• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

World of Wheels

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Move in day for World of Wheels in Kansas City is tomorrow with the show on Fri, Sat, and Sun.

We have changed out our valve covers with the black "Cobra - Powered by Ford" type. Hopefully, the car will show in the restored class this year.

I will post a note as soon as I can about the outcome.

Paul

Mustanglvr

The cars have to be in pretty good shape and/or concourse to be in the World of Wheels, right?

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Mustanglvr said:
The cars have to be in pretty good shape and/or concourse to be in the World of Wheels, right?

I would venture to say that most all cars are in really good shape to show at World of Wheels, however it is not required. We showed last year when our car was new from restoration and that really helped us. But there are cars there that you wonder why they would bring them.

Our Mustang club shows at least 10 cars. Anyone who is in the club can ask for a spot. This year, we are showing 12 cars. The Mustang club is also responsible for guarding doors. The club gets paid for this duty.

After a years worth of driving, we brought our car back into the shop. We put it back on the hoist, removed the wheels/tires and hand cleaned the wheel wells and entire underside. We touched up paint where needed. We did the small amount of motor work that the judge advised us to do last year. Cleaned the interior very well and had the car buffed by our painter. Basically, we spent about 3 weekends getting ready for World of Wheels.

They inspect the cars very closely. If you are a contender for placing, they spend extra time looking over your car. Last year, I watched the judge look at the car and was shocked about how much time he spent looking. Keep in mind that they are rarely MCA judges but most have a knowledge about what a mustang is suppose to look like. Really, they are looking for a clean and well painted car.

Paul

68gt390

I would guess since they are open to all cars and not just a specific type they would judge on 3 criteria - Condition, Cleanliness and workmanship. I know that is what we do at our open shows in my area. I've noticed at several of our shows you can really drop a lot of cars out just on the above.

Don

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Don

You are correct. They do know something about Fords, Chevy's, etc. I also believe they have a fairly good background on Mustangs, Vette's, etc.

Yesterday was move in day. Once you get there, you roll up to the judge to be classified. This ensures you are placed in the right class. Last year and this year, I had the same judge. Last year, the judge asked me, "Is it original?" I said yes it was. However, upon inspection of my motor, he classified me in a modifed class because my valve covers were not correct and had extra chrome.

This year we changed the valve covers and made the motor look just like a 68 dress up kit pictured in Paul's book. I rolled up and told the guy I was a restored class. With doubt written across his face he said open the hood. He stepped back and said, "you are correct" and away we went.

So, I think they have some knowledge. However, when it comes down to the final judging, so many cars look great. Then, it comes down to condition, cleanliness is huge, and workmanship. They also take the time to look closely at your restoration photo's and Marti report.

Paul

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Update on World of Wheels:

As stated in previous post, we did compete in the Restored class at World of Wheels in Kansas City. It concluded last night and the GT/CS received "Outstanding in Class" again this year.

There was some really nice cars there this year. A 442 took "Best of Class".

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01181.JPG
    DSC01181.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01183.JPG
    DSC01183.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01184.JPG
    DSC01184.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 27

390cs68rcode

SOUNDS GOOD. DID YOU GET THE JUDGING SHEET SO YOU CAN FIX THE AREAS they deducted points from? I highly suggest everyone to do the same at every show you enter.

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Jason

I did get the judging sheet. The only thing I took a hit for was a dirty engine compartment. But wait... before you think bad thoughts about me, when we first started our restoration, we had no plans on making this car anything close to a show car. We didn't even know what it was. So, after we media blasted it, we brought the car in and put Por 15 on the engine bay to keep the rust from coming back. And, sad to say now, that we did not pay attention to dirt setting into the Por 15. Thus, dirt.

The judge brought this same thing up last year and I feel like I would need to remove the front fenders to do a proper job. Most of the dirt is on the ledge of the engine bay. So... Maybe this winter.

Paul

BroadwayBlue

PFSlim said:
Rich

By the looks of your member gallery photo's, it does. I posted a note on it the other day.

Paul

Thanks Paul! :cool:
I did see the note.

You know how it is ... you always want it to be a little better or a little more or whatever ... It looks good in the pics I admit ... but I still have a long way to go to be anywhere close to you and be in a show like that. I do eventually want to fix up some old body repairs, pull and clean/paint the engine and bay and do an exterior paint re-do as well ... and I'm pretty sure it's staying Acapulco Blue and not going back to original Lime Gold.

But enough about my CS - this thread was about your car. Congrats again looks great. And thanks for the compliment as well.

BroadwayBlue

PFSlim said:
Hey, the Acapulco Blue guys have got to stick together.

So... How many diecasts are you going to order??

Paul

A few dozen at least!! :grin:

OK not really ... but a couple ... one for my shelf, one (or two) for shows and cruises, one to store just in case one drives off on it's own...

68gt390

Congrats Paul. You have a beautiful car. Your award is well deserved. That's what I'll be doing in a few weeks. Cleaning the engine bay again. I figure since the 390 is getting pulled, while it's out before the 428CJ goes in I'll redo the entire engine bay and front cross member to clean all that up and get some of the power steering fluid off from down there. I also plan on putting in a new wiring harness from under the dash to the front lights since my other one looks pretty bad. Again congratulations.

Don