• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Concours on the Avenue, Carmel by the Sea

somethingspecial

Well, as many of you know, this is Pebble Beach Week, Car head Nirvana. Many things to do this week in Monterey and Carmel by the Sea, Ca. , but one of my favorites is Showing our S code GT/CS at the Prestigious Concours on the Ave. in Carmel by the Sea. We were lucky enough to be selected to compete in the ‘63 to ‘72 Muscle Car class competing against a ‘73 Plymouth Cuda, 1970 Plymouth Super Bird with only 21 K original miles, beautifully restored 1969 Mach 1 S code, Olds 442 convertible, SS 396 Chevelle convertible., 69 Camaro SS, and a ‘63 Plymouth altered wheel base drag car with a 426 Max Wedge, which I think was in the wrong class.
After getting the car in place we quickly looked over the competition and said to ourselves, “Well, at least it is a beautiful day to show the car, We don’t have a chance with this competition for an award”. The judging started promptly at 11:00 am and went for several hours. It was foggy when we placed the car and within an hour the marine layer headed back out to sea and the sun shown trough making every car on the field look alive.
Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar, American made Iron, just to name a few were represented. Alfa Romeo, Maseratti, Etc. and best yet, it is the only Concours d’Elegance I know of free to the public to spectate.
About 3 PM, a show official approached me and my wife and said “I would like to introduce you to a couple of people”. He presented The Mayor of Carmel by the Sea and The Director of the Concours, who intern presented my wife Robinette and I with the 1st in Class award. It took me a moment to realize the Mayor said 1st in Class. I could not believe my ears, with the competition we were up against I didn’t think we had a chance.
All day we were flanked by spectators commenting on the GT/CS and how beautiful it was, looking at the photograph in the window, (same as my avatar) and stepping back again to look at the car, not believing it WAS the same car.
We have won several 1st in Class awards at other Venues, but this one for some reason meant the most to my wife and I.
Let’s get those cars out there and show them, for those working on them, finish them up, but don’t take short cuts to do so, and show people what we have. Mike

Attachments

• carmel by the sea 2011 248.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 248.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 64
  • carmel by the sea 2011 247.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 247.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 61
  • carmel by the sea 2011 245.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 245.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 65
  • carmel by the sea 2011 238.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 238.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 86

Sarge

WAY TO GO MIKE!!! Yeah, competition is very tough at the Concourse, but that just shows how well you have restored your GT/CS!!! Congratulations doesn't begin to cover the accolades you should get, but I can't think of anything better!!!

Robert

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

more photos

beautiful cars

Attachments

• carmel by the sea 2011 241.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 241.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 62
  • carmel by the sea 2011 242.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 242.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 70
  • carmel by the sea 2011 243.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 243.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 65
  • carmel by the sea 2011 244.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 244.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Thanks Sarge, It is difficult to win at a Concours. As you can see, one judge took notice to the wet spot on the ground. The car was nervous with all the compitition and pittled. Actually I topped off the cooling system the night before and then sat idling in the staging area for over 45 minutes. Just a little over flow.

Attachments

• carmel by the sea 2011 233.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 233.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 79
  • carmel by the sea 2011 235.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 235.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 84
  • carmel by the sea 2011 236.jpg
    carmel by the sea 2011 236.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 88

franklinair

Two great people, with a beautiful car. Congratulations to Mike & Robinette!!

Neil

Ruppstang

A big congratuations to you Mike. I for one know what a award like that means. I also know how nice your car is. Marty

Northern Pony

Congratulations to both of you for winning with such a great car at such a prestigious show.
There is always one trophy that means more than the others, maybe this will be it.
BoB

J.Bart

WOW Mike,
way to go!
i guess Clint Eastwood isn't the mayor these days?

tell the family hi for me

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Thank you all for the kind words. Bart, Robinette said to me the day of the awards that if Clint Eastwood was still the Mayor, She would be the one accepting the award and I would have been behind the camara. LOL. Mike

rvrtrash

Congratulations on a huge, well deserved win! I would've been nervous of the competition as well. The winged mopars are the only ones I've really liked, and those are some nice pieces you were up against.

Steve