• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine bay decals

felviner

I looked but so far didn't see any 68CS with engine bay decals as there would be on a common 68GT ,I know someone who restored a 68GT to concours and he's got small decals on the firewall B for body ,T for trim P for paint and various others he's also got a yellow crayon mark just under the chrome head cover reading S and a sticker on the chrome cover reading OK in yellow.
Does the GT/CS come out with these decals,it would be a shame if it didn't cos these decals enhance the look of the engine bay.
Anyone got pictures to share

Last edited:

CougarCJ

Hopefully Jeff or Marty will chime in.

It has been my understanding that those were quality inspection stickers, and would be found at intervals of 50-100 cars?

Personally I don't like them, looks like graffiti to me.

Ruppstang

It is just me but if you do not know that it was originaly on the car I would not put it on. I like to keep it original. I see many cars detailed like those built in other assembly plant and they are just plain wrong. Marty

6t8-390gt

Eric,

You have to remember that Mustangs were assembled in 3 differnet plants in 68. All the plants have unique features or methods to assembly. With that being said, the "stickers" you are referring to was most commonly used at Dearborn and indicated paint, trim, etc. were quality inspected. Inspectors at the San Jose and Metchen plants used "stamps." The stamps used varied and were of differnet types for each specific plant.

Engines were a sub-assembly manufactured in another plant and shipped to the assembly plants for installation. Therefore, many of the stickers are consistant between final assembly plants. There were at least two engine assembly plants (that I am aware of ) in 1968.

Chalk marks, paint daubs, paint codes, date codes, casting # vs. part#, etc. etc., etc. It can get confusing, but were all here to help.

As Marty said the best reference is your own car and with gentle cleaning and knowing where to look and what to look for you will be amazed at what you will find. I do not use a magazine car or restored cars as a reference because you can not be sure it's correct.

Good Luck,
Danny

OP
OP
felviner

felviner

It is just me but if you do not know that it was originaly on the car I would not put it on. I like to keep it original. I see many cars detailed like those built in other assembly plant and they are just plain wrong. Marty

Thanks Marty ,
I don't want to carnivalise my car as we say in Malta . I just ask questions and prepare myself for when the time for restoration comes .
No way I will not ruin the car with something that came out on another type of car or assy plant

Regards to you & your father

OP
OP
felviner

felviner

Eric,

You have to remember that Mustangs were assembled in 3 differnet plants in 68. All the plants have unique features or methods to assembly. With that being said, the "stickers" you are referring to was most commonly used at Dearborn and indicated paint, trim, etc. were quality inspected. Inspectors at the San Jose and Metchen plants used "stamps." The stamps used varied and were of differnet types for each specific plant.

Engines were a sub-assembly manufactured in another plant and shipped to the assembly plants for installation. Therefore, many of the stickers are consistant between final assembly plants. There were at least two engine assembly plants (that I am aware of ) in 1968.

Chalk marks, paint daubs, paint codes, date codes, casting # vs. part#, etc. etc., etc. It can get confusing, but were all here to help.

As Marty said the best reference is your own car and with gentle cleaning and knowing where to look and what to look for you will be amazed at what you will find. I do not use a magazine car or restored cars as a reference because you can not be sure it's correct.

Good Luck,
Danny

Thanks Danny

You and Marty sure know a thing or two about these cars and Ilike to follow advice from people like you guys.

Cheers and thanks for the input.
Eric

Ruppstang

Eric,
I enjoy helping others as many on this site do. I dropped off you bumper for replating yesterday. They said that it would take 4-6 weeks. You might also check out concoursmustang.com you can learn a lot of concours details there.
Marty

OP
OP
felviner

felviner

Eric,
I enjoy helping others as many on this site do. I dropped off you bumper for replating yesterday. They said that it would take 4-6 weeks. You might also check out concoursmustang.com you can learn a lot of concours details there.
Marty

Thanks again Marty
I am excited to see the finished result on the bumper but in no hurry to receive them cos as you know the car has 2 bumpers that are doing the job well enough and even when I receive these ones I will put them to storage for the restoration day .

I will take a look at this concours site and stuff myself with info.

Cheers and regards to all

I am still waiting for some pics of the last show you went :smile:

Have a nice weekend
Eric

whodat

Eric,
Marty
Is there a secret to answering the questions to register there? I know I am answering them correctly?

OP
OP
felviner

felviner

Is there a secret to answering the questions to register there? I know I am answering them correctly?

There's no secret answer but its kind of complicated to get the registration fully completed ,it took me a while too, lucky I managed just before I lost hope and my patiense ,
You have to copy the funny letters right , use capital letters and numbers in the Password and don't give up too quick.
Then when all is completed you have to wait for the system to accept your request ,I'm still waiting .

Good luck

Ruppstang

Don't give up. It is designed to keep the hackers out. If you can't get in let me know and I'll email the adman. Marty

whodat

There's no secret answer but its kind of complicated to get the registration fully completed ,it took me a while too, lucky I managed just before I lost hope and my patiense ,
You have to copy the funny letters right , use capital letters and numbers in the Password and don't give up too quick.
Then when all is completed you have to wait for the system to accept your request ,I'm still waiting .

Good luck
Did you ever find a thread about what you were looking for? I searched to no avail. They had other years, but no 1968 engine bay details.
Dominick

OP
OP
felviner

felviner

Did you ever find a thread about what you were looking for? I searched to no avail. They had other years, but no 1968 engine bay details.
Dominick

Dominick

I took Marty's advice and will not do anything to the car unless it was really there from the factory , and also I am only gathering the information for the future cos at the moment the car doesn't need restoration but I know one day I will do a full restoration and I ask questions just out of curiosity.

Thanks for taking the time and search .
Did you manage to get on concoursmustang if so I'm on as 1of111 that's my username
Regards
Eric