• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Progress Report and new toy...

bassman2

Progress is going slow... but I'll have lots of questions for all the experts here in a few more weeks.

I've got two CS's - The blue C code is ready for the rotisserie tomorrow!!! I'm getting the windshield and rear window removed by a pro in the morning then....I'm bolting it on to the rotisserie! I'm going to try to soda blast it and we'll see what happens... At minimum I'll clean the bottom up and send it off to a pro to blast...

I also just decided on the Borgeson power steering conversion kit - I figure I'll give it a try.

The 289 motor is out and getting professionally built by a local guru. The rear end was cleaned up and I was happy to discover it was a 3.50 posi rear end. Not stock but good to go! The transmission was rebuilt and is good to go!

A little more work and I'll turn it over to a pro for the finish prep.

And here's the new TOY - don't hate me.....

P1000012.jpg

P1000010.jpg

p51

And here's the new TOY - don't hate me.....

P1000012.jpg

Hate you?... After seeing the pictures I was trying to figure out a way to get adopted and worked into the will :grin:

Sweet ride! :thumb:

Ruppstang

Love the Shelby , My favorite color. You are making good progress. Take some pictures of the project too. Marty

JohnnyQuest515

Add your toys to the gallery, so we can have a better look.

Sorry but I am disgusted with anyone that has a Shelby, just kidding :embarass:
Randy

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bassman2

Here's a pic of CS #2 on the rotisserie today!!!! Can't believe I managed this all by myself. I had a victory beer afterwards!

IMG_0214.jpg

robert campbell

Looks great. I will have a victory beer on your work tonight! Anything to help and have a beer!!

Wait until you decide to dig those spark plugs out of the KR. Best method is remove the export brace and the valve covers!! I had a white KR in 1975. Sold her for $4k in 1976 to buy my first house..... I think a KR is worth more than the house I bought back then, in todays market!! Rob has always been a shrewd investor!!!

Rob

JohnnyQuest515

I agree on the spark plugs, not much room with big blocks. The blue GT/CS looks to be a nice project. Keep us posted.

What color is CS#2?

Randy

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Here's a couple more pics!

IMG_0221.jpg

This is CS#2 being rotated today to begin clean up of the bottom - before I soda blast... I almost had a big problem today... I was adjusting the Roto to get it balanced and was testing the balance by rotating the car... I didn't have one of the main attachments fully clamped and it slipped down, almost dropping the car on it's top!!!

I was able to stop the rotation and hold on, keeping it from smashing the top on the bottom crossbar of the rotisserie. I wasn't sure I could lift the car body back up or not - but I knew I could not let go and let it smash the roof!

I realized I had no choice but to try to lift and rotate the car back around. I summoned everything I had and lifted... and got the car upright and the Tbar attachment slid back down in place.

I had to go outside and sit down on the ground. I was freaking out and couldn't believe I almost ruined the car! Lesson learned! (And it's a good thing I'm a weightlifter!!)

Here's my other CS.

IMG_0903.jpg

This is CS #1 It's black but should be gold! I haven't decided what to do with it yet...

robert campbell

WHEW!!! Are you my brother, with Steve Wick "rvrtrash"??? I used to pound the weights.... Now I am old and fat.... Now Steve.... He is a stud!!!

Rob

OP
OP
B

bassman2

I'll tell ya what - I still don't really know how I was able to get the car back in the right place... I lift pretty hard and I think that is what saved my car today!

Get back in the gym dude! It's never too late. 43 here.

Ruppstang

Wow that gives me chills just to think about it. After my 67 ran through the door of my shop last November. I certainly have been more safety oriented. Glad you and the car are ok. Marty

robert campbell

I'll tell ya what - I still don't really know how I was able to get the car back in the right place... I lift pretty hard and I think that is what saved my car today!

Get back in the gym dude! It's never too late. 43 here.

55 here.... Right shoulder problem, but not bad. Bad L4 and L5 in my back starting at 50. For two years I could not stand or walk for more than about 2 minutes. Scheduled a fusion and one week before it was to happen, I was touched by the hand of God! Trust me on this one! All of a sudden I could walk and stand for long periods of time. 2years of not even being able to mow the lawn!!! Cancelled fusion!

I am so happy to hike and walk again. Much smarter and I lift much lighter now!! Used to pound the heavy iron! Not anymore.

Rob

rvrtrash

WHEW!!! Are you my brother, with Steve Wick "rvrtrash"??? I used to pound the weights.... Now I am old and fat.... Now Steve.... He is a stud!!!

Rob

Hey wait a minute! Isn't a stud another name for a dolt....I mean bolt, with no head on it's shoulders? :confused: Thanks a lot buddy!
B-man, glad you saved the car. Amazing what you can do when you're "motivated" huh?

Steve

robert campbell

Steve,
Stud = Muscular babe magnet! How do you keep the women off you!!

Glad I wan't not there! I would have grabbed the car and......... FUSION surgery!!

Rob