• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail Light harness diagram

franklinair

Where can I find the wiring diagram for the harness on the tail light units? My diagrams are only show the generic '68 tail lights.
Does anyone reproduce/sell these harnesses?

Neil

dalorzo_f

The only wiring diagram I have seen is in the Paul Newett book.

On the wiring the one that rides down the LH rocker, or the actual 3 bulb assembly?

Assuming that latter as you note "on the units". I bought all my wiring for my EXP (similar setup) from Pete Disher in the last year or so:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/wiringlist

If you don't buy from Pete, be careful which one you buy, there is at least one after market style that will not work with OEM style taillight buckets. (ask me how I know!) :wink:

The Alloy Metal ones Pete sells have small circular press-on retainers to hold the bulb sockets, as the sockets don't quite press into housing as tight as OEM, and don't hold well. When you install them be very careful how the 4 small tabs on the retainer line up, as they can block the slots for the pins on the bulb and make it impossible to install the light (as above, ask me how I know!) . I found I had to use a small flat screwdriver to press them on really firm, as the first try resulted in the bulb sockets pushing back out when I went to install the bulbs...

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I'm really just looking for the diagram of the harness that's on each of the tail lite units.
Arlie had already sent me the harness that runs from the dash back to the trunk. And the diagrams reflect those circuits.
Diagrams I have do not show the 3 light circuits for CS, Shelby, Cougar units.

Neil

Mosesatm

Neil,
Can you work up a diagram using the lights from the two cars in your shop?

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Yeah, I can do that. I was looking for an easier route. I can draw the circuits with the wire color codes.
I'm trying to help a friend develop an LED sequential system for CS's. Scott has loaned me a spare light assembly to use as a model. Might as well use the time and draw one up since I'm grounded from doing much else right now.

Neil

CougarCJ

Aren't the 1968 GT/CS tail light housings, and housing wiring all factory 1965 Thunderbird?

1968 Cougar has sequential turn signal parts with the tail light harness.
1968 Shelby has something called Dynamite sticks for triggering the sequentials.

Mosesatm

Attachments

• wiring-diagrams-of-1965-ford-thunderbird-part-1.jpg
    wiring-diagrams-of-1965-ford-thunderbird-part-1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

The T-Bird drawing looks PERFECT. Thank you. I can make a drawing based on that.
Question: Does the adjoining page list the color codes of the wires?
Many thanks.

Neil

Mosesatm

Here's Part 2.

Attachments

• wiring-diagrams-of-1965-ford-thunderbird-part-2.jpg
    wiring-diagrams-of-1965-ford-thunderbird-part-2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 48