• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

More pictures from Grass Valley...

Midnight Special

...where we rousted early on Saturday for a trip to the Nevada County Airport and the EAA sponsored Fly-in. Homebuilt, experimental and a few local warbird a/c augmented (flying club member) car displays for the event. A pancake breakfast was followed by formation fly-bys and fellowship until the afternoon heat set in and the attendance dispersed.

Site members "Still looking for one" Jim and "Something Special" Mike were on hand with Mike, wife Robinette, "Horsepal" Sharon, Tom Lykins, Scott Foote, Brian O'Brien and my wife Frances all helping to get the cars to the airport.

Attachments

• eaafl-e.jpg
    eaafl-e.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 30
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 31
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

After the fly-in, we took a road trip along scenic highway 174 to Colfax, then HWY 80 to Auburn for some freeway photos and lunch...

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

All in all; a wonderful trip! However Mike called in a "mayday" on the way home (all cars equipped w/ radios) with rising temperatures on his 390 CS and steam shooting from the hood vents that began fouling his windshield!

An emergency landing at Colfax revealed a stuck thermostat and bad radiator cap which were bandaged. Fortunately - Mike's house was only a few miles up the road where we pulled in w/ Mike making permanent repairs from his own personal stock :) We also got to see the incredible progress he was making on his own 390 4-speed GT/CS that promises to be a 1st class award winner when completed! Awsome!!

Robinette also drove "lead" in the Cobra-Jet ('lucky I got it back;-) before heading home & putting 'em all to bed...

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 25
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

A few of the other cars in attendance including an ultra-rare Pierce Arrow!

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IM003275.JPG
    IM003275.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IM003276.JPG
    IM003276.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IM003281.JPG
    IM003281.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

still looking for one

This was INDEED an awesome show, the flybys of the planes were awesome!
Three experimental planes flew by in formation, what a sight! The yellow trainer was REALLY loud, and kind of gave you an idea what it must have been like in World War II. There was even a Stearman Pitts biplane there, it was really cool, especially the lever for "smoke" on the instrument panel.

This is the kind of thing thaqt makes you PROUD to be an American!!

The entire contingent of Tim's collection really anchored the car show, (they looked super together, as usual!) and drew plenty of onlookers! And of course, the "Special" parade of Mustangs in and out of the airport.

One early visitor to the show had an original '68 Lime Gold coupe there- original except for a repaint, and it looked good too. It was a REAL survivor, had not only the original California black plate WDAxxx but also the original 1968 License plate frame from Grass Valley - the dealer was Farber Ford at that time, something I did not know

Thanks for the story and pictures Tim. It was a great day!

Jim

marie68csmustangs

Yeah, I wish that I was there - But, my job kept me from it.. I just hope that next year I can go... Hope that I can make it to Auburn.. :)) I just hope that I can drive one of your cars someday Tim..

Marie