• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Would you like to have your Gt/CS restored to Concourse Trailered condition?

classicsguy

I would love to have my GT/CS restored to this standard in order to admire the car excactly as it came fron the assembly line. Of course finances prevent this from happening but the tough part would be not driving the car. These cars are meant to be driven and thats the whole idea of this hobby. I am not very familiar with show categories but maybe have one in the Concours Driven Class if this term is correct. What do you guys and gals think?

T Code Bob

I had a friend who built a 68 Firebird to concours condition. He ended up with a 1:1 scale model of a Firebird becasue he couldn't (or wouldn't) drive it anymore. That's not a car (at least that's my opinion, I could be wrong).

somethingspecial

I am restoring ours to Concours trailered condition. It will debut at Concord, Ca. MCA show in June. I intend to achieve as many points as I can, and then I intend to drive it. A big investment, yes, but I will have a brand new car to drive, just as it was in 1968. Mike

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

I am restoring ours to Concours trailered condition. It will debut at Concord, Ca. MCA show in June. I intend to achieve as many points as I can, and then I intend to drive it. A big investment, yes, but I will have a brand new car to drive, just as it was in 1968. Mike

Thats very captivating somethingspecial! Who is doing your restoration? A shop or yourself?

DeadStang

On one hand, yes--I'd like the opportunity to drive a totally "new" 1968 Mustang! Most of my old Mustangs are crappy to actually drive, with sloppy front ends, lots of road noise, lousy heaters, and general funkiness about them. I have a "new" (got it last November) 1968 Ford 3/4 4x4 HighBoy truck with only 66K original miles--and that is one wonderful truck to drive! Beats the crap out of my last old truck, a 1972, with 95K original miles.

On the other hand, tho, I like to drive all my cars (not in the rain, tho!), and knowing myself, I just could not drive a perfectly restored Mustang. I'd end up coveting it in the garage and wouldn't enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed. Maybe if it was some concours restored old Chevy thing, I could drive it in the rain and rag on it and not feel guilty, LOL.

Midnight Special

...Although I keep mine spotless and in optimum condition, I found the best way to show them is to drive them. Getting caught in the act of doing what you love before an appreciative populace is far more rewarding to me than hiding them between shows only to impress (or not) a very few. Expense, worry and fuss notwithstanding...

Aside from that; what is considered 100% correct and full on "concours" remains a matter of debate here. I still believe that if I were to have bought one in '68, placed it in Nitrogen filled storage, then brought it out today, that a self-proclaimed know-it-all would nitpick it to the frame regardless (not speaking of credentialed judges of course).

'Not for me...
My $0.02 only.

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Aside from that; what is considered 100% correct and full on "concours" remains a matter of debate here. I still believe that if I were to have bought one in '68, placed it in Nitrogen filled storage, then brought it out today, that a self-proclaimed know-it-all would nitpick it to the frame regardless (not speaking of credentialed judges of course).

Boy, Tim, you got that right! The judging process--for any marque of car--is more subjective than anyone might think. "Cleanliness and Condition" accounts for a lot, and the appearance of concours can work for you, too.
(BTW--I just sent a ton of GT/CS info to MCA for review and inclusion in the 1968 Rules, so, we'll see).

Mike J. has the right idea. Build a new car to re-experience the GT/CS once again by driving it. But that's only ONE of many ways to experience a classic car. Concours condition is just one of them--not a means to an end, nor should it be a measuring stick against others that are not of that top condition (although, we owe Mike a lot for his dedication for details, and the sweat equity--that we'll all get to know about and use on our own CSs).

It's one of those things--to each their own. If you like trophys, and going to car shows, and enjoy the company, then go for that.

If you like to race your GT/CS at the track, and hang out with others into that, go for that, too.

If you want to hose off the car, and go to the local burger joint club meeting, than go for that, too.

If you happen to live near Pismo Beach (CA), and want to drive your CS on the beach (the same place where they filmed the commercial) spin donuts in the sand, and get salt spray on your underside, hey, go for that, too; because that's too cool!!

These are all different ways to enjoy your GT/CS. None are any "better" than the others. The bottom line is what makes you happy, and what you want to get out of the experience. I think it would be fair to say that we ALL dream about our cars factory-fresh, but those realities are limited to time, money, and motivation.

I've always said that "two thumbs up on the freeway equals one car show trophy". I bet Tim has at least 40 "thumbs up" trophys by now....

Paul N.

Midnight Special

Thats very captivating somethingspecial! Who is doing your restoration? A shop or yourself?

I'm here to say that Mike is beyond obsessed with quality, accuracy, attention to detail and above all, his dedication in consulting all corners of the planet to achieve total perfection (given what he started with!) I sincerely hope his endeavor is as rewarding to him as his inspiration and gained knowledge has been to us. It was Mike's years of obsession that inspired me to get back into GT/CSs in the first place.

