• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Another AC water hose routing qn

Tequila

I searched for "water hose routing" and couldn't find what I was looking for, hence this post. I was trying connect the water hose to the heater box (factory A/C car) and noticed the dipstick is directly in front of the water outlet pipe (please pic #1). If I connect the hose straight it would be sitting in between the dipstick and the valve cover. Would the hose touching the valve cover be an issue?

Any alternative routing? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20150823_201625.jpeg
    20150823_201625.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20150823_201753.jpeg
    20150823_201753.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 31

Mosesatm

I think it's supposed to bend up and attach to the carb, but I won't swear to that until I find some photos.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Hi Arlie,
I forgot to mention that I have a 289 2V engine. Attached is a picture of the engine and the circled part is where I think this hose connects to.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20150823_213919.jpeg
    20150823_213919.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 42

rvrtrash

The hose is held by the bracket screwed to the outside of the choke housing. The hose curves toward the carb, then down to the port. The heat warms the choke spring to open the choke when the engine is at temp.

Steve

Attachments

• reassemble6.jpg
    reassemble6.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 32

Mosesatm

According to that diagram the hose we're discussing doesn't route up to the carb. It seems to lay on the intake, against the valve cover.

franklinair

Steve's photo looks correct to me.
Tequila's photo indicates we're discussing the inboard heater hose, which would route to the carb choke heater bracket (which is also on Tequila's photo) and then runs forward to the water pump fitting.

My 289 (Factory Air) does not have the factory carb. I converted to an Edelbrock electric choke carb, and routed the hose differently than the correct factory routing.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks everyone for the great info. I am so glad I was able to get great advice from all of you. Neil, what you said makes sense now... and now figured out what the bracket is for.

And dalorzo_f, thanks for the diagram. It is very helpful. I was actually connecting the hose from the water control valve to the water pump. I now realize I had it backward.

robert campbell

One thing I have run into is a plethora of different C4 dipstick tubes. And dipstick brackets that have been "bent" so to speak over the years...

My brother gave me a new definition for bending stuff. He used to work at Sears in the appliance and service department. You can't tell a customer that you just bent the door to make it shut. You had to write down the following...... Wait for it...... A little more......

"Adjusted metal (door, hinge, whatever) to factory specifications"

NOW WERE TALKIN!!! Bent the doody out of it!!!

Rob

Mosesatm

We used to do the same thing to car doors in the body shop. Sometimes they just need a good bending, or a 2x4 and a 3# hammer!!!