• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Oil and Fuel Usage

Perkchiro

I'm curious about the type of oil and fuels consumed by CS owners. Synthetic versus single and multi viscosities. What octane level fuel do you use? I currently burn 91 octane and use Castrol 10/30. I'd like some opinions on what some of you use and why.

Steve

Mustanglvr

89 octane which is 2.98 a gallon right now and 10w-30.
What are gas prices in other states?

Mustanger

All my 'Stangs, past and present, were tuned up for premium (91+ octane), and since the motors are hopped up, I like 20-50W syth blend (some benefit of syth but at a lower cost), preferrably Castrol or Valvoline ...

Midnight Special

...I use 15/50 Mobile 1 synthetic and burn Chevron Premuim on all the stangs. If your motor is new - make sure you put around 2000 miles on it to seat the rings before going synthetic...

Sarge

Premium gas (91+) only, 10/40 oil with a Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. Car doesn't have A/C so sits for several months in the summer here in Sacramento.

Robert

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

I've been seeing Royal Purple motor oll advertised. Anyone using this product and if so, what are the supposed advantages. Thanks for the heads-up Tim and David on the break-in period for synthetic oil use. Didn't have a clue that was a requirement.

Steve

Midnight Special

Perkchiro said:
Thanks for the heads-up Tim and David on the break-in period for synthetic oil use. Didn't have a clue that was a requirement.

...Yeah - 'hear-tell it's not a big deal w/ todays new engines, but our older ones need appropriate "break-in" time to seat piston rings et-al. David is probably more correct in allowing 10K miles. My friend who works in an automotive machine shop stated they've actually had to disassem & re-machine fresh rebuilds b/c people started out w/ synthetic and oil consumption resulted from the lubrication being too good for seating... At the same time - they say not to switch an engine w/ 100,000 to 150,000 miles to synthetic because it will seep & leak out thru the older seals.

My brother turned me on to it with proof of his 1979 Mercedes going 300,000+ miles needing only an ocassional battery replacment. I noticed particularly that my CJ engine performed better and ran cooler...

davidathans

The mechanics at B&D Racing in Canoga Park built my 347 and they knew from years of experience working with ford small blocks, that i should go 10000 miles before switching to synthetic, at least that is what they said and it is what i have done and im happy with the results.

For The guys with big blocks...

Just curious...How many quarts of oil do you put in at each change?

P

PNewitt

I got 217,000 miles out of an engine (original, factory 302) by using Castrol 10w/30, then 10w/40. I swear by Castrol, in fact Shelby once endorsed it.

I always used Chevron Regular. Had a Holley 600, and Cobra Intake from a '67 Shelby. I always thought running premium was overkill, unless you were doing steep hills with a car load of people.

I had a friend who would run aviation fuel in his '70 Mach, 351 Cleveland. It ran OK, but smelled awful out the pipe!

Paul N.

p.s. David--your photos show a lift on the front end of your CS during the drags. Is that from the torque-shift, or from aerodynamics? If you lowered the front an inch, and added a small front spoiler--could you get a second or more off your time? and!! DO you feel the rear spoiler push down at 110? Maybe that's what's lifting the front? Your car is the R&D vehicle for GT/CS aerodynamics!!!

Little Red had the same "front end lift" problem when it hit 110.

davidathans

hey Paul,

Driving the car with 10psi or less in the slicks really affects the way the car handles at the top end from right when you shift 2nd to 3rd..sometimes it can get a little hairy...

i let my friend make a pass in the mustang and he said he had to back off the throttle because he was scared he would lose it..he ran 13.50 at 100mph...

i dont really notice if the spoiler is what is lifting the front, i dont even really notice the front lifting once im out of 1st...right at the start it feels like it wants to lift because of the Cal-tracs bars and the carrera 90-10 front shocks with softer V6 mustang stock springs...and i had to cut 1" off the springs to make the front sit lower...its tuckin pretty close now i dont think i would cut anymore.

I have not looked into adding a front spoiler or making any aerodynamic modifications to the car YET :) I think when aerodynamics really make a difference is when your going 10s and slower...so i dont think it would drop a whole second off my time, but the only real way to tell is to try it and compare E.T.s and speeds you never know!

Im pretty satisfied here at 12.498 at 109.79mph...i would still like to run it during the winter on a cold night and advance the timing with the 101 octane fuel to see if i can hit 110mph and break my dad's fastest time of 12.47 at 110.42mph (that was in his 67 firebird 400 ram air in the Superstock class at Irwindale Raceway on 07-08-1967...at that time the Nat'l record in SS/DA was 12.50...so he was doing really well.

He raced a gto earlier in that year at the Pomona Winternationals on Feb. 4, 1967...the fastest he went that day was 13.06 at 108.56mph..

I have a little box full of all his timeslips for the firebird and gto...maybe the next time at the track i can surpass his best.

390cs68rcode

davidathans said:
im paying $3.35 for 91 octane Chevron in CA...i run Redline Synthetic 10-30 which is $9 a quart, 8 quarts for me...$100 oil changes :)

I can only imagine what oil changes are gonna cost me in my new yellow car. :wink:

Midnight Special

PNewitt said:
I got 217,000 miles out of an engine (original, factory 302) by using Castrol 10w/30, then 10w/40. I swear by Castrol, in fact Shelby once endorsed it.

I always used Chevron Regular. Had a Holley 600, and Cobra Intake from a '67 Shelby. I always thought running premium was overkill, unless you were doing steep hills with a car load of people.

I had a friend who would run aviation fuel in his '70 Mach, 351 Cleveland. It ran OK, but smelled awful out the pipe!

Paul N.

...Reguarding oil types - they'll all work depending on the type of driving you do & so long as you keep it clean & changed regularly. Re: octane - you can tune a car to run on "regular" w/o pinging if all you're doing is driving around town. I used avgas in my 351 & 390 when my friends & I went racing on weekends and did notice the difference. My 351 also lasted 221,000 miles on several different oil types (during '70s & 80s) because I changed it regularly.

In addition to better lubrication, today's synthetics will sustain higher temperatures before breaking down chemically. ...'Peace of mind as both of my big blocks run on the "hot" side...

P.S. David - I sent your picture yesterday. Did you receive it?

Last edited:

Mosesatm

390cs68rcode said:
I can only imagine what oil changes are gonna cost me in my new yellow car. :wink:

I can only imagine what insurance is going to cost you for your new yellow car.

390cs68rcode

Mosesatm said:
I can only imagine what insurance is going to cost you for your new yellow car.

$175 a month.

I had to up the coverage on all my cars to $200k. Once the car is worth more than 100k you have to up the coverage to 200k on all your cars. My agent said it probably costs me an extra $10 a month for all my cars to have this coverage.

Diesel Donna

Mustanglvr said:
89 octane which is 2.98 a gallon right now and 10w-30.
What are gas prices in other states?

Rhonda, check out www.gasbuddy.com . It is quite accurate and I just went cross country. Interesting to check out the temperature map, a nationwide color coded map.