• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 17 Inch Wheel Measurements

BigJim

I am thinking about replacing the 14 inch wheels on our 68. I've been thinking about going with low profile 17's. Has anyone gone this route? Can you post some pics? Also what are the rim measurements if I go with 17 inch rims?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Ruppstang

I think that is too big of a rim on a older car. The ride on a older car was not only determined by the suspension but also the side wall of the tires. New car suspension is much more capable of smoothing the ride with the low profile tires.
If you are going to track the car and have no concern about the ride it will work.
Marty

robert campbell

+1 to Marty! I would never go over 15 inch myself because I am an old geezer. There are some 16 inch selections that could work. Any tire over 25 inches in diameter starts trouble with the fender openings unless you jack it up like a 4 x 4!

Personally I like a lowered look that has tires that work in the wheel wheels and not rub.

robert campbell

Great articles. Again, as Marty said, I think the lower profile tires will hurt the ride. But if that is not a concern these articles show you some bigger wheel possibilities. All about the backspacing and the diameter of the tire.

Rob

Ruppstang

Man Rob your black car looks like a beast just sitting there waiting for a unsuspecting Chevy!

Toy68CS

Mine came with 17" Shelby Cobras with 225/45R17's. Not sure of the width or offset. Not a big fan of the rims but I think size works fine and they do ride a little rough. I am going to try the bullitt rims from my 94 GT with 245/45R17's. If the tires aren't too wide I think it will look a lot better and benefit from the larger side wall.

2106.jpg

2113.jpg

Last edited:

harryz

Does anyone know if the "shelby mod" (lowering the upper a-arm mounting point) makes a difference with wheel / tire sizing?

Harry Z

rvrtrash

As long as you maintain the same outside tire diameter, which means less and less sidewall diameter as you increase wheel diameter, you should be fine. Changing the offset or tire width may cause rubbing with any wheel tire combo on the fender or frame rail, depending on which way you change it. Same problem if you increase the outside tire diameter.

Steve