• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Factory Disc brakes

dalorzo_f

+1 on drums being OK for most applications.

Have OEM manual on my GT/CS and while not "great" are more than adequated for general nice-weather around town driving. Look well ahead, drive a little slower, brake a little sooner... no problems...

Ruppstang

Neil
You must be talking about using a after market booster because if you use the Midlands or Bendex you need to change the pedal and brake switch. It's the same setup for power dics or power drums. I had a 67 6cil Mustang that I added a booster and the drum brakes worked very well even with the small 6cil brakes. Marty

franklinair

Power Brake Conversion Kit, no pedal modifications required, NPD P/N 2005-23AB, $319.95.
This will be my 3rd conversion for a '68 Mustang, drum brakes. Kit comes with new booster, new dual M/C, adapter link for existing standard brake pedal, utilzes existing brake light switch, no proportioning valve required. Easy installation, much improved braking action.
For a daily or occassionaly driven car this seems to be the most practical approach costwise, coupled with good braking performance.

Neil

OP
OP
R

retroman99

excellent thoughts Neil i bought a midland booster and master cycnliner they are being rebuilt as we speak. I could stop there and see if i like it. hadnt really thought about just powering up those old drums

68 special

I must have got lucky in my swap to disc brakes. I found a complete set, L & R on c/l for $80, then found a new set of rotors, c/l again for $60, and replaced 1 caliper for $150, $20 for caliper rebuild kit, $40 for cross-over tubes. Already had the booster and proportioning valve. So, less than $400 plus my time, I have disc brakes. I did it for the safetey aspect more than anything. Best investment I've made. My .02 worth.

Bret

clubpro

Arlie,

They are the lines that run from one side of the caliper to the other.

Cheers,

Ron

Attachments

• MCL001.jpg
    MCL001.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
R

retroman99

Booster problem so i got the booster and MC but the booster didnt have the rod that goes between the MC and booster. I got the plate and the brake pedal connecting rod but no push rod. Rebuild shop didnt have any laying around guy i bought the booster and MC from told me that that they were plentyful. Well now i have nice rebuilt unit but no push rod any leads on where i can pick one up without having to buy a complete booster

franklinair

Is this the PB part you need?

Neil

Attachments

• MEGAFILE 228.jpg
    MEGAFILE 228.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 27

68 special

Marti is correct on the kelsey-Hayes 4 puck system. Guess I should have added that little tidbit of info. Chose that because it all bolts right up to the '68 drum spindles so I didn't have to mess with swapping them. I'm really happy with the system.

Bret

franklinair

I'll check the P/B type tomorrow. The rod length IS adjustable- note the capnut on the end of the rod.

Neil

PS:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

franklinair

The rod is from a Midland PB booster. If you want it, PM me your mailing address and its yours. Consider it a belated Birthday present!!

Neil

Attachments

• MEGAFILE 228.jpg
    MEGAFILE 228.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 13

ggieras

go to chockerstang.com great informative site,owner is real nice as well,if you call them he will tell you the original setup depending on what year you have,good luck.

ggieras

correction on that website,it is chockostang.com,sorry for the confusion,its been a while