• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Auto Console

LUVMYCS

Can any of you who have done this tell me how difficult it is to find and replace the parts needed to convert and automatic shift assembly without console to and automatic shift assembly for a console? I just want to know that besides drilling holes to secure the console and getting the longer knobs for the radio what other work and parts must I get to install a console in my car? Thank you to any of you that can provide some help and advise.

Perkchiro

If I can remember it correctly, you'll need the shift plate but this might come with the console unit you get. You'll need the console wiring harness and a radio bracket that houses the radio and serves as an anchor point for screws on the upper sides of the console. If you get this from a donor car, you might have it all together. If you're piecing a unit together, it might be more of a challenge. Anyone else have other suggestions?

Steve in Missouri

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

Oh yeah, I know I need the wiring harness and the radio bracket too. I am mainly concerned with what I need to replace on the shifter. A non-console shifter is different from a shifter with a console correct? What parts are interchangeable? Does anyone know if the handle is the same?

Perkchiro

I don't believe there's a difference in the shifter stalk between the two applications. The T-bar shift handle is leatherette covered on deluxe interiors. Other than that, I don't there's a difference.

Steve in Missouri

P

PNewitt

Hey there! :)

Here is the diagram for the 1968 Mustang and Cougar shifter assembly for use with the console.

It looks a little complicated, but it works like this: There (should be) is a little plate with a hole in it at the base of the shifter, hidden by the non-console plate. In this hole goes the "U" shaped rod (plastic) that moves the indicator, with the bulb attached--that shines light to one of the "P-R-N-D-D2-L" positions.

There is also a black plastic "slider" that hides the "innards" by moving with the shifter, in the console.

A word about installing the console--the part just under the radio will seem too low, when you want to attach the screws at the top of the radio. This is because there is not enough padding under the carpet in that area. Over time, and/or after a new carpet is installed, the thicker padding on the hump is not thick enough. So, lift up the carpet there, and add some more padding (but smooth it out).

Remember to wire in the rear light on the console, too. It's part of the (door open) courtesy light circuit, and (I think) there is a pigtail under the dash to hook up that wire.

Gosh, I may have not remembered everything. So...Good Luck!

Paul N.

Attachments

• autoshift.jpg
    autoshift.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 52

Perkchiro

Paul: It's no wonder that you're an accomplished writer. That describes my recent installation exactly. The black shifter plate is available as a repo. if anyone needs a replacement. I think there was a question about whether the chrome shift stalk is the same or different in console equipped versus non-console cars. I believe that they are the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve in Missouri

Mosesatm

Is there some extra hardware on the transmission hump for the console? The reason I ask is because my console fell apart when I removed it and I tried using a non-console shift bezel but I couldn't screw it down due to some steel plates sticking up from the shifter hole area of the hump.

P

PNewitt

Yes, you are right, Steve:

There are two different shift levers for the Automatic shifter in a ('67 &) '68 Mustang.

1. Non-Console type, Floor Shift, 67/68 Mustang, 6cyl and V-8, pt. # C7ZZ-7210-A

2. Console type, Floor Shift, 67/68 Mustang, 6cyl and V-8, pt. # C7ZZ-7210-C
(this type has the hole provided for the shifter rod, for the console).

I'm wondering if there is a way to modify a non-console shifter, with some sort of welded on (?) piece of metal to copy the console version (that wouldn't blue the chrome from the heat).

These part numbers are exclusive to Mustang (and Cougar), and won't fit Fairlane, Torino, etc. for those years.

I hope this helps.

Paul.

p.s thank you for the compliment.

P

PNewitt

but wait, there's more!

OK....to answer Arlie's question. I went to my big book (you should see me doing this, while trying to eat tortilla chips and dip--LOL!).

I thought "nah", but Arlie is absolutely right. The part he's asking about is called the "Housing--Transmission Console Shift selector". It's actually that "bucket--looking thing" that the shift lever bolts into.

Low and behold, there are two types: One for non-console (pt. no. C7ZZ-7A306-B), and one for consoles (C7ZZ-7A306-A)--for '67 and '68 Mustangs (and Cougars) only.

The difference is simple. The console version has these little, raised metal tabs for the plastic console shifter "slider" thingy to attach to. If you do not have a console type housing, I bet that one could drill a couple of holes, and install some small bolts with retainer nuts, to match up with the console slider. It's important to keep that slider in an "up" position to press against the underside of the console.

Does that make sense? (I just dropped my tortilla chips).

Good discussion--this may help many.

Paul N.

6t8-390gt

The shifter assembly is indeed different between console and non console cars. IMO it is best to buy the whole assembly as the housing (bucket) has the tabs for the plastic select indicator. The handle has the tab for the plastic adapter, and the indicator light is mounted differently.

The assembly is easily changed, only four bolts and a pin to remove, but ensure you rebuild the shifter before installing the console. The plastic bushing are available from Ford or Mustang vendors for a few bucks. You should be able to locate a how to article about rebuilding the shifter.

6t8-390gt

Yes, that is the shifter assembly you need. I haven't been watching the prices lately, but I would suspect b/t $75-$100 for it.

CalGal68

A word about installing the console--the part just under the radio will seem too low, when you want to attach the screws at the top of the radio. This is because there is not enough padding under the carpet in that area. Over time, and/or after a new carpet is installed, the thicker padding on the hump is not thick enough. So, lift up the carpet there, and add some more padding (but smooth it out).

Oh, if only I'd consulted you guys about 2 mos. ago! Now I have to get the energy and the nerve to pull that console out again so I can add some padding under the new carpet! Great tips, Paul.

Debra

P

PNewitt

I've been asked by "Luvmycs" to post a larger diagram, with the console AND non-console versions, side-by-side.

There are similar (Ford basic) part numbers for what may be a variation for each application. It would require a tedious process to check out every part, so if you look closely, you might get to see some differences.

I hope that this helps.

Good Luck!

Paul N.

Attachments

• auto.jpg
    auto.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 26
P

PNewitt

Well, I still think that a machine shop could make that console-unique piece for the base of the shifter, and braze/weld it on the part. If someone could provide a close-up photo of their console-type shifter (showing that hole for the plastic rod); it could be copied by a shop.

If someone owned/worked at a machine shop, or metal shop, it would make an interesting side business for Mustangers (on a trade basis).

Since this isn't a part seen on the car, I'm not too concerned about "authenticity" for this part.

Paul N.

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

My cousin works at a machine shop that makes custom parts for high-end race cars. He's very busy, but I will ask him what he thinks about fabricating the pieces I need.

A close-up picture of the shifter assembly would be helpful.