• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

console question

karolscali

since the light in my shifter did not work in my console i took it apart and now i am unsure how it all works. the slider bar with light pigtail was loose inside, how does it connect to shifter? there is a metal light socket and a pigtail coming out of shifter, i guess one for the light in rear of console, also there is one pigtail in the front of console by dash is that for a light inside rolltop? does someone have pictures of proper assembly or where to find them? be much apprecated

6t8-390gt

Does your car have the correct console shifter? Two different auto shifters were used. The console shifter has two raised brackets in opposing corners to hold the selector slide in place. The chrome handle also had a small bracket on the front of it to hold the slector rod. Check those to see if you have the right shifter.

The good news is the console shifter is now available in reproduction, or you can buy used and rebuild the shifter. Check Ebay for some pictures of both shifters, I'm confident you will find some pictures there.

Danny

robert campbell

Karol,
The console wiring harness powers up the light in the rollup door area and the light at the end of the console. There should be a separate harness for the shifter area. As Danny said you need the correct shifter with a tiny bracket welded to it that will allow a rod to drag the shifter light assembly back and forth as the shifter moves.

It has been a while, but the "rod" is white nylon and about 3 to 4 inches long. It snaps into the shifter bracket and the light assembly. It has a 90 degree bend on each end with a cut and "ears" that snap in place and hold it into the shifter and the shifter light assembly. They can be purchased through most Mustang suppliers.

Hope this helps.

Rob