• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Steering Wheel Restoration

quicknick

I finally completed one of my winter projects. My factory leather wrapped wheel has been showing it's age these past years, so I removed and repaired it. The leather was badly faded to a tan color across the top and it had cracks and chips everywhere.
I received a very nice "Keewee" brand vinyl repair kit from my employees this last Christmas and decided to put it to the test. The gel covered the cracks and chips beautifully. It was very easy to work with and shape. I vinyl spray paint I purchased was far too shiny and did not match the rest of the satin black interior, so I rubbed black shoe polish over the entire wheel and it matched perfectly. These pics do not do the wheel justice as I had dead camera batteries and it was only 20 degrees in the shop today. The wheel turned out great and matches the rest of the interior perfectly. One project down, 25 more to go before spring.
2214358_4_full.jpg
2214358_5_full.jpg
2214358_6_full.jpg

OP
OP
Q

quicknick

I believe it is a cougar wheel. We had a customers 68 cougar XR7 in the shop last year with the exact same assy. except for the cougar badge. This piece was installed by the original owner back in 1970. N

6t8-390gt

I bought a steering wheel at a swap meet with the exact same leather cover and removed it. I later heard something about this being a dealer option and did find it listed "somewhere". I will try to find it again. I kept the cover, it is not in bad shape all things considered.