• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Stereo Technology

Mosesatm

For those of you who long to have a cd player in your car but don't want to cut anything or attach a cd changer to anything don't fret about it any more because CDs are ancient history.

Since IPods can hold more than 200 songs and are the size of a pack of chewing gum they are all the rage......and....there are now converters on the market that plug into your lighter that allow you to play the songs on the IPod or, if you don't have an IPod, they play songs from flash cards.

We used a converter and an IPod on a recent trip from Seattle to Omak and it worked great.

The only catch for Mustang owners is that you need an FM radio because the converter transmits and FM signal that the radio picks up.

It's great, no cd player, no changer, no stacks of cds to warp or melt in the hot car!

I don't know what IPods go for these days but a 512MB flash card goes for around $40-$60 and the FM converter is around $30-40.

hookedtrout

The only draw back :-\ you have to spend countless hours downloading the music onto the ipod from a PC and make sure what you create will satisfy everyone aboard or they have to download their own. I don't have the patience, I tried it.

One better. XM sattellite radio. Every possible type of music 10 fold, you can put it on a station specific to what you like, change moods and change stations. In the mood for the Blues you got it, in the mood for Jazz you got it in the mood for some 40's you got it 60s, 70,s 80's, Rock, country, Reggae, if it's out there you got it, along with several story hour stations, comedy stations, sports, news, what ever you can imagine. They even have stations for new artists that haven't made it yet. And like ipod all you have to have is FM and it plays through your FM. I have a Roady2 XM and I strung an antenna in all my vehicles including the Camp Trailer and now all I have to do is take the Roady2 in what ever vehicle I'm in and plug it in and I have anything I want.

Downside, $10 a month, worth it to me where I can stick it in any outfit including my Camp Trailer and listen to what I want.

Hook

meadowsdk28

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1839;start=0#msg12013 date=1119881746]
The only draw back :-\ you have to spend countless hours downloading the music onto the ipod from a PC and make sure what you create will satisfy everyone aboard or they have to download their own. [/quote]

That's what you have Squeak for!! ;D My son turned me on to this last month and all my music problems are solved. And.....there is enough space on that thing (his is the 20MB that can handle 5000 songs)for everyones song list, even mine and I have 43 years worth of songs to bribe him to download. I'm picking up one soon. The adaptor plugs into the cigarette lighter and plays on an FM band. It's changed everything for me. Even my workouts. Too cool. I am still sooooo behind the times, but I'm getting there.

rvrtrash

[quote author=Mosesatm

We used a converter and an IPod on a recent trip from Seattle to Omak and it worked great.

And you didn't get in touch with me? I'm hurt. :( Did you at least golf one of the courses you wanted to go to?
Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

We're still going to hook up one of these days. When I lived in Denver it would have been so much easier because I could fly into Spokane and then drive to Omak. Now, living in Houston, I can't get to and from Spokane so I have to fly into Seattle and drive over. Luckily, I have a project in Seattle that gets me there every month or so.

On the flight back from Seattle I mapped out the different driving routes from Houston to Omak. Shortest route, highway 287 almost all the way. Three or four days, small towns the whole way, not much interstate driving, seemed good to me. I then sort of ran the idea past my wife. She didn't say anything but there was no mistaking the look I received in reply! I'm sure you guys know the look I'm talking about. Maybe if I told her we could visit Steve and Hook on the way there.......

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1839;start=0#msg12020 date=1119883774]
Maybe if I told her we could visit Steve and Hook on the way there.......
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure THAT would change THE LOOK!

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1839;start=0#msg12020 date=1119883774]
Maybe if I told her we could visit Steve and Hook on the way there.......
[/quote]

Heck yea, If you come through this area be sure and let me know, I'll take you on a float down the Henry's Fork or take you high mountain ATVing or something fun.

Speaking of which I have one more day of work and then it's two weeks off. Camper is loaded and I'm heading to Silver Creek near Sun Valley to meet up with some of my fly fishing group tomorrow night after work and fishing for 3,4, 5 days who knows then it's back home and we'll set up their camper here at the house and fish our butts off and golf for the remaining vacation.

Hook

Sarge

Wish I had known about this site years ago. I was always getting sent to teach for the Army Reserves in Spokane, Tacoma, Portland, Devil's Lake, Helena, Nampa, Boise, Rapid City, Fargo, Sturgis, Bismark, etc. etc. etc. I would have loved to catch up with the folks in the near area to see what their areas really had to offer... How come they couldn't send me to Hawaii??? Oh yeah, they did for a month... ;D

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Sarge link=board=1;threadid=1839;start=0#msg12062 date=1119923521]
Wish I had known about this site years ago. I was always getting sent to teach for the Army Reserves in Spokane, Tacoma, Portland, Devil's Lake, Helena, Nampa, Boise, Rapid City, Fargo, Sturgis, Bismark, etc. etc. etc. I would have loved to catch up with the folks in the near area to see what their areas really had to offer... How come they couldn't send me to Hawaii??? Oh yeah, they did for a month... ;D
[/quote]

Ain't it the truth! Built in buddies near every major base in the states!

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1839;start=0#msg12013 date=1119881746]
The only draw back...make sure what you create will satisfy everyone aboard....
Hook
[/quote]

Hook, it sounds like you have forgotten the 1st commandment of driving.

Commandment #1 reads as follows:

He (or she) who shalt cause a motor vehicle thingy to motivate along a paved lane at an insane velocity shall rule over the motor vehicle thingy kingdom as follows:

He or she shall have complete contol over, and those held captive must obide by, his or her decisions governing:
music choices
music volume
window positions
air temperature
bathroom breaks
food stops
any other activity that may impede the driver's pleasure resulting from the guidance of the motor vehicle thingy.

Any man, woman, or child who dares to refute the driver shall be dealt with in the harshest possible terms. The incorrigible cretin in question shall be placed in the trunk, walk, or undure " Afternoon Delight" until rendered unconscious.

Moses

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1839;start=0#msg12077 date=1119964569]
[/quote]

Any man, woman, or [glow=red,2,300]child [/glow] who dares to refute the driver shall be dealt with in the harshest possible terms. The incorrigible cretin in question shall be placed in the trunk, walk, or undure " [glow=red,2,300]Afternoon Delight[/glow]" until rendered unconscious.

Moses
[/quote]

What, when did Michael Jackson start driving....Oh man, I'm sorry. I know it's wrong even before I click on send...Oh well.

hookedtrout

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1839;start=0#msg12077 date=1119964569]

Hook, it sounds like you have forgotten the 1st commandment of driving.

[/quote]

If that only worked in the real world of women. My wife is in the car and she rules! I turn it up she turns it down Squeak requests it be turned back up and she refutes the request. And us boys being good boys ::) (while she's around) abide by the womans voice, especially when it has that tone to it. ;)

Hook

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

What's really bad is when you get the tone and the look.

nfrntau

I used to get the tone, the look AND a few knuckles when I was married. That's one of the reasons I'm not married anymore. ;D

As far as the kids go I've found a good blind whack to the first kid unlucky enough to be in the way quiets them down pretty quick. At least for a little while.

Yes, I remember the days when not only was that considered acceptable but it was expected.