• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fog Light Experts help needed

gijosegtcs

Hello,

I am new to the site and am blown away by the level of information that I can find here. It is hard to believe that I have been depending on google to this point. I have read lots of info on both the Marchal and Lucas Fog lights but am still a little confused in some areas. For example...Why does it seem like one of the Stems/Attaching bolts always looks longer than the other in a pair. Is it me, the picture or is it supposed to be that way. Here is an example of what I am talking about on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Luca...ryZ34207QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also... are the Fog Lights attached to the bottom moulding or to the brackets. Looks like I have seen them both ways.

I would like to get Marchal Fog lights but am beginning to think that MAYBE more of the GT/CS came with the Lucas Fog Lights. Anyone know where I could get a ultra nice pair of either? Any suggestions or nice comments for this novice?. I saw the following Marchal on Ebay as well. Would they still be correct with the amber lenses? Could the lenses be switched?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marc...ryZ34207QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know I have lots to learn. I am listening

Thanks!!!!!

Jose

somethingspecial

Jose, Welcome to the site.

To give you a quick lesson. All GT/CS cars built prior to April 26th, 1968 were equiped with Marchal fog lights attached to the brackets in the grill. They had clear lenses, not amber. Due to legal reasons, the Marchal lights were deemed to bright in California, so Ford issued a recall on all GT/CS cars, and replaced the Marchal's with Lucas fog lights. Not all owners participated in the recall. All cars produced after April 26th, were equiped from the factory with Lucas lights. These were mounted on top of round pedistals mounted through the grill molding. The example you supplied shows one driving light (Clear Lens) and one fog (Defused lens). The Fog light is correct for both lights. The recall cars were retroed at the dealership, and some Lucas lights were mounted incorrectly by not using the round pedistals. All GT/CS mustangs, regardless of production date, or fog lights installed still had the Marchal style fog light brackets in the grill. This was due to the fact all the grills were already made by Shelby automotive.
I hope this helps. Mike
ps, Be sure of your production date before buying fog lights, as all cars produced after 4-26-68 are only correct with Lucas lights. Also, the mounting studs are the same length. The picture is deceiving, but they are the same length.

OP
OP
G

gijosegtcs

Thanks Mike & Arlie,

This is exactly what I mean when I say that this site is a wealth of information. I am so glad that I was informed of it by a couple of fellows at the 31 SAAC gathering this past weekend. Your information answers my choice of fog light brand and then where to find some.

I am sure that I will have plenty of questions in the months/year to come. I will do my best to do research homework before I start bogging you guys with tons of questions. It makes it easier to know that if I do run into a wall that all the members here are quick to help. Hope to be able to do the same someday.

Thanks again

Jose

Mustanglvr

Welcome to the site Jose. Make sure you post lots of pics of your cars in the gallery for us. We love that.

68gt390

Jose;
Be careful when purchasing your lights. Some of these lights came with a black backing which is incorrect. The housings for both Lucas and Marchal lights must be all chrome. As to your last question, the lens' can be switched. There has also been some discussion here on the site about which Marchal light is correct if you use Marchal lights on your car. Most references state only the 656 lights were used. We have recently discovered some of the site members actually have 653 lights on their cars. Since the 653 and 656 lights are very similar I would use either if you decide on Marchal lights. See below link for more info on this subject.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3053

Don :wink:

OP
OP
G

gijosegtcs

Don,

Great info. Thanks. Does this mean that the Marchal 653's presently on Ebay would also be correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4632240061&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

But please do not worry I cannot afford them at that price. Just wanted to borrow the pics the seller has for reference.

Mustanglver(Rhonda?)

You bet I will. Just waiting to get to a point where I will have something worth placing in the gallery. Maybe a "how its coming along" pictorial soon.

Thanks again guys

Jose

BroadwayBlue

Welcome to the site Jose!!
Definitely post some pics regardless of condition!!

This is a great site for info with great people as you have already learned!:cool:

68gt390

gijosegtcs said:
Don,

Great info. Thanks. Does this mean that the Marchal 653's presently on Ebay would also be correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4632240061&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

But please do not worry I cannot afford them at that price. Just wanted to borrow the pics the seller has for reference.

Jose;
Yes, the 653's are so close not many folks would even notice the difference. The biggest difference between the 653's and 656's are the type of bulb used in each light. Some of the 653's have the number stamped on the top of the casing but, many do not.

Don