• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Correct wheel for spare (and jack)

68P51

Hi,

I'm getting close to wrapping up a LONG restoration on my GT/CS and am trying to figure out which wheel to use for a spare. I have 15x7 Shelby 10 spokes on the car but thought it would be cool to use an original looking wheel for the spare. I see there are some aftermarket aluminum ones which should weigh less. Can someone tell me or provide a link to one that was like it came on the car? It looks like there are different colors, sizes, etc.

Also if you know where to get a good repro jack I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks.

Ruppstang

The original wheels and spare are 14 inch. The spare could have been a plain steel black rim or if the car came with styled steel wheels the spare could match the optional wheels. IMHO if you are running 15 X 7 Shelby 10 spokes I would use a 15 X7 steel spare as Shelby did.

OP
OP

68P51

Ruppstang

#1 is by far the most correct. I am not sure what a pound or two difference would make.
You can often find original jacks on EBay.

CougarCJ

Just a comment on the available reproduction jack.

Here is our description:

Reproduction scissor jack for any year Mercury Cougar or Ford Mustang. This is a cheap Chinese jack that is clearly marked "For Display Use Only, Not for Lifting Vehicles". It resembles an original scissors jack, but there are several differences. It functions properly and will lift weight, but we wouldn't use it on any of our personal cars. This is the ACME brand like used by Wile E Coyote.

franklinair

The all chrome one does not use the trim ring- the rim is chrome.
The 2nd one could use a trim ring, except its 15" instead of the original 14' wheel.
The all chrome 15" wheels look great. That's what I put on Hatchdog's Highland Green CS.
But 68P51 is only wanting one for a spare tire.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP

68P51

Thanks for the advice. I went with the chrome one and a GT center cap. I found it a little cheaper somewhere else. I also found a jack and lug wrench on eBay. I thought I was finished sanding and painting parts. This one will take a little elbow grease.

I think the BFG tires I just purchased are too small (205/65/15) to make the car look right so once I burn some rubber off the back ones I think one will become the spare tire and I'll buy bigger ones to live on the car.

I love the Highland Green CS's. I really would like to find one for my wife to drive someday.