• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Paint stripe color: Marti report question

classicsguy

Does anyone knows why some Marti reports specify paint color stripe and others dont? I have recently received 2 Marti reports for 2 different GT/CS both white, One specified red paint stripe and the other one did not. I would say that the second one since it has a blue interior its a blue stripe. Anybody knows?

Mosesatm

Does anyone knows why some Marti reports specify paint color stripe and others dont? I have recently received 2 Marti reports for 2 different GT/CS both white, One specified red paint stripe and the other one did not. I would say that the second one since it has a blue interior its a blue stripe. Anybody knows?

It is probably referring to the pinstripes on the tops of the fenders, not the side stripes.

robert campbell

Funny,
My first car was a 67 Fastack in copper color. It had an accent stipe on the top of the fenders similar to Steve's in white. Hmmmmm.

Rob

teamlo

I agree with the comment concerning the paint stripe. It's the small accent stripe as mentioned. My '68 GT coupe (the one I owned back in the '80s) had that option, as well as the flat black hood stripes and a black vinyl top.

Terry

robert campbell

Mine was painted on my 1967 Mustang. Black stripe on burnt amber paint with saddle interior. Looked very nice.

P

PNewitt

My car has the paint stripe listed as an option also. Here's the thread where we discussed it. Pay no attention to Paul N. calling it a candy cane. By the way, I did go looking for a thin pinstriping tape at the auto paint store, but none matched my side stripe. I think paint is the only way to have it match.

Steve

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4054&highlight="paint+stripe"

Gosh, that was way back in 2006! Sorry for the "candy cane" reference...pay no attention!! HA! LOL!!

For what it's worth, I'll have the paint color codes for all the available '68 accent stripes in the book.

Paul "sugar rush" N.

patty.dilabio

Hi to all,and Happy New Year! This is a good demonstration of how the terms used to describe something confuse people.Ford uses the term paint stripe for the thin painted stripe along the upper body line.The tape stripe was already included as part of the california special package,so it is not mentioned-it is not an additional operation,or extra charge option.The Marti report reflects the Ford vehicle order image so to be accurate,if the report says paint stripe then the car should have a painted on stripe-dont even think of cheap tape,your car deserves top quality!This is one of the least seen options on 68 mustangs,and most are on regular/non cal specials.The original stripe was applied by a roller type (aka beugler) application,done by jig in seconds as almost the last step on the assembly line.If you look close you often see lines in the paint from the splined roller wheel that is part of the process.Paint applied by a pinstriper with a dagger brush will actually be smooth in comparison,and the durability is superior to tape.Hope this helps

pfinleyz

I didn't even realize my marti says "paint stripe". i guess i assumed it meant the cs stripes! If you look in Colin Date's book "original mustang 1967 to 1970" there is a picture of a cs on pg. 122 with the stripe. i didn't even notice it at first since it is subtle. it looks like it is only on the fenders and not the door, in which case maybe it doesn't look too busy. Maybe i will put it on my cs if i can figure out the exact placement. anyone know how to find out?