• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Power Steering Pump Teal color Paint Source

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Rick - Thanks for your time to get this photographed and posted! As mentioned, I +1 your dedication to the hobby. Thanks again!

I think that Richard's suggestions of the "+" trick will help tremendously in future searches. It would be nice if a user could specify a car and have a cookie remember that car when the user returns to flush out the parts not searching for - Napa, Autozone and Oreily have this feature. Huge time saver.

Thanks again - I have about my 15th order to phone in, so this will be included.

dalorzo_f

Just a note on Ricks' reply... that a the head of a company as large as NPD would go out and test spray a part and compare it to a know is pretty cool.

A lot of folks buy parts based on price, and I get that, but this type of dedication and interest from NPD is what sets them apart... many vendors would just say "its the color you get, buy it or don't..."

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

I have found NPD's prices to be on par or better than most others. A buddy at a shop back easy buys direct from Scott Drake and he said NPD is cheaper about half the time despite their SD discount. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376022084.652762.jpg

Here is a photo of off color paint. The small patch is a spot where weather strip was in place during the sand blasting and reprinting of the door. The light blue from NPD was lighter than original. Unfortunately, there is not enough to get a color spot match at the local paint shop. Had I any insight I could have matched it 10 years ago, but the paint would be bad now. And despite having the correct color code from Ford and ppg, the pain shop couldn't find a modern formula, so this is all I had to work with.

dalorzo_f

No clue what the close up is of... some door bit with two tone paint?

And I'd think the wrong color was ordered or wrong year light vs dark blue or a mislabeled can or similar error as none of NPD's stuff I've seen is that far off... at least in the last 5 years...

Rick@NPD

x-codegtcs - Your post on the interior paint is a bit confusing to me (probably not your fault, I just need another cup of coffee). But please confirm for me the NPD part # and application/description of the paint can you bought from us, and please confirm that I'm looking at that photo correctly... Is the entire RH portion of that door sprayed in our Light Blue?? And is your original color that you're going after the darker blue on the LH side? And it looks like there's a "sliver" of slightly different color separating LH from RH.

The darker blue in your photograph does not look like the correct "light blue" for 1968 applications, it looks like the darker to me. In fact, on the monitor here, it looks identical to our 65-66 medium blue AP-5747 and VP-5747, which we just finished re-formulating to match an original-paint door.

Any-hoo, I suppose my confusion is that the darker-blue paint in your picture does not appear correct to me for 1968, it looks awfully dark.

Rick@NPD

Oh, and by the way, we've got a brand-new upgraded (not reinvented, just upgraded) website launching in 2-3 weeks that does as you wish, you plug in your car's year once, and it holds onto that year throughout your visit.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Rick - thanks for checking back. The spot in question is the small "patch" in the light blue paint located in the "crotch" of the weather strip jam. The dark blue is guardsman blue on the exterior and the light blue is the interior AP-5748. The is original "survivor" paint was under some original weatherstrip remnants and is a darker blue than the formulated AP-5748. Unfortunately, I cannot get a better photo than this, I have tried different lighting, angles, cameras, etc. I have attached a photo of the exact same door before it was sand blasted - I know that lighting, camera, etc make a huge difference, so take it for what it is worth. At the time, I was not concerned to get a paint formula primarily due to my own ignorance. The car I had restored before this one (10 year prior) I could go into the paint store and they had a formula for it. Now that everything is computerized, I have found that some of the 68 formulas are not programmed. So that is why we bought the AP5748 and it turned out a bit lighter. I am still happy with the product finish, and just being nit-picky of course, but I think that we are all a bit nit-picky about our babies.

I am VERY excited for the new site! I cannot tell you how excited I am!!!!

Attachments

• DSC00115.jpg
    DSC00115.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 27

Rick@NPD

Got it... I think!! :)

I'll make a note to look at the AP-5748, and see if I can find something good to benchmark it against here.

We just adjusted our AP-5747 formula, made possible by a customer cutting-out and shipping me a good sized chunk of the inside of his original door (that he was replacing) that had virgin unfaded paint underneath the door panel.

Thanks!