• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Trans differences

68 special

I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for in any other posts, so here's the questions.

How do you tell the difference between a c4 and an fmx trans? The drive train in my car was swapped out years ago due to it originally having a 6 cyl. and changed over to a v8. With alot of searching I found out the rearend is a '67 with 3.00 gears and I thought the trans was a c4, but it has a 15 bolt pan. According to what I've found so far, the c4 has an 11 bolt pan and the the fmx has a 15 bolt pan. Are there other ways to tell the difference just by looking at it in the car? Could this also be the problem with my speedo not reading correctly? Wrong speedo gear? Is an fmx reliable or should I consider a c4?
I know this is alot of questions, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Bret

nfrntau

If your car is running I would suggest swinging by a trans shop and ask them. They look at them all the time and should be able to tell you with a quick look just what you have.

OP
OP
68 special

68 special

Thats a good idea, depending on the weather. It's supposed to to snow tonight and the next couple of days. If I can't drive it, I'll give them a call.
Thanks for input. Bret

Mosesatm

From the 2nd link it looks like C4 and C6 have aluminum cases and the FMX has a cast iron case.

PB GT/CS

My understanding is the easiest way to tell the difference is the Bolt on Bell housing. If the bell housing can come off, it is a C4.

Brian