• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

MCA show

hcsstang

I took my HCS to a regional MCA show on Sunday and boy was it cold. The judges took about three quarters of an hour to check it out. They were under it ,in it and over it. I hope that I can get the judging report in a few weeks. I know one think thats wrong, I have the wrong control arms on it. When I started restoration I didn't do my home work on them . They should be three or four rivets instead on being pressed in like the ones that I got. Any body wants the upper and lower arms? I don't have a 100 miles on em. :-[ Live and learn. :-\

390cs68rcode

[quote author=hcsstang link=board=1;threadid=1628;start=0#msg9895 date=1114682590]
::)I forgot to say I got a GOLD in my class. 8)
[/quote]

very cool.

Mustanger

Congrats!!! - it's nice to see GT/CSs & HCSs getting well-deserved recognition. :)

nfrntau

Gold, That's very cool.
Did the MCA judges know what it was or did you have to convince them it was the real deal?

rvrtrash

I had no idea they were that picky. I guess I'd be out of the running right off the bat, because I undercoated mine to protect it from the gravel on the roads most of the year (The highway dept. says it's sand but they lie).
Steve

CJ

Congrats.....Can you post the judging report so that we may see just what the judging process is and the short comings we may have in the event we may enter our GT/CS's in such competition.

Thanks

Claude

OP
OP
H

hcsstang

I happen to know a fellow mustanger and is quite knowledable about Mustangs. I ran across the gentleman a week before the show and he knew what I had. In fact he is associated with AACA and MCA. So I didn't have any trouble. A week before the show he pointed a few things that's wrong but I didn't have time to straighten them out. I'm waiting for the Grand National in Youngstown this fall. I just finished making a wrist watch out of wood and I put a mustang decal in for the dial. I made one up with the GTCS decal that I got from Pauls book and I think that he has it. At least I hope that he received it.

OP
OP
H

hcsstang

:p I just received my report card from MCA. Boy are they pickey. I got 653 out of 700. First time showing my car with MCA. My alternator was a little dirty,wrong clamps on pwr ,fuel line incorrect for power steering,dirt at water pump and scratched. I have my hood release painted wrong. It should be phosphate , mine is painted cast blast. Missing radio condensor, door panel warped, wear and tear on top of console. The console is all repainted. tie rods painted the wrong color,sway bar and strut wrong color. grease fittings. no grease fittings they should be covered,shock towers should be painted black, control arms wrong should have four rivets. And last at least black stuff blowing out exhast. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it. ???

19HCS68

Wow! Those MCA judges are BRUTAL! :eek: Congrats on your Gold award. 8) Good job. Mine would maybe score in the 400's I'm guessing from what you guys are saying. I don't know, as I have never showed at an MCA event. But my HCS scores a perfect 700 in MY judging arena (my garage) every time! ;)

Gary

68gt390

[quote author=19HCS68 link=board=1;threadid=1628;start=0#msg9992 date=1114953142]
Wow! Those MCA judges are BRUTAL! :eek: Congrats on your Gold award. 8) Good job. Mine would maybe score in the 400's I'm guessing from what you guys are saying. I don't know, as I have never showed at an MCA event. But my HCS scores a perfect 700 in MY judging arena (my garage) every time! ;)

Gary
[/quote]

Gary;
Trust me. Being certified as a "Street Driven Judge" through MCA, they can be brutal at times even in this class. It only gets worse as you go up the ladder. As far as I'm concerned at the end of the day if your happy with your car that's all that matters. I have seen and met many folks who live and die based on awards and trophy's and if that's what your in it for you will get your heart broken many times. Myself, I get enough wo's and au's from just driving my car and that's enough to serve my ego. Most of the show's I attend in my local and outside areas have what they call the "Top 40" and "Best of Show". We actually had to break up a fight at a show last year all because 1 individual didn't get "Best of Show". He did place in the top "40" but, felt his car was the best. I hate to say it but, he had a 68 GT 500 and it really wasn't that great. Like I tried to explain to him that's your opinion and your more than welcome to it. If you don't like the judging then become a judge yourself. That's the only way you can change things if you don't like them. Of course that's my opinion and we all know how those are, everybody has one.

Don ;D

19HCS68

Don,

I didn't buy my car to get trophies. My car IS a trophy in my eyes. No, she's not perfect. But if she was then I would be trembling with fear every time I drove it. I've put my car in local shows and go to cruise nights and get a lot of attention and questions about the car. It's good enough to show off but not concours. Like you said "it's enough to feed the ego." I prefer not to enter in the shows as it is not fun to me to have to keep idiot adults and children away from the car. Plus, I have better things to do than sit there all day long vigilantly watching the car for above mentioned reasons.

For me, nothing beats a thumbs up from wide eyed people as I drive down the road! 8) But that's my cup of tea. To each his own.

Gary

68gt390

[quote author=19HCS68 link=board=1;threadid=1628;start=0#msg9996 date=1114956894]
Don,

For me, nothing beats a thumbs up from wide eyed people as I drive down the road! 8) But that's my cup of tea. To each his own.

Gary
[/quote]

Gary;
Very well said. I agree totally. ;)

Don

hookedtrout

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1628;start=0#msg9997 date=1114958711]
[quote author=19HCS68 link=board=1;threadid=1628;start=0#msg9996 date=1114956894]
Don,

Gary
[/quote]

Gary;
Very well said. I agree totally. ;)

Don
[/quote]

Mee three. Still drool over the concours stuff however. Not on it however. ;)

Hook

P

PNewitt

I'm wondering if the MCA judges go by '68 coupe production from San Jose, or (still) base it on the New Jersey-produced cars.

My new book will be VERY SPECIFIC about what is what on '68 coupes from San Jose--for judging.

I think that the four-bolt upper arms (saddle) was only a '67 thing--but I need to check that out. if they're THAT picky, why didn't they say that the arms are all natural?

I don't mind judging--but it should be consistent.

Paul N.

OP
OP
H

hcsstang

8) The AACA has the Grand National And you can get that at one show a year. One year it's east of the Mississippi and next year it's west. So it's in Denver this year but I;ll think that I;ll pass it up this year. But next year it's in Delware. Now with MCA thats another story. Attented a car show this Sun. I got a lot of thumbs up. A lot of people wanted to know about my car. and a lot heard about the HCS but never saw one.

quicknick

Paul,
I was once told that all San Jose cars came without the "CAUTION FAN" decal on the shroud. Can you verify? Nick

P

PNewitt

Frankly, I'm a little rusty on the sticker details.

It's been a few years, but I'll get with Jeff Speegle (MCA/ Shelby), and go over everything in great detail.

Off the top of my head--I think the caution-fan sticker was a '69 and later item, but don't hold me to it.

Paul N.