• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Modest Dream Garage

robert campbell

Ok,
My priorities have altered a bit for this winter. I retire March 2 of next year, but hope to go to work for a couple years to better set Val and I for retirement. One part of that is a garage for Rob!! Had thought about moving as my lot is not great for this, but I think I can make it fit. My dream garage is a bit more modest than Jay Leno’s for sure.

It will be 24 feet wide and 30 feet deep. Two stalls and 14 foot walls. Yes, Rob wants a car lift. 4 post “bend-pak” with all the accessories. Fully insulated and sheet rocked. Not sure on the heat source yet. Two 9 foot wide by 8 foot high insulated doors. Gives a good solid 10 feet in front of both stalls for a work bench, tools and other stuff. Want to build a loft over the forward work area for storage of, well,.......stuff.

This will give us storage for 5 cars with our attached garage and finally Val will not have to breath every poof can or car I start up. My current shop is under our living area. Amy got to see it. Can fit two cars, but then it is way to crowded for tools and stuff.

I plan to convert my old shop into a huge hobby room for my patient and lovely wife!! We both get what we want!

So if anyone of you have suggestions on things you have learned over the years, please share them with me! One thing I have learned is to position the lighting to work when a hood is open and of course a whole bunch over the work bench for my old eyes.

Please help me build my garage!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

It was 18 degrees up here last weekend. dug holes for additions to my septic tank drain field as new garage will intrude onto it...... Not alot of fun....

rob

rvrtrash

If you want ideas, you need to come visit me (or at least email me).

Steve

Attachments

• collection.jpg
    collection.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 87
  • collection2.jpg
    collection2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 92

Ruppstang

Rob the #1 suggestion I would offer is radiant heat in the floor. Since we spend so much time on or near the floor and with the 14' wall you don't want all the heat up there. Also lots of electrical and air outlets. A small vented spray booth would be great, no over spray on every thing. Good luck Rob
Steve I like your shop and the car collection! May be we should start a thread and have everyone post their garages and cars. That would be fun to see. Marty

JohnnyQuest515

I have one on paper, 4 post lift the works....not sure when if ever I will build but its my DREAM!

As mentioned plenty of outlets and don't forget the 240 volt for a welder or an appliance. Many people use old ranges to powder coat parts, it that's your thing. I was thinking of a mini-split HVAC but since you are up in WA you need to worry more about heat.

Keep us updated, Randy

66hcs-conv

I understand you are talking about 14 foot walls, BUT be careful how the overhead doors are placed. Be sure there is enough room above the car on the lift for the door(s) to open fully.

Have Fun ! Dave

hcsstang

I agree with Marty radiant heat is the way to go. I put up a block building 28-36. Concrete floor and that is hard on the limbs after a couole of hours. I have a wall in the center with a wood shop on one side and the cars on the other side.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The doors are special made insulated steel to go all the way up the front wall to preserve the height. Radiant floor heat is a thought, but Rob hopes to spend far less time on the floor if he has a lift! The lift may double as storage at times, but may even consider 2 lifts! But that kinda screws up both bays. Plan on 220/240 for welding and lots of 110 outlets.

Other than radiant floor heat, I have natural gas (to much chili) at the site. I want heat that I can keep low and then bring up to 55/60 fairly quick. Say ½ hour or so. Also have thought about a pellet stove, but they require care and feeding.

Work bench and shelf ideas? Gosh, a black and white checkered floor? A small “dirty room” for a bench grinder and glass beader is a must. Anyone have a novel way? Heavy duty shower curtain?

Steve, will you adopt me please!!!! I work for a nickel an hour! Love the water!! Slow water that does not spill my beer!!

I am hoping people will post pics of their garages! Especially, the inside and work bench areas. My shop is ugly…..

Rob

nfrntau

On top of the former recommendations, I would also recommend you install a sink with H&C water. I have one in my garage and it really comes in handy.

Powell

Rob, My suggestion is to have a bath in the garage, at least a toilet and sink. Can't tell you how many garages and shops I have helped plan and after much pleading the client decided against the bath. ALWAYS wishing later they had listened.
Ralph

Mosesatm

Make sure you have specific places designated for all your large items so they don't take up much usable space scattered throughout the shop. Air compressor, welder, floor jack, engine hoist, shop vac, wheels & tires, used parts, etc.

di81977

Congrats on retirement! Pretty exciting. You need to find lots of projects to keep you busy....before your wife does!

I also recommend radiant heat in the garage. Turns your place into the perfect getaway for winter poker night. Heated garage and you can smoke cigars without smelling the house up!

Here are some additional suggestions....

http://www.luxury4play.com/automoti...arage-picture-thread-50-pics.html?source=9593

David

carezcs

Needless to say a good exhaust fan is a must to get rid of gas and welding fumes, etc. I have to set up a box fan under my garage door, sort of a pain on cold or rainy days. Wait! It never gets old and rainy in southern California. Ha Ha!
Bruce

rvrtrash

Sorry Rob, no more adoptions for now. I already have two biological sons, an "adopted" son and "adopted" daughter, 6 grandchildren, who knows how many "adopted" grandchildren and a psychotic cat. My Christmas budget is killing me. The nickel an hour sounds good though. I would second the radiant floor heat, although I like the way a 75KBTU gas furnace warms the air in a hurry. If I was doing it over, I'd consider both. One thing no one has mentioned yet is---figure how big you think you'll need and then double it!

Steve

Ruppstang

You can do a radiant floor and a forced air system that way you can add the AC if you wish. If you have any wood working plans a good vacumbe system is a must. I am working on a solar hot water system for my shop. Marty

GT/CS S Code

I wish ...!

Oh I wish I had that much room to work with! Our current house only has a single car garage ... which is FULL of one single car ... our 68 GT/CS!
When I park it I have to squeeze it along the right hand wall to a clearance of about 1" of the passenger side scoop to the shelving to leave enough room to SQUEEZE my not too small body out of the driver's door ...
:eek:
Our retirement house HAS to have a 3 car garage, or enough room to pour a concrete slab and install a good sized quanset hut.

Attachments

• 68 GT California Special 010.jpg
    68 GT California Special 010.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 69

aemoo28

This is exciting! A lift! I may have to come over more often to see how this plan is coming together. Val is a wonderful person, yes she is. Do you deserve her? Yes Uncle Rob you do, because you are just as kind hearted- (now running to the toilet to puke before this gets any more sappier.)
Retirement? You're hardly a day over 50! More time to work on projects yay!

I'm up for a drive. I can fit 5, and we'll all go to see Steve's garage and have lunch in the diner that features the CS on stage. Steve H, Rob & Val, Bill N & Tanner, Bret. Let's go!

Powell

Rob, you can save floor space used up by stairs to your loft by welding a set like mine.
I also have storage behind my tool panels. Never enough storage it seems.Those tall walls make a great place for family photo's.
Ralph

Attachments

• DSCN1203.JPG
    DSCN1203.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN1205.JPG
    DSCN1205.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN1206.JPG
    DSCN1206.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 70