• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Octane ratings

gt bandit

hello all

can anyone tell me what the Unleaded fuel octane ratings are in the USA.

We have 98,94 & 92 available in OZ .

Also can you really tell the difference between 98 & 94 when your just cruising , particularly like to hear from the any crew who are running lumpy cams.

By the way Just so you USA guys and gals know how well off you all are , price of gas in my country has just reached $ 3.54 usd per gallon!! :cry:

Anyone got a recipe for home made Gas , second thoughts don't send it I don't need any Federal Govt action on my doorstep. :eek:

case12

I believe it can be different in various states, and even at various gas stations. Typcial may be 87, 89 and 92 octane. There is one gas station that sells a very high octane fuel in town here (I think it is 100). There is a lot of ethanol mixes in the midwest states (I believe that is a corn mixture). Casey

68gt390

I've run a little Cam 2 racing fuel through mine a few times. Man I love the smell of that stuff. Reminds me of being out at the track. It bumps the octane up to around 104 to 106. But, at almost $6.00 a gallon it's pretty steep. What a lot of the pro-street guys do is mix it with 93 octane.

gt bandit - I bet by this summer we'll be right there with you on price if not very close. I remember last year when Katrina hit the gas prices went nuts.

Don

rvrtrash

Redwingrobb said:
Y'all normally run a 92 Octane?

92 for me. I'm running 10:1 compression with a bit of cam (read 14 deg.
initial advance) and would rather spend a little more per gallon than take a chance of putting a pressure relief hole in the center of my hypereutetic piston.
Steve

BroadwayBlue

I usually run 93 Octane ... once in awhile I catch a Sunoco station with 94 ... there are a few places with 100+ (CAM2 Racing I think it's called) but none are local to me anymore.

Anyone use a Booster in their tank?

Mustanglvr

We have an ethonol plant about 20 miles from us called the Minnesota Corn Processors plant in Marshall Minnesota. Man, the smells that comes from that place are enough to make you lose your lunch.

PB GT/CS

Shaun, As I remeber, Octane ratings are not measured the same in all countries. Gas we burn in our cars is not pure Octane. It is a mixture of many things and I am not certain those octane measurements are the same here as in Aust. As I remember it, Octane ratings and the need for Octane is mostly driven by Compression Ratio and timing. Lower Octanes detonate earlier than higher octanes. That is why lower octanes give us that terrible Nock and Ping. Thus the comment from Steve on increasing the timing. The new computor controled cars can take a wider range of octanes as they will measure the input Fuel air and compare that to the exhust fuel air. If that gets out of whack, the computer adjusts the timing and thus protects the engine from pre detonation. So, it is Compression ratio and Timing that determines the need for octane, according to folks that I have been around.

Brian

PFSlim

Mustanglvr said:
We have an ethonol plant about 20 miles from us called the Minnesota Corn Processors plant in Marshall Minnesota. Man, the smells that comes from that place are enough to make you lose your lunch.

Not only that, but they are not that safe to be in as well. We have to have them and since I am a grain guy, appreciate the market they cover, but I will do what I can not to ever go back into one.

Ethanol plants are everywhere in IA, MO, IL, etc. Where ever corn can be grown, an ethanol plant is not far away.

Paul