• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Carroll Shelby autograph

whodat

If you had the chance for Carroll Shelby to sign your dash would you?

shane18fly

I had the pleasure of buying a well preserved '68 GT/CS. One of the pleasant surprises was the autograph of Carroll Shelby on the car. I loved the idea of his sig on the car but don't know that I would want it on my dash. Rather, as what the previous owner did, have him sign the visor of the car on the back side. It is conspicuous but a nice surprise when you are showing it off. You can always "hide it" and when at car shows, pull the visor and move it to the side window for all to see...just an idea and thought..shane

green56

If i could i would have him sign the glove door 2years he was at the Wisconsin Eaa and he was going to come and sign our cars but he got sick so we did not have the privilege of him signing

di81977

I did. We have a Shelby museum in Boulder and he used to come regularily for an annual Holiday party. Probably pretty hard to get one signed today.

I never installed it in my HCS. I guess I never felt it really belonged there. When I asked him about the California Special, he just brushed my question off. Wasn't interested in talking about it.

Attachments

• Shelby 1.jpg
    Shelby 1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Shelby 013.jpg
    Shelby 013.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 42

Russ

I had him sign my 1966 Shelby's glove box. He personalized the signature with the car's serial number. I'm not sure if I would have him sign my GT/CS cars, though. Russ

frank s

I've been a Shelby fan - man and cars - since the 1950s. The crusty old guy has done a great deal for the motoring and motor sports hobbies, and been instrumental in the conception, development, and success of some marvelous automobiles. If I had a chance to have him sign something on any of my cars, I'd jump at it, no doubt.

I've also supported his charity, the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation, although I haven't taken advantage of the Fund's offer to have him sign almost anything you can send him. I understand the procedure is to send the item along with a disposable camera. Someone will take his picture while he writes on your stuff, and send the whole package back to you for your viewing and archival pleasure.

I'm kind of an "as found, where found" kind of autograph hunter, and photographer: if someone's signature is desirable, and we happen to be in the same place at the same time, and I don't think a request would be out of place, I'd ask. I have been at a dozen races, parties, dinners, picnics when Mr Shelby has been there as well, and on only one occasion did I put something in front of him for autographing: at the Terlingua introduction and party in 2008 I had him sign my copy of Shelby Cars In Detail, and a print of a photo of him in a toy race car when he was a child of eight or so. He was at a table with Tom Yeager, Bob Bondurant, Bill Neale, and Cleo, and was signing everything the folks in a long, long line were offering.

On Autosport's Nostalgia Forum there has been a thread about celebrities, autographs and such. I mused that an autograph is desirable because you can be thrilled to know "the man himself was right here!" As I was thrilled - actually got a chill - when I first saw a genuine Rembrandt: relative to the painting, his hand was right there, where my hand was as I gestured at the canvas. Wow.

standard.jpg

I forgot to include my GT/CS story:
After a photo shoot at the Lajitas resort in Terlingua, Texas, I saw Mr Shelby sitting in his golf cart and talking with some executives from his firm. I figured I'd never get a better chance, so I cruised around the street, driving my white GT/CS coupe (purchased just a month or so earlier) so my window was just arm's length from him. I gestured at the stripe and lettering on the side of my car and said, "I've been wanting to tell this joke for weeks: the sales guy said the 'CS' was for 'Carroll Shelby', and ... ". Mr Shelby interrupted and said, "Or Chicken S**t". I said "That's what I was afraid of. I better take it back". Then he asked what it really stood for. Gary Patterson told him, and I missed the next comments.

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

Dash, no... a postcard, maybe... not into the "hero worship" (nothing against CS and respect all he has done, far more than many, and don't understand why so many love to tear him down) but saying "he saw my car for 28 seconds, shook my hand and signed it...look!" does absolutely zero for me... a dime a dozen... but do respect that he supports his supporters, as many "famous" folks don't, and his charity efforts.

...besides I'm kinda a purist and it didn't come from the factory that way. :tongue:

Midnight Special

Dash, no... a postcard, maybe... not into the "hero worship" (nothing against CS and respect all he has done, far more than many, and don't understand why so many love to tear him down) but saying "he saw my car for 28 seconds, shook my hand and signed it...look!" does absolutely zero for me... a dime a dozen... but do respect that he supports his supporters, as many "famous" folks don't, and his charity efforts.

