• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Bleeding Brakes??

jc68gtcs

I just replaced my right rear wheel cylinder and now need to bleed the brakes. Can anyone tell me the proper sequence in which to do so.?

thanks..

CougarCJ

Furthest from the master cylinder first and then the next.

1. Passemger side rear
  2. Driver side rear
  3. Passenger side front
  4. Drivers side front

This would probably be a good time to evacuate and replace with all fresh fluid. Bleed the reservoir completely through the wheel cylinders. Top it off with fresh before it reaches the bottom. We don't want any air bubbles let into the stream.

franklinair

And be careful not to displace the brake warning light switch - or the light on the dash will stay on until you re-center it (or disconnect the connector to the switch, mounted adjacent to the master cylinder).

Neil

OP
OP
jc68gtcs

jc68gtcs

Thanks CougarCJ, that's pretty much how I went about it, but I can't seem to get the Brake Light to go out. Neil may have hit that on the head with the warning light switch scenario. I'll check that.
Thanks guys..

franklinair

Not knowing whether the centering mechanism was displaced by front or rear bleeding, I would suggest that you bleed one or the other (it doesn't matter which) until the pedal goes to the floor. Then bleed the opposite brake end (front or rear) and only press the pedal half way. That should center the switch mechanism. Hope this helps.

Neil

rvrtrash

Mine was frozen in an offcenter position after sitting for 20 plus years. I had to take the ends off and pound it out, and then replace the o-rings. Hope yours isn't that bad.

Steve