• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

***GT/CS Found in the Junk Yard? Where's the VIN?***

mikstang

I currently own a standard '67 coupe, and was looking through a junk yard when I saw what appears to be a GT/CS. There is no engine, drive train, interior (except the glove compartment door and the back upper seat.), etc.

However, inside the car was to side scoops with no markings but I have been following Mustangs for about 20 years now (own mine for over 10) and this got me to thinking. I wonder if it's a GT/CS!? Well of course I looked for the VIN in the hood area but my '67 is on the drivers side shock tower. I think I recall that in '68 they moved the stamp elsewhere. I have no way of knowing this though. So next thought was to check on the door for the stamp, but of course that is missing (stamp, not door.) There are many hints of this being a great find (in this day and age especially). I also noticed that the inside of the door had a stripe, by where the outline of the data plate used to be, which resembles the paint markings of a GT/CS. No tail lights or distinct Mustang markings any where to be found. HELP!?

Of course it needs lots of work (like everything), but I first need to determine if the car is anything "special" or not, and then make that call from there.

So, I have a bunch of questions for anyone that can help. You know the dream of finding that gem! Anyone that owns a rare great car yourself., can you tell me:
- How do I find the VIN on the GT/CS?
- Is there more that one location in case it isn't there?
- Where can I look up the VIN decipher if it is indeed a GT/CS?
- Do they all have hood pins?
- What are the unique parts to this car that differentiates if from a standard 'Stang? (side scoops, exterior badges, and what else?) This may also help to determine even though almost everything is gone on the car.

THANKS for ANY help that everyone replies!
Mike.

OP
OP
M

mikstang

Why would you say that!? Arizona is a desert like place...well these days it's all built up I guess. lol

Any advise on finding that VIN?

Mosesatm

On the dash pad on the passenger side.
Under one or both front fenders
On the engine block - sometimes
On the driver's door

Some things to look for are:
the tail light panel - 4 additional round holes with covers.
the hood pin supports on the radiator support with the hood bumper moved to the fender.
a single large hole for the scoop anchor, and 2 smaller holes for the front screws.
holes for the California Special script.
No holes for the running horse emblems on the front fenders.
Fog light switch

68sunlitgold

Mike,
As has been discussed there are several places for the VIN, I would first look at the passenger side dash right next to the window (stand by the antenna and look into the area where the window meets the dash there should be a metal plate). The '68 mustang also has the VIN in the cut-out area on the drivers fender, its is just hidden by the fender (I guess the stamping machine was not lined up very well). Without the door or engine these are the other two places to look.

As for other things to look for, does the rear light panel have cut outs for the '65 T-bird lights, are there holes just behind the doors, two close to the door opening and then one larger hole about half way between the door and the scoop indent. Does the radiator support have the hood pin hold downs? Are there holes in the grille surround where the Lucus light where secured? Does it have brackets in the grille for mounting the Marchal lights? Is any of the wiring in the car, if so look for the "special" tail light harness for the T-bird lights. What does the 2 side scoops look like on back side, the fiberglass needs to be smooth, it should not look like hand-laid fiberglass. These are just a few things to look for.

If you do get the VIN number I would give Kevin Marti a call to verify the car with a Marti Report. If the VIN starts with 8R01 then it is a "potential" GT/CS because all CS's start with 8R01 but only the Marti report will verify.

Most of the parts are available to restore the car, however some pieces of fiberglass are hard to fit. There are some parts like the rear light harness that are not available, however I am sure a 67/68 cougar harness could be used.

As for the unique parts, look under the identification link (top left) and go through it for the parts and what they look like, also look through the gallery and look under Misc GT/CS and HCS items for further pictures.

Good Luck!

Doug

Mosesatm

....also, if you post some pictures on this site I'm sure we'll all be happy to give you our opinions on whether or not the car is a real GT/CS.

GTCSMustang

The reason I asked if it was in Nevada is because I was told of one in Nevada by a person I talked to on the phone about 1 1/2 years ago. He wouldn't give me the location of the car unless I paid him and he said he took the VIN tag off the door while he was at the junkyard. If the car you are looking at was that car I was going to try to get the door tag for you.

OP
OP
M

mikstang

You guys are all VERY helpful, thank you everyone!!!

I noticed many of these things because I have a '67 coupe so many thing sttod out easily. My first reaction was disbelief because why would you find such a rarity these days. However, and much thinking, I realized that this car is bare minimum. The only thing intact fromwhat I recall was the following (if anyone cares):
- Hood with holes for some kind of locks or pins
- Fenders (needing some work on drivers side)
- Quarters
- Doors (surprisingly!...and they look original with panels)
- Glove Compartment door and box
- Rear seat back (not bottom)
- side scoops inside the car (one with completely broken pins and other almost as bad) Rivets sickout out of quarter panels

Other than that, everything else is gone except for misc. parts in the trunk and laid our on the inside.

From my excited moment of joy of my find, here's what I saw missing:
- drive train including steering (possibly the rear was there)
- holes in the trunk panel for the T-bird lights (this was what caught my eye in the first place and though maybe someone wanted a look-a-like)
- holes for speakers in the back deck
- all interior (except above mentioned)
- any exterior tags/medalions/etc

I feel confiident after reading the information on this site AND everyone's kind help, that this truly is a real one.

This is exciting but probably a HUGE project that I don't know if will be worth it without another car for parts.

Any suggestions on where to find a parts car? If I restore it, how much should I be sinking into to it. After some light research, it appears that $15k is about the value.

Knowing that I will not easily get some parts (locking/turning hood pins, misc etc's.) what is a realistic value of this completed car? What cars could be parts cars?

I saw that some of them have 390's. How many of the 4118 cars had 390's in them? Did they have 427's? I'll find out about that VIN hopefully coming soon.

Thanks for your help once again everyone and any new replies!!!

rvrtrash

There shouldn't be any rivets in the quarter panel for anything and the original side scoops have 1 bolt in the center and 2 small screw holes at the front edge for mounting. Your description sounds like the side scoops may be aftermarket. If I was to guess, I would say you'll end up paying at least $25K to put this car back together and looking nice, if you do much of the work yourself, because so much of it is missing. That's not to talk you out of it, just warn you what you're getting into.
Steve

Mosesatm

If you just want a cool looking car you can add the GT/CS parts, or '67 Shelby parts (Little Red), or '68 Shelby parts (Green Hornet) to our '67 coupe for a whole lot less than rebuilding the shell from the wrecking yard.

OP
OP
M

mikstang

That is a nice offer. Now why would he take the tag off if he isn't going to purchase the car! What a shame someone would do that and screw over the next guy.

Everyone knows that the VIN on the door is the key to the whole car! Geez!

Well, that is a great offer. It sounds like if I could get the tag, it would help to make an easier decision on if this huge project is worth the undertaking. I'm still undecided up on this because so much needs to be done.

If you can find out about the door tag, I would appreciate it as it sounds like it may be the same car. Did he say it was a CS? Will he provide you with the VIN?

THANKS for your help and offer to contact him!!!

OP
OP
M

mikstang

I agree, and think that is a very good idea for consideration. I am the second owner and the car is in very good shape for a daily driver, so it's hard to make the decision to change and all original car. Thanks for the feedback!

GTCSMustang

I called the guy with the tag last night and left a message and e-mailed him today. I'm sure he will give me the tag. He seems to be a really nice guy, but I don't know why he took the tag. I do remember it was a "C" code (289-2bbl) car though.

OP
OP
M

mikstang

Great, thank you for the help! Now what is it going to cost me to get that tag?

Maybe I should go back to the junk yard and put it back on! lol

This would be greatly helpful in making a decision for me. I appreciate your help!

Thanks!

GTCSMustang

I guess we should make sure we're talking about the same car first. Give me a call (760) 371-4466.

Scott

jk89cat

thats why my 67 coupe is gonna be a cs clone, its missing too much and its pretty gutted, but its a got a drivetrain. anyoen wanna buy a non running 289 and c4?

dbeal

First of all you need to know what you are getting into. I bought my GT/CS for a very low price, but there was a reason for it. It was just a shell with no engine, or transmission. You can see pics of it when I first got it in the gallery.

Since I originally purchased the car, I have bought new front fenders, had the front sheetmetal of the car rebuilt, had rear quarters & taillight panel put on ( duplicating the original cutouts), new floorboards installed. Rebuilt the rear end and replaced all the brake lines, rebuilt a year correct 68 302, and the front suspension. I am about 1/3 of the way through.

So far I have spent 2 years on it as time and budget has allowed.

over the next couple of months, I will be installing the wiring, pedal assembly, brake booster etc, and other items before I send it back to the body shop for panel alignment.

This car is being done on a budget and hopefully I will be under 12K when all is said and done. It can be done if you do A LOT of the work yourself, and really look hard for bargains on parts you need. (which in my case is just about everything)

If you farm out a lot of the work you will be spending up to 24k or more..

If you end up getting the car enjoy working on it and when it gets frustrating walk away for a while..

Good Luck!! :) :)