• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 Windshield Mirror Survey.

P

PNewitt

Just when you thought we'd had all the production changes figured out and nailed down....

Then Bob Teets of the HCS Registry tossed this one at me.(yeah, thanks, Bob!! LOL!!)

There are two types of interior windshield mirrors.

--One has the night vision handle that moves left to right (a lever with a small end that you kinda rotate around to one side or the other).

--The other type has the night vision handle that moves forward or backward (a square tab in the lower center of the mirror).

Now...this is what I need you to do. I only want original mirrors here (or as best as you can figure).

Tell me the type of mirror you have, and then your last six digits of your VIN (like 156904), and the production date on your door tag (like April 16).

What we're going to do is narrow down the numbers to find the closest date change for these mirrors. It's kinda like a game.

Remember--we only need original mirrors..or those that look original to the best of your recollection.

Then...we send this info to MCA, and it might make it into the rules. Neat, huh?? We did it with the rear reflectors, and the 302 "C" code block sneak, and the pads on the interior dissappearing. Now the mirror.

We also need to know what the Ford Service mirror was like...perhaps in 1969.

Thanks!! Paul N.

murf104

Paul, the mirror in my car is the original, and the handle moves from left to right. The cover is red to match the interior, by the way. The VIN is as follows: 8R01J155374 , Scheduled build date: 04D .

admin

Staff member
Administrator
My '68 HCS has the side moving lever. VIN 70384

I'm 99% sure it's original. Pics below.

Attachments

• HCS mirror 024.JPG
    HCS mirror 024.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 10
  • HCS mirror 026.JPG
    HCS mirror 026.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 13

68gt390

Mine is also the same - moves side to side and is original to my car (red to match my interior). VIN: 8R01S156979

Don

Attachments

• Mirrior - Turn Signal Clip 002.jpg
    Mirrior - Turn Signal Clip 002.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Mirrior - Turn Signal Clip 004.jpg
    Mirrior - Turn Signal Clip 004.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 11

J_Speegle

From the picture database (of course this is not a Cal Spec specific detail so not all cars listed are Cal Specs ;)

Arm style
8R01C127139
8R01T156985
8R01C158942
8R02R167885

Rocker Style
8R02S107773

Knob Style
8R01C143031

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

First, thanks to those who have gone to the trouble to take and send photos. I wasn't aware of the different colors of mirrors, too. An interesting note to be aware of for future concours detailing.

Thanks, Jeff for the info. Very interesting. I'm wondering if we can draw any production trends here, or if it's a matter of suppliers that were switched here and there.....(are we looking at more than one OEM supplier?)

Let's see how this pans out. I'd like to see where this goes. I first thought we'd stop at the 155+ numbers for one style, but it looks like we might be looking at batches of all three (now) here and there.

Oh! The life of a concours judge, huh Jeff???

thanks again!
Paul.

rvrtrash

Mine has the lever, 162112, red to match the interior.

Steve

aemoo28

I don't remember what my mirror looks like...

So if I change it to one that tells me north/south, or the temp outside, I'm gonna be docked points?

HappyHour

Amy I think they will make an exception in your case if you get one with the "OnStar" considering your track record. :grin:

green56

my 68 gt/cs mirror is black and the lever goes back and forth vin 0087