I feel kind of guilty tho ;-) For the last two years - I've been driving and enjoying cars I bought that were already restored while he has been working constantly with his at tremendous expense! Needless to say; I envy his "goal ethic".

Knock 'em dead in June Mike!! :)

Last edited:

390cs68rcode

I would not do the concours thing if I only had one car. If I did the concours thing to one of my cars I would not drive THAT one.

PFSlim

I have to agree with Jason. It would be difficult to have one that nice and drive it as much as I drive mine. However, it would be great to have and I applaud anyone who can achieve it!!!

Paul

rvrtrash

While I think concours is great and enjoy looking at them, I personally don't have the funds or inclination to have a $100,000 piece of art in my garage. I'm the type of guy that would play Jimi Hendrix's guitar if I owned it. I restore my cars to like new, without worrying to much about putting in gas shocks instead of oil filled, and drive them on nice days. My hat is off to those that can do a concours car. I know what kind of time, money and determination it takes and realize they are doing what I can't.

Steve

GTCSMustang

Mike,

Does the "concours trailered" class allow for reproduction parts or do they all need to be NOS?

Just curious.

Scott

68 GTCS

I will have to say that if time and money were on my side I would like to experience the thrill of driving a "like new" or concours condition 68 GT/CS. However I buy my cars to drive, I owned a 1981 Trans Am Recaro Daytona 500 Pace Car with 41,000 original miles. I finally sold it for that reason, not to mention that its hard on cars to just sit. Unless you have a climate controlled storage. Hats off to the people that can do it. Any spare time that I have will be spent touching up my CS and hitting the road for the local car shows. :grin:

Kevin

Russ

Mike,

Does the "concours trailered" class allow for reproduction parts or do they all need to be NOS?

Just curious.

Scott

Concours trailered class can use reproduction parts, while the "throughbred" class uses only original or NOS parts.

Regarding this thread, I like having a car that is the way it came from the factory and is like new. While I have entered my car in the concourse trailered class, I still drive it and enjoy the car......I believe you can have the best of both worlds. The only downside is that darn AM radio!!!

Russ

John McGilvary

Concours trailered class can use reproduction parts, while the "throughbred" class uses only original or NOS parts.

Regarding this thread, I like having a car that is the way it came from the factory and is like new. While I have entered my car in the concourse trailered class, I still drive it and enjoy the car......I believe you can have the best of both worlds. The only downside is that darn AM radio!!!

Russ

Hey Russ, I agree with the AM radio downside.

As the original owner of my CS I just have a few questions.
> My CS has all the original parts it came with, (except tune up stuff), so would it be classified original or concours?
> It is getting its first re-paint shortly, with some minor bodywork. Does that change its classification?
> What is the difference between original and concours?

John

J_Speegle

A few observations of the hobby

1- In general I find that most owners would love to built a Concours car just to see if they could and how their efforts would stack up

2- There is some differences between regions as to how the process takes place and what happens after you build.In general owners in Calif and the west are more likely to restore a car themselves while owners in other parts of the country seem more likely to have them restored by a shop. This may be in response to the difference in how solid the begining project is.

Also ones the car has been shown it seems that cars in Calif turn into drivers were elsewhere get sold or preserved to handed down to the nextg generation.

3- The idea that restoring a car today will take $100K depends allot on the car you start with. With all the reproduction parts at very affordable prices the job is easier and the help easier to find than it was lets say 20 yrs ago

4- As for the "they were built to be driven" ... Always love that ... Ford built these cars for profit. Use them for a planter, transportation or a center piece at a wedding... they did care.

5- The goal for may is to be able to have more than one that you can have both ;) a show car and a driver

Just some thoughts from a very old man

Midnight Special

"A few observations of the hobby....

4- As for the "they were built to be driven" ... Always love that ... Ford built these cars for profit. Use them for a planter, transportation or a center piece at a wedding... they did care."

...So you're saying that we're all fools in a way - owners and admirers alike... Well, all I can say is that it's a good thing there are so many of us;-) So much for "men and boys and price of toys..." Now I wish I stayed with playing w/ model trains! ;-)

Perkchiro

Just to add a thought to the subject here. My car is not concours by any stretch of the imagination. It is however, nearly new. I restored it to enjoy it. That means sometimes I just like to look at it sitting in the garage, but most of the time I'd rather drive it on a nice, clear day. I considered at one point making the car completely original and concours level for show. I lost that vision when I realized that what I wanted was one to drive and enjoy. I can certainly appreciate the "trailer queen" car but for my taste, I'd rather drive one than pull one!!:smile:

Midnight Special

...I think too that "concours" and "new car" don't necessarily go together. Many restorations (and restomods for that matter) are just as new. Correct me if I'm wrong, but concours has everything to do with all original parts, correct inspection marks, by the book - to the window sticker and winning awards. Right? Perhaps the highest achievement attainable in "the hobby" as Mr Speegle puts it. But they should be driven (exercised) and maintained as they will return to nature just as fast w/ sitting. I've replaced far more old parts than worn parts...