• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How do you fill your tank without spills?--'68

BroadwayBlue

This always a problem for me as well. There have been a number of threads here on this and other forums.

I leave a roll of paper towels in the trunk. I fold a few up and place them under the cap so it doesn't hit the bumper.

Then like others, turn it to the side (I also lean it a little bit up so it is touching the top of the pipe), then listen closely (also knowing about how much I need), and when I hear the gurgle I stop. All the time not squeezing too hard and I give it one last squeeze to be sure and usually a small amount falls into the gas cap. I soak it up with the paper towels. It's not more than a small amount on there that gets soaked up if you watch closely.

I give it that last squeeze because I've had it stop way too early on me. Right now my gas gauge isn't working so I need to make sure it's full for my estimate to the next fill up. I've only run out once.

I have the parts in the garage to fix the gauge so it shouldn't be bad much longer. :cool:

robert campbell

Danny is correct!! Bend radius is much different on todays fillers. In the 70's I had no prob with a 67/68 with pop open gas cap. Now it is difficult! Bent way over and twisting hard against the pop open. My 67 Fastback has the gas cap totally removed and you fill from the trunk with a straight shot.

Still like the pop open gas cap on the 68! Takes a bit longer, but I never spill! Remove your bumper and you will see lots of icky under the gas cap!

Price we pay to drive the best!!

Anyone remember the spring thinkee we screwed into our fill pipes to prevent siphoning in the mid 70's??

Rob

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Anyone remember the spring thingee we screwed into our fill pipes to prevent siphoning in the mid 70's??
Rob

Yes!

....and those padded, cloth tiger tails that they gave out at Phillips 66 Stations for "A tiger in your tank".....you hooked them on the neck inside the gar door on bigger cars (rear quarter). Then the tail would fly around on the side of your car on the road.

Then there were the Chevron "Hula Dollars", with coins you'd match, and all kinds of other promotional stuff!!

I think if folks pulled off their rear bumpers, they'd be surprised to see that "ick" stuff under there....and what is all over the lic. plate lamp.

Thanks for the memories!

Paul.

clubpro

Paul,

That would be Exxon that used the tiger in their ad. I loved the 76 antenna ball especially since I graduated in 76.

Cheers,

Ron

clubpro

Here's your ad from Esso which became Exxon in the early 70's.

Cheers,

Ron

Attachments

• Put a tiger in your tank.jpg
    Put a tiger in your tank.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 11