...besides I'm kinda a purist and it didn't come from the factory that way. :tongue:

...Wow! That's profound!!
Can I have your autograph?
A postcard from Australia will do! ;-) ;-)

CougarCJ

I don't think that I would put a signed Carroll Shelby glove box onto my GT/CS. I really don't see the direct connection. If I had a Cobra or Shelby Mustang, maybe.

I would display a signed glove box on my wall though. I do have a signed copy of the Cobra book, signed Cobra picture, and a signed magazine advertisement.

hookedtrout

I'm thinking of going out and signing my own glove box. Is that conceited?

Never been much of an autograph hunter, deer, elk, beautiful photos, good friends all much more enjoyable to hunt down. Typically no large crowds pushing and shoving ruining the moment.

I do understand though...maybe?

clubpro

I had the honor of attending Mr. Shelby's 85th birthday party and was able to meet the man and talk with him for a short time. I did have him sign a couple of water color prints that I had purchased along with a copy of the book Remembering the Shelby Years. He is a fascinating man and a legend in the Mustang world. What other car has had one name connected to it for over 45 years? Oh yeah there was that other car, what was it called? I think that it was named after some snake... The photo is Mr. Shelby signing the print of all of the cars that he was involved with starting with the Cobra, the Tiger and then the various GT350's and GT500's. It is proudly hanging on the wall and is the first thing that you see when walking in from the garage.

Cheers,

Ron

Attachments

• Ron with Caroll Shelby.jpg
    Ron with Caroll Shelby.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 52

franklinair

No doubt Carroll Shelby is an icon in the heritage & history of the Mustang. But if I were to seek an autograph honoring the Mustang, it would be that of Lee Iacocca- 'the father of the Mustang'.
The only autograph I ever sought (and fortunately got) was Paul Tibbets. (NO, it wasn't during WWII. I'm not THAT old.):grin:

Neil

Doug

No doubt Carroll Shelby is an icon in the heritage & history of the Mustang. But if I were to seek an autograph honoring the Mustang, it would be that of Lee Iacocca- 'the father of the Mustang'.
The only autograph I ever sought (and fortunately got) was Paul Tibbets. (NO, it wasn't during WWII. I'm not THAT old.):grin: Neil

Just in case somebody does not know who Paul Tibbets was:

Paul Warfield Tibbets, Jr. (February 23, 1915 – November 1, 2007) was a brigadier general in the United States Air Force, best known for being the pilot of the Enola Gay, the first aircraft to drop an atomic bomb in the history of warfare. The bomb, code-named Little Boy, was dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima.

6t8-390gt

The only autograph I ever sought (and fortunately got) was Paul Tibbets. (NO, it wasn't during WWII. I'm not THAT old.):grin:

Neil

I have this one too. I am glad I had the pleasure to meet him before he passed.

rvrtrash

I wouldn't have him sign anything on a car, even my Shelby or Tiger, but I did have him sign a print I've had for decades of the Cobra Caravan. I thought that was appropriate.

Steve

Midnight Special

Just in case somebody does not know who Paul Tibbets was:

Paul Warfield Tibbets, Jr. (February 23, 1915 – November 1, 2007) was a brigadier general in the United States Air Force, best known for being the pilot of the Enola Gay, the first aircraft to drop an atomic bomb in the history of warfare. The bomb, code-named Little Boy, was dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima.

...Here in town, we have Chuck Yeager and Clarence "Bud" Anderson.
For years, I've been doing pencil sketches of their planes, having them sign then donating to various raffles and warbird pilots for our airshows. I attended a Flying Tigers reunion some years back and did (quick) P-40 sketch, made ten copies and had them all signed for donation purposes...

I don't have my own "wall of fame", but whether you collect autographs or not, they will always be popular with dedicated history buffs.

While I have never sold anything with their autographs, I've used them (in the same way as driving my GT/CSs) to generate enthusiasm and intrigue to make our related events all the better.

When done properly, their "living history" endorsements can open a lot of doors for you 'long as your conversations are on furthering nostalgia instead of hero worship.

'Point being - they may or not mean much to you now (while living) , but you may regret losing the opportunity when the creators of which we celebrate have all gone....>

Attachments

• AAF.jpg
    AAF.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_1507.jpg
    DSC_1507.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 44
  • two P-51's.jpg
    two P-51's.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 0266.jpg
    0266.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 47
  • P-40ft.jpg
    P-40ft.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
whodat

whodat

I received a email from The Carroll Shelby Foundation saying he was no longer signing autograph's at the foundation in Glendale. They asked me if I still wanted to donate or send my stuff back. I said the latter. Bummer!