• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Cooling Fans

franklinair

I'm curious about different applications of radiator cooling fans:
Direct drive on pulley.
Clutch drive functioned on RPM
Electric drive functioned on engine temp

What experience with various drives, +/-
Opinions of each type of drive, +/-

And, what about the newer type of aluminum radiators? And radiator shrouds?

These are issues to consider based on type of driving (concourse, daily driver, occasional driver, etc.)

Neil

green56

I use the temp thermostat I hav had no problems but I used mine because I was over heating but I. found my problem so I did not take it out just in case I have a problem it is their when it is 90deg when you shut the engine off it depends how hot the water is the fan will start up and run until the water temp drops

CougarCJ

I installed dual Spal fans on my 1969 CJ. They worked, but were noisy.
The radiator shop that custom made my fan shroud with dual fans said that a cross flow radiator design would work best.

Ricky Knapik

I have the factory setup on my 390. Clutch driven. I had no shroud when I got the car and it would get pretty hot when idling. Especially if I just came off the hwy. I added the shroud that it would've come with from the factory and it made a huge difference. It will still spit a little out if I run a full radiator. If it's an inch low, no problems. I can only assume these big blocks overheated a lot back in the day. I don't even have AC.