• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

?How do you remove a taillight

bbeatty

?How do you remove a taillight

I've been chasing some electrical gremlins around my GT/CS and I think I finally have the little buggers cornered in one of the taillights. Now I want to remove the light assembly for some inspection and repair work.

The only problem is I'm not sure how to take the light assembly out of the car. Someone please tell me I don't have to remove the bumper and entire fiberglass taillight panel to remove the taillight! I have the bezel and lens out and it looks like the whole panel has to be next. Thanks for any help or advice! ;D

Re: ?How do you remove a taillight

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, the whole thing has to come off--even the license plate light, off the bumper.

First the bumper (and bumper guards), then the fiberglass panel (take off all those phillips screws) come off. The potmetal taillight reflector housings are attached to the panel. You'll noticea lot of old dust and crud when you pull this part off. Time to do a thorough cleaning.

When servicing this part, remember that the housings are the ground for the lights (look for that little ground wire), and that the bulb sockets (three on each housing) that fit into the housing, have to make good, tight contact to make that ground work well.

Some people have added ground wires to that spot--on the sockets. I used a Dremel tool to grind out the oxidation and "crud", but not too much to compromise the tight fit.

My 1996 Registry (still available) has this all outlined in great detail. Many GT/CS cars have this problem--and I worry about delayed, or non-functional taillights/brakelights from this problem.

Everyone should do this for safety's sake.

Paul.