• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 68 Headrests - where from?

candycal

I'm trying to get some after market headrests for a '68 GT/CS. I've seen some (CJ Pony Parts) that are nothing like what came out on the late '68s and NPD recommend their '69 headrests with an adaptor kit but they have no image of them in their online catalogue. I'd appreciate some recommendations on aftermarket ones that look good and or look similar to the correct '68 issue ones.

franklinair

IIRC: The '68 headrests use 2 metal rods with receptacles in the top of the backrest. The '69 headrests have a wide single center post with the receptacle in the center of the seatback. A lot of folks buy '69 lowback seats w/headrests (the seatbacks are the same except for the headrest receptacles) and use the '69 version. They are sometimes listed on E-Bay ($300+) plus shipping.
I have a pair of black '69 headrests (no mounting hardware though) if you would like to have them.

Neil

Mosesatm

dalorzo_f

I'm actually looking into modifying the '68 seat back to mount the '69 headrest. Parts won't be here for a week or two, but if I get something sorted I'll post details here.

Hoping it shouldn't be too hard to mount a plate to bolt the '69 headrest to the '68 frame, they are very similar and looking at either a bolt in or welded addition to the frame should work as it seems a waste to throw out the whole seatback for the sake of the mount...

Mosesatm

Here is a photo of a '69 seat frame.

Attachments

• CIMG0041.JPG
    CIMG0041.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 37

dalorzo_f

Yep, have a pair of '69's and about 3 pairs of 68's, thus the desire to figure out a conversion as the 69's are not too readily available in Oz. The pair I have owe me $700, as shells, $400 to buy complete with bad foam and ripped upholstery, $300 to ship interstate... about average for here.

So a cheap conversion would be a potential money saver for a lot of folks as the 68's are the red headed step child of add on headrests, as the TMI kit only works on 65-67's....

Especially with the entire headrests available as repro now.

OP
OP
C

candycal

Thanks for all the replies.

I've learnt a lot, looks like I'll have to use the '69s. Arlie the Mustangs Unlimited versions look fine, I'd like to stay as original as possible but not going down the concours route so they're probably as close as I'll get.

Neil, thanks for the offer, much appreciated but I may as well get new ones with the attachments at the same time.

OP
OP
C

candycal

They'd pretty much fit the bill Bret, thanks. I just don't know if it's worth trying to get them from Bonney Lake Washington to California for shipping with the car. If anybody happens to hear of any 69 seats in Cal I'd appreciate knowing about them as it'd make life a lot simpler to have them shipped that way.

rvrtrash

Keep looking on craigslist, wrecking yards, etc. I found a set of junk 69 seats for $35.00/pr and a local upholstery guy is going to recover the headrests in my color for $75.00. I'm taking the upholstery off my seat backs and putting it on the '69 seat back and then will just save the frames. Here's an example, but I'd want someone to look close at them to make sure they're the right ones because they don't have the correct upholstery on them.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2337126315.html

Steve

Last edited:

rvrtrash

The front of the bottom cushion is wrong, but that might be the way they uphostered it when it was recovered. It's just my opinon that it's been recovered, but it's not "stock". That's why I would have someone check it over carefully. The bottom seat cushion should look exactly like a '68.

Steve