• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Got Questions for a worker at A.O. Smith?

P

PNewitt

A.O. Smith, in Ionia, MI., made the fiberglass parts for the '68 Shelby, and GT/CS. They also assembled the '68 and '69 Shelbys.

I have found a contact who knows one of the top personnel that worked at A. O. Smith in 1967-70, when the CS parts were made, and shipped out to California.

I have new, wonderful access to information and some photos, too, for the new GT/CS book.

I would like to offer all of you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have for this person, as well as for me. Then I will be asking these same questions.

I already will be asking how "witness lines" on side scoops were made, and how the decklids were made.

Anything you would like me to to ask about A.O. Smith Plastics Corp.--feel free to do so here.

thanks, Paul N.

case12

Did they ever see, or hear of, Little Red or the Green Hornet? Did they ever see, or talk with, Fred Goodell. Anything interesting about how they molded the fiberglass, vs layering (I am not an expert in this area, so I may not be saying it right). As far as I know, the only fiberglass part that is unique to the CS is the scoop? The others were the same as Shelby? Any stories about the Cougar, Mustang and Shelby at that point in time? Lastly, what was the mood in 67/68 with Shelby fading out of the picture - ie, Shelby American vs Shelby Automotive? Casey

Mustanglvr

What was the opinion of the workers concerning the similarities between the GT/CS and the Shelby?

-=MUSTANG=-

"witness" lines are created where the mold separates. I design interior plastics, parting lines, as we call them, are a huge factor in injection mold tool design. They need to be unobtrusive or invisible on A-surface, and have many criteria for ease of tool shut-off and tool maintenance. Follow the parting line on your side scoop and you are looking at place where two halves of tool steel came together to create the void where fiberglass filled to become that part.