• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS 289 rear crankshaft seal

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

Looks like I need to replace the rear main (crankshaft) seal on our 289, 2bbl.

NAPA shows two seals, a "rope" type and a synthetic rubber seal.

Is it possible to remove the oil pan, then remove the last main bearing cap & remove & replace the rear seal? This method would certainly be preferred, so I wouldn't have to remove the engine & tear it down.

And which seal would be the proper one to use - the rope or the syn rubber?

I would appreciate any information, help, or advise you can offer.

Thanks, Dave

rvrtrash

I remember a looooong time ago hearing of a tool to pull the rope seal through, but never saw it done. Rob, your turn.

Steve

robert campbell

Tool is called a "sneaky pete". Do not use a rope seal. I would loosen all the main caps and then of course remove the rear main cap to gain access.

Even with a "sneaky pete" this is one pain in butt job. I like to inset the seal a bit on one side so the gap in the seal is not even with the rear main cap block surface. About 1/4 inch. The have the matching seal inset on the main cap. Clean it up of all oil an put a small dab of RTV on the seal where they mate. tighten up and let sit over nigh before you finish and run it.

Here is a link to the tool and if you type in "sneaky pete" there are you tubes as Scott said.

http://www.plccenter.com/Shop/KD TO...ogleShopping&gclid=CKP-iLfylroCFdBxQgod7msAEw

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

THANKS for the replies - I appreciate your help.

Have fun, Dave