• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Another oddity

Cool Manchu

A while back my roof liner fell apart so I ended up removing it. My car never had a dome light inside and I noticed it had brackets for an overhead console, yet there is no mention of this on my Marti report. I can imagine that the hood liner was replaced at one point and the upper console was removed at that time. I am just guessing...but the holes to screw in the dome light are still covered in the original paint and show no sign of ever being used...

I can add this to the growing list of "why in the hell does my car have these things?"

Another example is the metal grilles on my lower door panels. I don't have the deluxe interior or and AM/FM 8-Track or anything else that would warrant why they were on there.

I do know that my car did have 16 options listed on the Marti and it also was the showroom floor model when it was bought from Holiday Ford in Sunnyvale CA (Now just Sunnyvale Ford).

Anyway, just though I would share...

stangfan

Is it possible, as the car was used for display, that it was "tarted up" for that purpose and maybe things were done that do not appear on the Ford records?

robert campbell

I have not paid attention to a dome light car with the head liner out, but my guess us that all Mustangs coming down the line would have had the necessary brackets for the upper console. As they cam down the line the decision for the deluxe interior would be made for the car at that point, so the "basic" spot welded brackets would be available for use.

As for the door grills, they could have been added by the dealer or by an owner that wanted the look. I converted two 1968 Mustangs in my area to have the door grills, lights, and deluxe door panels.

Rob

OP
OP
Cool Manchu

Cool Manchu

I don't know if all 68 Mustangs came with that special bracket, but I think you would have a better knowledge than I. :)

I have wondered if my car, being for a local dealer and that it was for the showroom may have had a change during production from a full deluxe interior car to a partial deluxe interior car. I still have the deluxe steering wheel (just had it fully redone and put in today!), deluxe seat belts, a console, a clock, tinted windows, etc. etc.

For the door jambs, the original owner bought the car and they were already on it, so either it was the change in production or as Steve pointed out, a dealer spruce up.

I'll have to ask the original owner if he ever changed the headliner or if it had a dome light or an upper console and get to the bottom of it.

I went ahead and put in a dome light, because not having one sucked!

Ruppstang

All cars did not have the upper console brackets. It could have been a mistake on the assembly line but most likely most of it was dealer installed equipment.

CaliStang68

I also do not have a dome light and the headliner seems original. I can feel where the dome light should be some its some of sort of bracket. What's the best way to add a dome light? Remove headliner or cut a small hole?
Rick

Ruppstang

I also do not have a dome light and the headliner seems original. I can feel where the dome light should be some its some of sort of bracket. What's the best way to add a dome light? Remove headliner or cut a small hole?
Rick

I would cut a small hole where the dome light would be. Then look in and see if the light reflector, socket and wiring are there.
If they are not you will have to remove most of the headliner to install the wiring. FYI to install a headliner correctly you need to remove the windshield and back glass. I have a light socket and wiring if you need them.
Marty

franklinair

Here's a photo of an original headliner & dome light fixture. Perhaps you can feel the outline of the fixture and then cut out a circle where its located. If so, there should then be enough looseness in the headliner to feel around to see if its wired. Hope this helps.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 26