• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Power steering question?

GT/CS S Code

At some point in its past our '68 CS had its power steering removed and we're in the process of replacing it right now. I bought a complete set of newly rebuilt power steering components, including a rebuilt ps box last year, but there wasn't a pitman arm included in the set. Does anyone happen to know if they used a different length pitman arm on the power steering setup on these Mustangs? Would it be any different on our big block (390) application? Or do you know what the length of the proper pitman arm would be, and then we can measure the existing one to see if it needs to be replaced or not ...
Thanks,
Al

robert campbell

Power Steering pitman arm has a tapered hole in it for the tapered stud in the control valve to bolt into.

Manual pitman arm has a tapered stud in it that mates to a tapered hole in the drag link.

You will need a ps pitman arm. The end that goes to the steering box is either a 1inch or 1 and 1/8 inch splined hole. In 1968 they were almost all 1 and 1/8 inch.

No difference between big block and small block to my knowledge.

Rob

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Many thanks!

OK guys, that is great information, thanks a bunch! The current re and re work is progressing steadily, and I'll post some new photos as soon as it is all done ...
:smile:
PS: I did "bite the bullet" and ordered the bigger 22 gallon fuel tank and sender too, so that will be included in this current round of "re and re" work. It never ends, does it?
:rolleyes:

NosAvrenim

PS: I did "bite the bullet" and ordered the bigger 22 gallon fuel tank and sender too, so that will be included in this current round of "re and re" work. It never ends, does it?

Good choice on the 22 gallon tank!
Have thoroughly enjoyed the extended range it allows. Only thing I need to check out is that I can't fill the tank to "F" (the gauge won't go that far). I'll post more info in another thread -- don't want to hijack this one.

CougarCJ

Good choice on the 22 gallon tank!
Have thoroughly enjoyed the extended range it allows. Only thing I need to check out is that I can't fill the tank to "F" (the gauge won't go that far). I'll post more info in another thread -- don't want to hijack this one.

You might want to get a 1970 sending unit, it would have the proper float range for this taller tank.

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Sending unit ...

Yes, the magazine article on the tank swap did say that you need to use the 1970 sending unit to match the bigger 1970 tank, and we did order that sender to go along with the new tank. Once it's all installed and the car is back on the road I'll let you know how it worked out, and if the gauge reads as it should.
(I think we might have located a 68 power steering pitman arm through a local Mustang parts dealer too. He thinks he has one available, but we'll find out after he finishes looking through his current stock of used parts ...)

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Some success ...

Well, the local Mustang parts distributor did have a proper ps pitman arm, and he thinks he can resell my old standard pitman to another customer that needs it at close to the same price, so that has worked out well.
Unfortunately, we are now running into clearance problems with the currently installed headers on the big block engine. We might have to retro fit a set of factory cast iron headers to clear the ps, or can anyone suggest another set of headers that will give more clearance to the ps if it comes to that?
Sigh ... it never ends ...