• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

3-point seatbelt installation

our special

I am in the process of installing 3-point seat belts from "Retro Belt USA". I know that some of you have already installed 3-point belts in your CS's and I have a question re the anchor point for the retractor and belt end.

I can use the roof anchor point for the shoulder belt, no problem, and I can use the floor anchor point for the retractor end, but I have to anchor the belt end of the retractor aswell. (I know, clear as mud.) Retro Belt supplies a bracket with the kit for this application, but because of the angle of the bracket it involves drilling a hole in the floor.

Before I drill any holes in a perfectly good floor, I'm wondering what others have done.

Regards, Dave

rvrtrash

I'm sure it's more expensive, but if I was going to go that route, I'd look at buying a reproduction '68 Shelby roll bar and putting that in and go 4 point. Just something else to think about.

Steve

OP
OP
O

our special

I'm sure it's more expensive, but if I was going to go that route, I'd look at buying a reproduction '68 Shelby roll bar and putting that in and go 4 point. Just something else to think about.

Steve

Thank's Steve, just what I need, something else to think about. lol

BTW- I did think about it and it's still floating around in the "think about it" memorary files.

Dave

Mosesatm

Instead of drilling into the floor would it be possible to fabricate brackets that bolt into the original holes, then bolt into the brackets? They'd be hidden under the carpet.

OP
OP
O

our special

Actually Arlie, I'm thinking of doing something like that, but I was hopeing that someone might have already completed this install so that I could do a little bit of brain picking.

Dave

rvrtrash

I'm not sure how a bracket would work. There is only one "original" mounting hole and if the bracket bolted there (at the rear edge of the seat) and extended back to the front of the back seat, it would tend to pivot if enough force was applied. You'd have to drill an extra hole anyway, for support. Here's a weird, unorthodox idea. Get 2 sets of retractable lap belts and a set of shoulder belts out of an early 70's Ford. The early 70's lap belts had a slot that the shoulder belt would slip into so you only used one buckle. Install the shoulder belt in one of the retractible mechanisms and mount it to the roof mounting location. Leave it attached to the retractible lap belt and you have a homemade retractible 3 point. Hope this all makes sense. I can see it perfectly in my mind and the voices in my head say it should work. :wink:

Steve

GTCS95616

I had a 1968 Mustang and it had both a lap belt and a shoulder belt. As I recall, both the lap belt and the shoulder belt anchored from the same location on the center hump in the center of the car(there were two belts with latch assemblies for each front seat-one lap and one shoulder).

OP
OP
O

our special

Steve, yes, I can see what you're saying!!

I'm not sure how a bracket would work. There is only one "original" mounting hole and if the bracket bolted there (at the rear edge of the seat) and extended back to the front of the back seat, it would tend to pivot if enough force was applied. You'd have to drill an extra hole anyway, for support.

Steve I think the bracket is designed to pivot, because it will be attached with the original "shoulder" bolt as the original retractor is now. The retractor in our cars now, for the lap belts pivot, as does the shoulder mount..........

Here's a weird, unorthodox idea. Get 2 sets of retractable lap belts and a set of shoulder belts out of an early 70's Ford. The early 70's lap belts had a slot that the shoulder belt would slip into so you only used one buckle. Install the shoulder belt in one of the retractible mechanisms and mount it to the roof mounting location. Leave it attached to the retractible lap belt and you have a homemade retractible 3 point. Hope this all makes sense. I can see it perfectly in my mind and the voices in my head say it should work. :wink:

Sreve, I'm not sure about the early ford belt systems and in our rust climate I don't have the privilege to look at any scrapped '70's, but the 1969 & '70 mustangs used a keyhole slot that the shoulder belt would slip into but was the same as our '68's with regard to restricting movement. I find that with the seat all the way back and the lap & shoulder belt on I can't reach the park/emergency brake, radio controls, etc. I will have a look at your idea, unorthodox or not........
Dave

Steve

OP
OP
O

our special

I had a 1968 Mustang and it had both a lap belt and a shoulder belt. As I recall, both the lap belt and the shoulder belt anchored from the same location on the center hump in the center of the car(there were two belts with latch assemblies for each front seat-one lap and one shoulder).

That's correct, there are two belts mounted on the transmission hump when the car is equipped with factory shoulder belts. When you install the 3-point system, you remove these two belts and replace them with one from the 3-point system.

My problem, is on the outboard side where the 3-point retractor & belt end mount, and there is only one factory mounting location available.

I'm sure this is a lot eaiser to solve then it appears.

Thank you
Dave