• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Triple "B's" Garage

Mosesatm

I’ve heard that the best way to break in an engine is with burnouts. :wink:

hatchdog

Hey Rob, something about a guy wearing a Huskies shirt giving some love to a Cougar just warms my heart!!!:grin:

For those who are not local to the Northwest the Washington Huskies are the cross-state rivals of the Washington State Cougars. Go Cougs!!!!!:grin:

All Husky bashing aside, I sure enjoy your Triple B’s posts. I discovered this shorty after joining and have read it from the beginning. Thanks for the great information and the entertainment.

Mike

CougarCJ

For those who are not local to the Northwest the Washington Huskies are the cross-state rivals of the Washington State Cougars. Go Cougs!!!!!:grin:

Mike

You guys have cool animal mascots, here in Oregon we get a choice of a Duck or Beaver. Platypus anyone? LOL

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Part 3 of the engine start up. The Service Replacement List 4088 600 CFM Holley is now dialed in and running sweet. Had to perform the Technical Service Bulentin secondary discharge modification to dial her in that I did on Dan's, Eric's and Sheryl's 600 carbs on their 390's. That and some trial and error with the secondary stop screw and all is good now. Performed a cold start this morning, and it worked great with a nice fast idle and perfect choke sequence. Worked on a flat spot off idle today and chased a P/S leak and still fussing with the valve covers to get them sealed. Took her for a test drive today and all systems are go. I completely rebuilt the brake system to the calipers and rear wheel cylinders. New distribution block and rebuilt the proportioning valve. All new steel lines on the front. New steering box and P/S hoses. Fresh automatic, radiator, and engine detail. Will hook up the exhaust H pipe to the rear system on Monday and all is going great! Engines pulls very nicely. Still has the 4 pin trac lock with 3.91 gears and it is ready to go to the track. It will need lots sticker tires for the strip. I have a set of 275 60 R 15 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials that will cure that problem!! They are so sticky they do not spin!

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2Nx9WgLTE

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Back From A Long Sleep,
We are in the middle of a huge kitchen/living/dining room re-model! Going great!!

Below are pics of my latest restoration. Sorry not a GT/CS, but a 1969 Cougar Vert. XR7 package which means leather interior. 390 "S" Code engine and a 4 speed. This combination is a one in forty car in 1969. Not many Cougars ever came with a 4 speed. Fresh Viper Red paint with 428 Cobra Jet heads, exhaust manifolds and a mild cam. Motor is new and I installed a new clutch and pressure plate. All new LED lights and they are great. Finishing up the reassembly. I will own this car! It is a hoot to drive!

Rob

CougarCJ

Rob, that is a Power Vent aka flow-thru-ventilation car. A 1 year only option.

Ruppstang

Wow what a very special car. I love the opportunity to get to work on cool stuff like that. Be sure to post more pictures when you a finished.
Marty

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The 1969 Cougar XR7 390 4 speed is basically complete. Need to put on a cowl seal, washer nozzles, and the wiper arms. Runs like butter and is a hoot to drive. Check it out!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Hello from Triple B's garage,
Dan Jackson's (calsplc) has sold his GT/CS 390 4 speed, and purchased a 68 Shelby GT-350. He felt it was a bit "anemic" after his big block, so he opened up his wallet and we are on our way. Balanced 302 block with Trick flow 53 cc combustion chamber heads. Comp cams retrofit hydraulic roller cam. Full roller rockers and will be fitted with "tall" Cobra valve covers. Ford Powertrain Applications long tube headers and a mild stall TCI torque converter.

Should close to 11 to 1 compression ratio. With the 3.50 rear gears it should be a lot of fun. Engine compartment freshened up and it is a total rust free Tucson car. More later. Dan did the engine compartment so don't blame me for his roof storage area!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
I finally wrestled Sheryl’s carb for Gem her 1968 Big Block 390 automatic GT/CS to the ground. Had to get a thread repair kit for the needle and seat hole in the float bowl. Got that done and if anyone has a stripped float bowl, I can fix it.

Well, I performed a few tricks to get it better, but to no avail. It idled like crap and had a large flat spot off idle. Just like before even after the secondary idle discharge port enlargement from .022 to .028 in diameter per the Ford TSB bulletin. I could close down the idle screw on the driver side and kill the engine. The passenger side had no effect. I could tell that the driver side was compensating for the passenger side. Ok engine vacuum, but not steady and a noticeable miss on the right back of the engine. Crap!!

Back off for the 3rd time. Off with the front metering block. Cleaning and blowing out all passages yet again. All seemed clear and was about ready to remove the soft plugs and disassemble the emulsion tubes from the metering block which I have never had to do before.

Started to inspect the transfer slots and the idle discharge port in the throttle plate assembly. Got out the magnifying glass and low and behold. This 1968 era Holley has a second set of idle mixture screws and someone had completely closed down the passenger idle discharge port by running the air mixture screw in and bottomed. I have sent this to the Holley tech line and they have never seen this before. Of course it is a tiny screw and stuck from sitting all these years. Out with the blow torch and the Kroil and with some patience I got it unstuck and screwed it out to the same depth as the driver side.

Below are some pictures of this secondary port on these old Holley’s. I would like Dan and Eric to see if they can take a picture of their throttle plate to see if they are there also on their carbs. I bet they are and I learned yet another idiosyncrasy of these carbs.

Sheryl’s carb runs like butter now!! Check out the link and hear it run!!

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbgc6q5XZ-Q

Just finished tuning a Holley List 3795 for a 1968 390 with a manual tranny. Same air mixture screws as the ones on Sheryl's List 3769. Carb ran like crap and after a long battle got the two mixture screws out and reset. Totally changes the way the carb idles and its low rpm characteristics. Wonder how many people are driving around 1968 390's that run like crap? This carb was altered by Holley to try to reduce emissions. They "leaned" up the idle circuit so much to reduce the emissions that they affected the carbs performance. The trick is to dig these screws out. It is very hard!!

Rob

Yet another vid of the work. I misspoke and called it a 3695 instead of a 3795. Opps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9GQZ3TsTE

CougarCJ

The Ford numbered Holley carburetors, have Ford proprietary changes engineered into the design. Found this out years ago from Holley, when I was looking for rebuild kits specifically for the Ford Holley List Numbers.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The Ford numbered Holley carburetors, have Ford proprietary changes engineered into the design. Found this out years ago from Holley, when I was looking for rebuild kits specifically for the Ford Holley List Numbers.

Yup, very bad emission control changes in 1968! The rebuild kits are the same from my experience. The early 68 carbs run very poorly and they dropped these changes soon there after. I wonder if most of the carbs with these extra air mixture screws were destined for California?

Rob