• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Should I buy? Help request

Hello,
I have a chance to buy a true one owner California special in Southern California, and need some help. I first saw this car in 1990, and have stayed in contact with him over the years. He bought the car new at Canoga Park Ford, CA. Now in his 90's, he can no longer drive.
The good: original sea foam green paint, all GT/CS parts are original to the car.
Original Lucas lights, original black stripes and decals.
Original 289-2v with factory A/C. Black interior all original and in very good condition. Dash was always covered, no cracks in dash.
Has original California Black Plates and original pink title.
Original spare tire, owners warranty card and owners manual.
Stock hubcaps nothing fancy nothing missing.
The bad: owner backed into something so the fiberglass tail light panel is cracked. Also dent in lower rear valance panel. There is pitting on Lucas lights and chrome, car has always been under a carport so being near ocean may be a factor. Car is automatic, all lights operational. Original Delco AM radio still works.
Original paint has some blemishes but is straight. I have always wanted this car, and finally have chance, but want to be fair. They said their neighbor has offered 12k, I thought 10 was fair, until I saw the cracked fiberglass panel, so thought 7500 to 8000 was right. What would be a fair and reasonable amount for this car?

dalorzo_f

A $2000-2500 hit for a cracked tail panel? I had a damaged original reglassed by a guy here for $100, looks as good as new. You can buy a OEM for less than half that (I paid $500 for the cracked one, with the buckets, lens, and trims in good shape).

The rear valance dent is very minor, unless a heavy crease may even be able to get it close with one of the paint-less dent removal companies.

An unmolested original is hard to find, the docs and original owner info has a bit of nostalgia and value. And no rust other then chrome blemishes is a big plus.

You have always wanted the car, an are offering 2/3 of the other offer? Doesn't sound like you want if very much... I'd believe someone would offer 12k, and would say anything less than 10K is taking advantage of the guy, but hard to say without pics.

OP
OP
H
Thank you for your opinion. It was offered to me at 10, but I did not know about the damage. I had last seen the car prior about 7 or 8 years ago.
You are correct about replacing the panel, but you still have to paint and replace the lens.
I do want to be fair. I appreciate your feedback, sincerely.
No, I am not one of those guys trying to fleece the owner, to brag about it here.
These people are dear to me and are my friends.
Thanks again.

stangfan

The car sounds to me to be worth the $10,000 they offered it to you for. Minor damage fairly easily fixed is not a big deal. An all original intact GT/CS is a rare thing these days. Go for it. :grin:

Northern Pony

hangten;
You have followed this car for 23 years, you know the seller personally, and you think you are being fleeced????????????? If you have always wanted this car by all means go and get it, 10k is not too much for an original, rust free car (with good interior).
Good luck and let us know when it's in your drive way.
BoB

candycal

No, I am not one of those guys trying to fleece the owner, to brag about it here.
These people are dear to me and are my friends.
Thanks again.

I would pay the man $12k and there would two more happy people in the world. How often do you get a chance at something like this? In the scheme of things and over a period of time $2,000 is not significant. Surely there is a premium for a one owner GT/CS? You'll be kicking yorself if someone else buys it IMHO.

somethingspecial

Please send me the full VIN and door data plate info when you can so we can document it as a GT/CS. If you buy the car, I suggest getting a Marti Report for the car. Your friendly neighborhood Registrar. Good luck on the purchase.

sam

Well worth the $$......especially if you know the owner & car history.

BigJim

If you want the car pay the man what he's asking, it's a fair price. Otherwise stop wasting both your time and walk away so he can find someone who really wants it and will buy it.

68 special

Dang, someone comes on our site to ask for assistance and WOW. If I came on here to ask a simple question and saw the responses, I'd be hard pressed to come back.

He wanted to know if the value was there for the car, NOT if he really wanted it or if he was fleecing his friend or wasting the guys time.

There is a hell of a lot of knowledge on this site, but what good is it if you get the 3rd degree about whether or not to purchase a car.

