• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Clone Registry?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Well, this is problem #492 with these cars' authenticity.

Although, I've NEVER seen or heard of anyone having a dealer-prep GT/CS. I'd have to see the actual Ford Dealer paperwork for the parts and for putting them on to accept something like that. As you know--anything is possible.

These cars didn't sell real well in '68., so, I can't see a dealer making one up. They'd tell a customer to forget the parts route--and buy the whole car!!

Paul N.

quicknick

I vote for keeping the book Cloneless! (I just invented that word)
The Header on this Homepage clearly states....." "Dedicated to the limited edition 68 GT/CS California Special and 66-68 High Country Special Mustangs".
It DOES NOT state....." GT/CS, HCS, and other cool cars that might be made to look like them"!
If we want our cars to be as recognizable and valueable as Shelby's, Bosses and other high profile Fords, we must keep it pure. I am still confused as to why there is a clone in our Gallery ???
Just my 2 cents. Feel free to beat on me all you want.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=quicknick link=board=1;threadid=1535;start=15#msg9225 date=1112449852]
I vote for keeping the book Cloneless! (I just invented that word)
The Header on this Homepage clearly states....." "Dedicated to the limited edition 68 GT/CS California Special and 66-68 High Country Special Mustangs".
It DOES NOT state....." GT/CS, HCS, and other cool cars that might be made to look like them"!
If we want our cars to be as recognizable and valueable as Shelby's, Bosses and other high profile Fords, we must keep it pure. I am still confused as to why there is a clone in our Gallery ???
Just my 2 cents. Feel free to beat on me all you want.
[/quote]

I agree on both counts.

Mosesatm

But wouldn't listing the clones, hopefully by
VIN, help members of this board and the public in general by alerting them to the fakes? If I were looking to buy a GT/CS (which I am) it would sure be nice to have one more resource I could check to see if the car in question may not be real. Take a look at all the cars for sale that we pick apart on this site. And to answer Rhonda's question from a while back. It would not be difficult to either fake a Marti report or switch data tags with a known but scrapped GT/CS and submit that VIN to Kevin.

I vote for the clones, if for no other reason than to keep the one I built from being passed off as genuine to some unsuspecting person. Geez, now I know how Dr. Frankenstein felt. Some poor person may get hurt because of my creation.

Talan423

i personally have no interest in clones. i don't want to write some big paragraph as to why and add fuel to any fire.
i vote for "cloneless"

nfrntau

Thanks
Used to be when I lived in California. Still have those plates.
Texas only allows 6 letters/numbers, so until they allow 7, I,m out of luck.

C160223

Add me to the list for "NO CLONES" !! Adding clones to the list will only add confusion to a car that some people still do not know they exist. Keep it simple and only have real (verified, <---adding fuel to the fire) GT/CS & HCS cars to the registry/list. The addition of 66 & 67 HCS cars to the book is also a great idea.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I thought this "clone listing thing" might let people "see" what is out there that has been created from other Mustang Coupes.

Although when I do the book, I still have the last say, but perhaps the thing to do...

.... is to have Jon (webmaster) post cars that have some sort of "un-authentication" as a GT/CS. My book and his (this) website would work in concert to do this (but that is up to Jon). The intent is not to slam people who like to modify their Mustang--but to let folks know--and go to this site --to see if it's on the list of CS clones?

Otherwise--everyone in the market is on their own--unless they get the owner to do a Marti report before buying it. I thought it would be like a "service" to everyone.

However--I do get that "pedigree" thinking with you all.

Paul N.

jc68gtcs

This won't go over big with many of you but I'll be honest, I bought my car for an investment and I'm only 99 percent sure that it's authentic. I ordered my marti but frankly I'm chomping at the bit waiting for the thing to come in the mail. It sure would've been nice to have had access to a registry from an accepted authority (Paul N. comes to mind), prior to purchasing. Not that I would've been smart enough to ask for such a thing, but that's not the point.

It's my opinion that we need to identify and authenticate the original cars and not exclude the ones that aren't but document them as to what they are.. "CLONES". By spotlighting originals in the featured part of the book and indentifying a clone in a separate section that's say.. in the back of the book (on pink pages - just kidding), I see no harm. As a matter of fact, I see value. At that point it is what it is and it's documented.

