• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

CARB IDENT, help required

gtcs1

Hi,

I sent my carb to Pony Carb for a concours rebuild. I got a call from them today for an estimate.

They told me my carb wasn't the original; big disspointment for me. The carb is a 2100 Autolite with an ID tag that says C8ZF G with C 8A 2. They say the tag is wrong for my car. My car is a V8 289 2V Auto trans. Also there is a date underneath the main body casted in 7-67, is this period correct, with such an early date for an April 1968 car build date?

They tell me this carb is for a manual trans car and has the incorrect tag ID.

My car is all original, so I'm a bit surprised about this. With 58,000 miles, I'm bit surprised someone would have changed the carb?

Anyone expert on carb Tag ID to tell me if statement seems correct. If it is the wrong carb, what about the fact this is for the wrong transmission, what's the difference? I don't want to second guess PonyCarb, but the fact I thought I had the original carb makes me wonder.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

CougarCJ

I have a copy of the Ford Carburetor Guide written and printed by Pony Carburetors.
C8ZF-G is correct for an automatic.
C 8A 2 date is 2nd day January, 1968.

It is highly possible that the base has a different number if it was ever sent out for a rebuild. Most often, carburetors were exchanged, someone may have had the foresite to keep the tag and put it onto the 'replacement' carburetor to keep the car original.

FYI C8AF-AK is for the manual transmissions.

It is very common in the rebuilding shops to pull parts from the bins for reassembly. They have many carb bodies and tops, floats, screws, valves, metering rods, etc. Everything gets mixed up and reassembled for what is needed for orders. Your manual transmission numbered base most likely has the automatic kickdown linkage.
Ask Pony Carburetors to renumber your base. I have heard that they have more rare carburetors coming out of their shop than they receive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gtcs1

Call them back.
They made a mistake.
I have a copy of the Ford Carburetor Guide written and printed by Pony Carburetors.
C8ZF-G is correct for an automatic.
C 8A 2 date is 2nd day January, 1968.

Likely the original carburetor, expecially if the tag is still affixed to the top.

Between Cougars and Mustangs there would have been 214,420 C8ZF-G carburetors made for 1968. @17,800 per month, I would not be surprised if the inventories were not rotated FIFO, in any of the 3 plants. (first in, first out)

FYI C8AF-AK is for the manual transmissions.

What about the casting date on mine 7-67. That's as long period. Could it be someone changed it during its life, used a 67 carb and reinstalled the original tag?

What is the difference beteween a manual and auto trans carb, so I can check pictures I took of mine and really say which one it is?

Thanks

CougarCJ

What about the casting date on mine 7-67. That's as long period. Could it be someone changed it during its life, used a 67 carb and reinstalled the original tag?

What is the difference beteween a manual and auto trans carb, so I can check pictures I took of mine and really say which one it is?

Thanks

Hold on, I had to edit. While rereading your original post, I realized that I made an error. Tag is right, carb is wrong. Duh!

I was eluding to the fact that the parts are mixed up in those carburetor rebuild mills and the assemblers use what is handy or on top of the core piles.
One original carburetor's parts could be mixed onto 20-30 different carburetors.

Your base is from either a very late 1967, or early 1968 carburetor.
Very common to have carburetors with mismatched parts after nearly 40 years.

CougarCJ

Thanks

As far as I know, the difference lies with the linkage.

Automatics would have the provision for the transmission rod?

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

Hold on, I had to edit. While rereading your original post, I realized that I made an error. Tag is right, carb is wrong. Duh!

I was eluding to the fact that the parts are mixed up in those carburetor rebuild mills and the assemblers use what is handy or on top of the core piles.
One original carburetor's parts could be mixed onto 20-30 different carburetors.

Your base is from either a very late 1967, or early 1968 carburetor.
Very common to have carburetors with mismatched parts after nearly 40 years.

Are you saying then that the casting date would be wrong. About the carb tag, would it be wrong or good (date wise, model, and trans)? Per your original responses if I understand right, it would be Ok
Thanks

Last edited: