The rest of the story for Capt Dave

robert campbell

Captain Dave,

This is like Paul Harvey and the rest of the story....

Thanks for the updates on Paul's book! There are many people on this site that have preordered this book and have anxiously awaited its release for 4 years or more. Just for the record, I am one of the people targeted by Paul as the reason he left the site and I have not preordered a book. And again for the record, I visit the SAAC site to see what Paul says. And trust me, Paul is a “guest” on our site as well. Frequently. None of the below is directed at you, but you seem to be an interface for Paul from his new home. You should have the whole story.

This site has provided Paul with so much of the information for his book. This site has many many active members that have provide financial support via preorders and others have written direct checks of substantial amounts to Paul to help with little expectation of ever seeing the money in return. Original owners of GT/CS's! There are a few members on this site with abundant resources (read dollars) that have volunteered to fund his book project in whole. He turned them all down. I can retrieve the actual posts if you like. For some reason Paul feels the need to own it all himself. And then to act as a martyr once again. His latest post on selling his car on the SAAC site is a repeat of many similar cries for money and sympathy on our site.

The sad part is he thinks he “owns” the history of the GT/CS. I have seen numerous references on his new SAAC site to this as “copyrighted” information and check with me (Paul) before using or printing. Much of this information came from our site. Alot from the internet. And then he has the gall to post on the SAAC forum that the information on the GT/CS site is HIS and "on loan" to GT/CS.com?? Please! It is sad that he does not realize the following he would have if he finished his book and could just enjoy the car, its owners, and the profits. His efforts on compiling the information for these cars is huge. That in itself should be enough. The satisfaction of assisting in a huge part to sustain the legacy of these cars. And make a profit. But somehow that is not enough.

The beauty of the SAAC forum is in its disclaimer. “Recognized since 1975 as the undisputed authority on the history and legacy of all Shelby automobiles”. THE COLLECTIVE SITE. Not one individual. Not one individual bent on profit. Not one individual bent on control of all the Shelby Mustang is. SAAC has stood the challenge from Carroll Shelby himself to remain what it is. How? Because it is THE true collection of owners and enthusiasts that have preserved the legacy of these cars long before they were ultra-valuable. The “owners” own the history!! The owners own it all!! People can write all the books they want, but SAAC will be the ultimate authority on what is right or wrong. By its collective knowledge! No one person can claim that the Shelby would be gone except by his or her efforts. Paul has stated the GT/CS legacy and new CS are a result of his efforts in many posts and private post. Want copies? The true legacy belongs to Jon Hanna and his foresight in the creation of this site! The collection of the cars owners. WE will judge what is true or not.

Paul seeks to be the owner and end all authority on these cars. Sorry, but this site is. Just for the record, after I challenged Paul, (for the very first time in a private post) about his disagreement on my ability to help out a fellow member with sincere free help. Which, by the way, has been done! With more to do, but with other members stepping up. He chose to send a short, terse, mean spirited reply in private about my cars authenticity. Three years of harassment? It was ONE private post that even supported HIS knowledge of the cars. The site knows that my car is not a “Marti identified” GT/CS. You can find my post in the Marti section. I have never hid its history. But it has a “possible” interesting history that Paul alludes to in his first book. Time will tell and I do not care whether it becomes true or not. I have met so many great people on this site. New and true friends. If you would like to see Paul’s pm to me, you would see another side of this man. One that substantiates his feeling that he is the end all of these cars. MANY other members have similar pm’s where they have been manipulated, dressed down, or threatened by removal of their car from the registry or a feature in his new book. Trust me, my car is long gone from his book and registry!! Yet I will still buy his book someday as a reference, but not as the authority. All of his research is suspect when he treats the owners of the cars in this fashion. Can you imagine someone dictating to the SAAC site what is true or not true about their cars. Severing members from their registry based on anger. This person would last 10 seconds.

In his post he alluded to a“coffee table Mustang book”. Proof that he frequents our site. That was a direct diss on a sincere effort of one GT/CS member of our site to publish a book of any owner who wanted to provide some pictures and a story of the GT/CS. A book with a brief story of their car and their “GT/CS life”. A book of the GT/CS family. Does that tell you anything about this man? To diss this effort! And at no cost to the owner unless they chose to purchase a book! This GT/CS member is a SAINT for doing this AND wanting NOTHING in return for his effort. His name will be nowhere other than in his section. SAAC should be so lucky to have someone do this for them and their cars. We are so fortunate!! This is a true example of sustaining the legacy of a car for nothing more than personal satifaction! Please have your friend in Maine contact us and submit information for our book. He is most welcome on our site and his car in our book! No cost to him, no profit to our site, or the member doing all the work. You friend can buy a book with a diverse cross section of GT/CS and HCS cars in pristine, to stripped for restoration, condition.

