• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Driver Seat mechanism; part needed and diagram

gtcs1

Hi,

Need a bit of help here. My driver bucket seat recline back-rest does not have the locking mechanism. The side lever use to unlock & allow the reclining of the back seat is there, but the rod connecting it to the botton hook is missing. This hook is also missing, and its associated hardware.

I can only guess someone previously wanted to recline his seat without having to action the lever, so he removed the internal mechanism.
Where can I get these parts? Are they sold in aftermarket.

Also, I bought the seat bracket that was part of a recall (part no D7ZZ-69618C46-A) for the 68 to 70 mustang, which had a weak welded pin. Any body has a diagram of this installation. Can't find it in the shop manual. Do I have to remove the seat cover to perform that? Is it obvious if my seat would have been already fixed previously, so I don't have to undo it for no reason. Any photo of the old installation / bracket.

Thanks

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

BroadwayBlue said:
GTCS1,

When you say "recline", do you mean "fold forward" to allow access to the back seat?

My driver's seat is broken as well and won't fold forward.

You're right, I mean fold forward. In my case, it is missing the rod and bottom catch lever. That way, I can fold it anytime without restriction. In case of accident, that could be dangerous.

If yours is locked ( I guess that's what you mean by broken), you may have just the rod broken. Since the bottom catch lever is spring loaded in the locked position, without a rod, it would be locked all the time, and the side lever mechanism would not operate the bottom catch lever.

To look at it, you just need to remove the seat back rest closing panel. That way, with a lamp you'll be able to see the mechanism.

P

PNewitt

This is sort of related..

Here is a photo of the seat recall part from FORD, that was called in about 1975-77. it replaces the (inside) seat pin, that was thought of "failing" and breaking.

Has anyone had this done--and/or is this on anyone's car?

I'll have part numbers and details later,

thanks,

Paul N.

Attachments

• seatbrkt.jpg
    seatbrkt.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
G

gtcs1

PNewitt said:
This is sort of related..

Here is a photo of the seat recall part from FORD, that was called in about 1975-77. it replaces the (inside) seat pin, that was thought of "failing" and breaking.

Has anyone had this done--and/or is this on anyone's car?

I'll have part numbers and details later,

thanks,

Paul N.

Hi,
I bought this kit. It's part number D7ZZ-69618C46-A. It is bare metal (not phospate coated). The bolt and nut are phospate coated. Would be nice to see this installed with a photo.

Why was there only a LH kit, not RH. Is it link to fatigue of the pin, which was more severe on LH, passenger side being used less often?

Attachments

• 06_12.jpg
    06_12.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 21

Mosesatm

My guess would be that the passenger hinges rarely, if ever, broke and even if they did break doing so wouldn't be considered a safety issue. The hinges usually broke during braking or pushing in the clutch.

rvrtrash

OK, I have to tell a "funny" story. One time at band camp--no not that one.
I was driving my '72 Mach 1, picking up speed rapidly, and the seat adjuster broke. The seat slid all the way to the rear, the seat belt retracted and I couldn't reach any of the pedals. I was hanging on to the wheel with one hand, trying to undo the belt with the other-at speed-and hoping I could slide forward before I hit something. It's not a bad idea on these older cars, especially if you're doing a restoration, to look closely at the seat adjuster mechanisms and locks.

Steve

gt bandit

Steve - A great story highlighting a potential major danger.

Please Post the video of your facial expressions so we can all get a good dose of Sunday laughs before Mondays return to work.

P

PNewitt

Actually, there is a RH side as well as a LH side. I've got both part numbers in my 1996 book.

Yes, I would like to see (and get photos of) one of these installed.

I bet that at least one Mustang parts dealer has a bunch of these stashed somewhere. It's not exactly a catalog item.

I'll check around.

thanks--

Paul N.

Band Camp, huh? Do tell more....LOL!!