I've asked a lot of questions here and not all were smart, some were actually pretty dumb, but never did I get a response like these.

OK, as far as to buy or not, buy it before someone else gets it.

Bret

dalorzo_f

?

The points on the value almost all say take it at 10-12k.

IMO the comments are fair based on the info provided, and not personal, but I guess it depend on how you read it. The other offers noted are relevant, as its sets a known benchmark they have in-hand.

If I had a "friend" who offered me a car I "wanted" and I knew they were offered 12k I think I'd do right by them and not offer 8k... but that's just me.

If someone is willing to pay 12k, its worth 12k... its not like it a Scott Drake part you can comparison shop, the idea there is some fixed and "correct" value is false. Every car is unique and must be valued on its condition, and by how much the buyer wants it.

If you can get it for less, a personal choice.

As noted, without pictures it is hard to tell but I'd agree with the comment "I would pay the man $12k and there would two more happy people in the world. How often do you get a chance at something like this?"

sam

Well said by everyone...........heck maybe I'll buy knowing the background.....!

gazrox

Buy the car otherwise in 6 months time when you see it driving down the road with someone else behind the wheel you'll be kicking yourself for not jumping on it.

Personally, I think if he has an offer on it, you have to at least match it - its the right thing to do if you want the car, and regardless, you are getting the car you have been waiting a long time to own.

teamlo

Years ago, I purchased an original copy of Paul Newitt's GT/CS Guide from an elderly gentleman that fits your description. He also included a photo of his car, which I am almost certain was Seafoam Green. I don't recall his name, but I wonder if it's the same person. I sold the book when Paul's new book was released (now wishing I'd held on to it).

I'd say Buy The Car!!!

Terry

franklinair

Buy it. Enjoy it. A nicely optioned car. $10K would be a steal. $12k is more than fair. The glitches you mentioned are minor. Lots of help/info here.

Neil

OP
OP
H
Hi Terry, I would guess that he did sell the book to you, as he told me he had. I don't think he ever registered the car, to my knowledge. I have a couple of the old Books still.
I used to have another GT/CS, but it must have had the front damaged, as it no longer had the Fog lights, and the grill had been replaced with the regular 68 grille with horse.
The numbers on that car seemed to correspond, and I think I had registered that one with Paul Newitt. I have not seen the newer books, so not sure on that. BTW, I am picking up the car this week. Thanks, and best wishes. Jeff

teamlo

Hi Terry, I would guess that he did sell the book to you, as he told me he had. I don't think he ever registered the car, to my knowledge. I have a couple of the old Books still.
I used to have another GT/CS, but it must have had the front damaged, as it no longer had the Fog lights, and the grill had been replaced with the regular 68 grille with horse.
The numbers on that car seemed to correspond, and I think I had registered that one with Paul Newitt. I have not seen the newer books, so not sure on that. BTW, I am picking up the car this week. Thanks, and best wishes. Jeff

That's a neat story. Now I wish I still had that book so that it could have been passed on to you with the car. Best of luck with the car, not every day you come across a one owner vehicle like that!

Terry

stangfan

Glad you are buying the car Jeff. Don't be a stranger. This place is a great resource for a GT/CS owner. The people here are great too! :grin:

OP
OP
H
Thank you, much appreciated.
I have some pictures I will post in my garage as soon as I get a chance.
I had not seen the car for over 7 years, so when I saw the damage at rear
I was at first dismayed. But after considering all the pluses, and having the original owner call me asking if I still wanted it, what else could I say but yes.
I was not trying to bamboozle anyone, just wanted some objective opinions, as I just wasn't sure on a fair price. Last year his wife called me to tell me they were going to sell it.
Imagine my excitement after 23 years of pestering him!
I asked her what she wanted for it, and she told me a 'friend' had told her it was worth 100k! Yes, 100,000! I did not want to offend, so I withdrew and my bubble had been popped. I was so disappointed, and kind if gave up hope.
But apparently they looked into it, and came up with a much more realistic value.
Thanks again for the reassurance