I still like Paul's idea of a checkbox for every major form of authentication, that way if someone who know's that they have an original but does not want to pay Marti, his car is still in the book but he doesn't have a check mark next to Marti, or Ford History Report. Known clones should go in the Known clones section. If there are clone owners that don't like that then maybe they do have ill intentions.. Sorry for the Novel.
jc68gtcs

68gt390

I've been following all the posts in regards to the "clones" and the new registery. Maybe I'm off base but, I always thought a "Registery" was to authenticate that which is "authentic". I know that in my 1968 GT 390 World Registery there is not a single "clone". I could care less as to the value or resale opportunity of my car since I didn't buy it for that purpose and I know it's Paul's option to do as he wishes with the "Registery" but, if it in fact is to be a true GT/CS registery then I say keep it clean and authentic. That's all I'm going to say about it. I think this thing has been dragged through the mud and back enough.

Don ::)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I have to express my appreciation at how everyone has helped me sort though this "clone" issue.

I think that by discussing this at length, it says less about the "clones" themselves, and MORE about how important it is to preserve just what we have. For the book, I'll now have the background and understanding of how to treat this. Instead of providing any VINs of the clones in the book, I'll focus on how to authenticate an original--without passing judgement on those who have modified Mustangs with Shelby and other performance parts. After all, that is what owning a Mustang is all about.

I am amazed and proud of how everyone has "inspired" me into this direction for the book. We have needed "definition" as a Mustang marque for a long time, and now we have it. In '68, Ford might have thought of it as a "dressed up" Mustang coupe with Shelby parts--but it has become much more than that.

Thanks for taking the time to think this out, and for providing the input necessary. You all have helped all of us perceive just what we have--and how to identify and appreciate it for many years to come.

Paul N.

hookedtrout

I'll try and be brief but I will add this, Pauls book in my opinion is so much more than a registry it is the in's the outs the ups the downs the who the why the when the where and so much more and it's targeted at us the owners to learn from and share.

A registry is a great idea for those interested and I think a registry, listing only authentic proven cars would be of value to a lot of owners or potential owners.

My suggestion would be for someone with the deep down desire to have one to create one. Put it on the internet for searchability or in book form if prefered. There is obviously quite a bit of desire for it.

I think as Paul has stated there is also a lot of responsibility or liability in the claims that something is real and authentic so I think I'd do a lot of research on the ins and outs of that before I just started dumping things on a list and posting upon someones word or photocopy of a Marti report.

Hook

nfrntau

Hook, you have brought up a very good point.
Me, I'm just an avid enthusiast that owns one of these cars. I think it's all cool. Like it or not, clones are out there. Some look terrible and some are really sweet. To include them in a book doesn't change or promote that.
I have been looking forward to Pauls new book. When it comes out I will be there with my hand in the air yelling I want one.
I have never even seen one of his first two books. As well as listing a registry, I have heard so many good things about his books. From how to, where to, who did, when, what.... well you get the point.
Paul has already told us there will be even more goodies in his next book. I don't know about the rest of you but I LIKE GOODIES!!
As the enthusiast, I would like as much info as possible on my car, others cars and my hobby (playing with my car). The more I can get from one reliable (read Paul) source the better.
Bill

jc68gtcs

I ordered my marti but frankly I'm chomping at the bit waiting for the thing to come in the mail.

Hooray, Marti and the FedEx guy have blessed me with an officially authenticated Mustang GT California Special that was born on April 17th, 1968.. Looks like we'll be celebrating her 37th anniversary in about 10 days.

68gt390

[quote author=jc68gtcs link=board=1;threadid=1535;start=30#msg9373 date=1112930550]
I ordered my marti but frankly I'm chomping at the bit waiting for the thing to come in the mail.

Hooray, Marti and the FedEx guy have blessed me with an officially authenticated Mustang GT California Special that was born on April 17th, 1968.. Looks like we'll be celebrating her 37th anniversary in about 10 days.

[/quote]

I sure hope your buying her something nice for her birthday. Our cars birthday is on the 16th of April. She's getting brand new gears and a traction loc.

Don ;D