Paul is welcomed back anytime he wishes. All can be forgotten if he is an equal member on our site. To be just one voice on our site. To speak from the best of his knowledge and what he has read. An equal voice no better than the rest of us. He left us because some did not want to be "dictated" to and manipulated. We did not drive him away. That is a picture in his mind alone.

I challenge you to post this on the SAAC GT/CS site. To ensure that all people have full knowledge of what happened on our site instead of one side of the story. I already feel I know the answer to this challange. Paul will read this post before you do. Trust me. He already has….

Rob and Val Campbell
Owners of a 1968 Anniversary Gold Nugget Special with original GT/CS appointments in every way.

CaptDave

CaptDave & GT/CS Forum

Rob

As you may know the GT/CS is my favorite 1960's Mustang (but the 69-70 Boss Mustang are not bad either). But I always worshiped the products from "Shelby American".

I'm now heavily involved with SAAC and the SAAC-Forum. I only joined SAAC again after 25 years last January.

I'm judging everyone from what they are doing in the present. So far Paul is doing a wonderful job at SAAC. I have read everything you said with great interest. Thanks for taking the time.

I think most of our SAAC-GT/CS members are also members of your California Special forum. I think they have both sides of the story better than me.

Lets take some time to see how Paul is doing. He is new at SAAC, so I say lets give him a chance.

As for me, I just recently received a Sony A350 DSLR camera (early birthday gift). I live 2 miles from NJMP (New Jersey Motorsports Park). I'm posting loads of pictures from the track to see how I'm doing. I now have Media Privileges there, so I'm on top the Tower and down in the Pits (it's great). This is a learning experience. Everyone is giving me the chance to develop my skills. The Pro-Photographers are not complaining on what I'm doing wrong (thank God). I also just wrote my first article for the Shelby American magazine (coming out in a couple weeks). I'm all new to this. I never posted anything before SAAC January 2008. And I never wrote an article for anyone before this one coming out soon. I never had a real camera before this Sony A350 DSLR (only point and shoot).

The thing I love about SAAC is that they give everyone a chance. You just have to show a little enthusiasm for what your doing.

I think since Paul is new to SAAC everyone is going to give him some break-in time there. I think it's only fair. But I have read everything you have said with great interest also. Lets see how everything plays out in the next few months.

Sorry to cut this short today but I have to head out to NJMP for the PDA/NASA event Fri-Sun at NJMP (a whole 5 minute drive). You can check out my NJ SAAC Forum posts. Take care.

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=4865.0

CaptDave

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Capt Dave,
Please have your friend in Maine bridge the gap to our site. Please have him or her submit their car for OUR book and join Jon's site. They, and you, will find a family of GT/CS&HCS enthusiasts every bit as friendly as any forum on SAAC. People every bit as committed to the legacy of the GT/CS and the HCS as SAAC to the Shelby. You have asked our members to join the SAAC site and they have! We are every bit the family as SAAC is. We have cars from pristine to restoration in our new “family” book. Condition is not a problem. Enthusiasm and a love for the GT/CS and HCS are the only prerequisite. He or she will find a great family and friends. Helpful to the bone!

Rob

CaptDave

CaptDave's friend "John from Maine".

Capt Dave,
Please have your friend in Maine bridge the gap to our site. Please have him or her submit their car for OUR book and join Jon's site. They, and you, will find a family of GT/CS&HCS enthusiasts every bit as friendly as any forum on SAAC. People every bit as committed to the legacy of the GT/CS and the HCS as SAAC to the Shelby. You have asked our members to join the SAAC site and they have! We are every bit the family as SAAC is. We have cars from pristine to restoration in our new “family” book. Condition is not a problem. Enthusiasm and a love for the GT/CS and HCS are the only prerequisite. He or she will find a great family and friends. Helpful to the bone!

Rob

Rob

Too late...already did that a month ago. I'll bet he is watching from the sidelines. He's new to this forum stuff.

CaptDave

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Rob

Too late...already did that a month ago. I'll bet he is watching from the sidelines. He's new to this forum stuff.

CaptDave

Capt Dave,
Not sure what any of what you said meant? Did you ask him to join our site? Did you ask him to submit to our book? Submiting to the book has no strings. A chance to write his own story on his car and his love of a GT/CS. No money no obligations. Any condition is cool! Joining the site is a chance to join our family. Again no money. A chance to join a group of people that are helpful beyond belief. What is there to lose? I am confused!

Rob